What's new

Elliot's Journal

Another amazing shave kit!

How would you describe the scent of Bergamotto? I've been eyeballing that but I'm on the fence.
Thank you, my friend.
So, it’s subtle. Could really play nicely with a lot of other scents in the sandbox. I don’t get a big hit of citrus overall. Just a touch of it. If you’re looking for more intense scent, I may look at something else. But it’s light and fresh and lovely for that mood.

Shave 40: Comparison continues

Razor:
Rocnel Elite
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock black
Brush: Morris & Forndran Legacy Badger
Pre: The Tube + Crown Shaving Co.
Soap: SV 70th
After: Ethos Vintage 1936 Mysore

As planned, I went to the Rocnel this morning to try and get a closer comparison with the Blutt. I even changed blades so they were both using 7 O’clock Black blades.

More testing will be needed, but they are clearly both fabulous razors. I think the Blutt felt a little smoother this time and I think I enjoy its look and feel just a touch more. That said, if clean fit & finish is a high priority for you, it’s not really a contest. The Rocnel is a superior piece from a machining perspective. That’s the clearest distinction between the two. So it’s not that the Blutt is “better” as it relates to look and feel. Just preference.

Absolute BBS results, not a weeper to be found. All software has been used before (I don’t have anything new), and are keepers, with the two after products existing in the top-tier.

The brush is very much growing on me and was a pleasure to use.

Forgot to take a pic today, so you’ll have to take my word for it.

Happy Mother’s Day to those celebrating with their families.

Shave 41

Razor:
Wolfman WR2 0.95 SB
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock black
Brush: SOC Mistura
Pre: The Tube + ABC Crema Pre Barba
Soap: Ethos Lavender
After: SV 70th

Extremely enjoyable shave this morning. A few more weepers than I have had in recent memory -- not sure why -- but also not putting much thought into it. The Wolfman is lovely, but I do see limitations with the Darwin handle. It's a stunning handle, no doubt, but I do believe it's about aesthetics and not function. The other handle I have is superior. Granted, this was my first use with it, but even then. I think when I add my OC WR1, the lighter Darwin handle may end up a perfect match.

Big highlights for this shave were as follows:

- Second use of the Ethos soap and it's so clear what the fuss is all about. I have more than enough soaps, but I will be getting more from this brand. Performance is good, but it's not just about that. I have plenty of soaps that produce a good canvas for shaving. The scent is a triumph.

- The Mistura continues to find its way. One (me included) could easily discount it as the forgotten child surrounded by higher-end products. Is it a top two or three or even four brush in the den? No. but it's hanging in there and has its space cemented. When I consider a pair down, I am more likely to move on from a Paladin (since I have two) or something else. I just enjoy it.

A little irritation and a few annoyed bits of my neck limit the overall experience, but we live to shave another day.

05E49FF8-3E63-4171-A7E7-7FFEB0F656AD.jpeg

- Second use of the Ethos soap and it's so clear what the fuss is all about. I have more than enough soaps, but I will be getting more from this brand. Performance is good, but it's not just about that. I have plenty of soaps that produce a good canvas for shaving. The scent is a triumph.

Yes! Exactly!

- The Mistura continues to find its way. One (me included) could easily discount it as the forgotten child surrounded by higher-end products. Is it a top two or three or even four brush in the den? No. but it's hanging in there and has its space cemented. When I consider a pair down, I am more likely to move on from a Paladin (since I have two) or something else. I just enjoy it.

Yes! Exactly!

:jump:

A few very nice shaves in the last week, using a lot of different items.
This morning's shave with the ATT X1 Slant AC was perhaps the most enjoyable. I really do enjoy many of my DE razors (and have one currently en route), but I must say. . .the AC format does just seem to work extremely well for me.

I should have taken a picture of today's set, but it was a doozie.
Took delivery of a WR1 OC 0.61 a couple days ago and got a chance to take it for a ride, in addition to the Wald getting its first work.

