What's new

Elite Razors White Manchurian Review

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I got this brush mid last month and it's been my primary brush ever since while I break it in. I figured it's a good time to do a review now that I've spent some quality time with it.

proxy.php

I'll do my best to break this down by category, starting with the handle and then going into the knot itself. In the case of this brush, the handle is Black Onyx Quartz. I elected to try this out for a look similar to Faux Ebony but the idea of a stone handle appealed to me. The quality is great. It's got a nice weight in hand. It's hard to tell it's actually stone, TBH, unless the handle gets cold and then it becomes evident that it isn't simply a resin. Overall I really enjoy the handle. It's weighty and comfortable. I'll be keeping an eye out for other handle styles like it in the future.

Moving on to the knot, I'm going I start with the density. It's no Chubby, maybe closer in density to a Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip. It might be ever so slightly more dense than that but I no longer have my 2 Band Silvertip in my collection to compare.

The shape is their fan shape, which is a bit of a hybrid shape. I am happy that I chose this knot shape. In this case it's a 24mm knot. I'm not sure about the exact loft but it's perfect