I REALLY like the OC! There was a considerable amount of additional blade feel, and some weepers to boot, but I actually really enjoyed the additional blade feel. Despite using the trusty and mild Astra SP, it was the most blade feel I have gotten on a safety razor shave to date. A brilliant match for the Darwin handle, also.

And the brush... triumphantly in the top-tier immediately. As more time goes on, I do find that synthetics may be something to look deeper into, especially if seeking that buttery soft feel.

GLORIOUS SHAVE!

Razor: Atelier Durdan La Faulx, polished bronze
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: SV Manchurian
Pre: Truefitt & Hill oil + Crown Shaving Co. gel
Soap: MdC Vetyver
After: AdP Colonia

After I completed my time with La Faulx as part of the passaround, I immediately ordered one. It took about three months to get and, in that time, I worried (only a little) that the romance of the razor may have been just due to my temporary stay.

All wrong.

This is my favorite razor. I thought it was after the passaround, but today's shave just cemented it.

Absolute brilliant craftsmanship, truly in the top-tier. As easy and mindless as the Overlander (high praise) and yet as visually stunning as a Wolfman or Lambda. While those razors are plenty smooth, La Faulx is another level of sans worry.

Lovely software today, asI wanted my maiden voyage with the new razor to be as plush as possible.

I really don't have more to say. It's a triumph. It is a fiscally restrictive razor for many. I get that. But... if I had to go down to one razor, this would be it and, frankly, I don't think I would feel like I am missing a whole lot.

IMG_1619.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
GLORIOUS SHAVE!

After I completed my time with La Faulx as part of the passaround, I immediately ordered one. It took about three months to get and, in that time, I worried (only a little) that the romance of the razor may have been just due to my temporary stay.

All wrong.

This is my favorite razor. I thought it was after the passaround, but today's shave just cemented it.

Absolute brilliant craftsmanship, truly in the top-tier. As easy and mindless as the Overlander (high praise) and yet as visually stunning as a Wolfman or Lambda. While those razors are plenty smooth, La Faulx is another level of sans worry.

Lovely software today, asI wanted my maiden voyage with the new razor to be as plush as possible.

I really don't have more to say. It's a triumph. It is a fiscally restrictive razor for many. I get that. But... if I had to go down to one razor, this would be it and, frankly, I don't think I would feel like I am missing a whole lot.

View attachment 1671393
Wow, That is beautiful!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
GLORIOUS SHAVE!

All wrong.

View attachment 1671393
I have to say..... that is a thing of beauty.... Shaving art... and the added bonus, it shaves as well as it looks, based on your experiences. I can see myself owning one one day... and I'd chose bronze as well. What a lovely razor and the stand enhances it as well.

I probably overlooked a post with the gap you chose, so I'll ask a possibly redundant question: Did you order the 1.2 gap or a smaller one?

I have to say..... that is a thing of beauty.... Shaving art... and the added bonus, it shaves as well as it looks, based on your experiences. I can see myself owning one one day... and I'd chose bronze as well. What a lovely razor and the stand enhances it as well.

I probably overlooked a post with the gap you chose, so I'll ask a possibly redundant question: Did you order the 1.2 gap or a smaller one?
Ah,I may not have mentioned!! It's the Classique, which I do not recall the gap for.
Le Maurice, the DE razor from Augustin, just left the house. In that, I would likely order the 1.2.

It was a very nice razor, but, frankly speaking...

Two Wolfmans, Blutt, Rocnel, Greencult, Athena, Blackbird and Overlander make me hesitant to add more DE razors. This doesn't include some other AC's

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ah,I may not have mentioned!! It's the Classique, which I do not recall the gap for.
Le Maurice, the DE razor from Augustin, just left the house. In that, I would likely order the 1.2.

It was a very nice razor, but, frankly speaking...

Two Wolfmans, Blutt, Rocnel, Greencult, Athena, Blackbird and Overlander make me hesitant to add more DE razors. This doesn't include some other AC's
My bad... I mixed up the two razors... DE and AC. I know you got his AC razor... I should have realized that from your Classique comments above.... thx for the clarification.

GLORIOUS SHAVE!

All wrong.

View attachment 1671393
You have an array of wonderful kit there, Elliot. I love the unique scent of MdC Vetyver - it’s earthy and real. I really like vetiver and I’ve never smelled vetiver as good as MdC’s.

As you know, I feel the same as you about the La Faulx. I was lucky to find one I could buy off the shelf from a French retailer, and I’ve had six shaves with it so far - three were great, three were the best shaves I’ve ever had for closeness, ease and comfort. I’ve used only one Kai AC blade for all six shaves and there’s no deterioration so far.

With my bronze, copper and brass razors I like to clean and dry them thoroughly to prevent any water drops causing patchy patina spots. I take less care with steel or titanium - saves time but grey metal isn’t as beautiful. I do find AC SE razors a bit more fiddly than DE razors to remove, clean and replace the blade, so I’m uncertain about buying a bronze or copper La Faulx. I’d love polished copper especially for the look, and your polished bronze looks much more special than my satin steel one. Such a good razor deserves to be finished beautifully. So I’m on the fence. I will definitely order another one but I haven”t decided if the second one will be polished titanium or polished bronze/copper. I’ll be very interested in your feelings about care of this beautiful razor.

It’s lovely to see such a crisp and well lit photo of your stuff. Thanks for posting it and I am not surprised in the slightest that you had an amazing shave.

You have an array of wonderful kit there, Elliot. I love the unique scent of MdC Vetyver - it’s earthy and real. I really like vetiver and I’ve never smelled vetiver as good as MdC’s.

As you know, I feel the same as you about the La Faulx. I was lucky to find one I could buy off the shelf from a French retailer, and I’ve had six shaves with it so far - three were great, three were the best shaves I’ve ever had for closeness, ease and comfort. I’ve used only one Kai AC blade for all six shaves and there’s no deterioration so far.

With my bronze, copper and brass razors I like to clean and dry them thoroughly to prevent any water drops causing patchy patina spots. I take less care with steel or titanium - saves time but grey metal isn’t as beautiful. I do find AC SE razors a bit more fiddly than DE razors to remove, clean and replace the blade, so I’m uncertain about buying a bronze or copper La Faulx. I’d love polished copper especially for the look, and your polished bronze looks much more special than my satin steel one. Such a good razor deserves to be finished beautifully. So I’m on the fence. I will definitely order another one but I haven”t decided if the second one will be polished titanium or polished bronze/copper. I’ll be very interested in your feelings about care of this beautiful razor.

It’s lovely to see such a crisp and well lit photo of your stuff. Thanks for posting it and I am not surprised in the slightest that you had an amazing shave.
Thank you, my friend.
While I do typically love patina as a knife person, I will be painstakingly maintaining this one to remain as shiny and pristine as humanely possible. As soon as I finished the shave, I took the razor apart, rinsed and dried all parts independently. I also do this for my bronze and other brass razors.
A man of your taste, not to be an enabler, truly must have a polished version of this razor. I can imagine it sitting next to your horn Plisson, AdP and a truly luxurious soap. Opulence and joy.

Thank you, my friend.
While I do typically love patina as a knife person, I will be painstakingly maintaining this one to remain as shiny and pristine as humanely possible. As soon as I finished the shave, I took the razor apart, rinsed and dried all parts independently. I also do this for my bronze and other brass razors.
A man of your taste, not to be an enabler, truly must have a polished version of this razor. I can imagine it sitting next to your horn Plisson, AdP and a truly luxurious soap. Opulence and joy.
I agree. It will be polished copper or polished titanium. I’d choose copper if it isn’t a pfaff. But the different weight of titanium makes sense as an option too (although why change what I’m already happy with when less weight will alter the feel and performance).

First world dilemma, I know. No bad choices.

I do keep a private list of my razor rankings, and a separate list of my favourite kit (razor, soap, brush, etc.). What you listed there is pretty much the favourite kit list right now.

Top Bottom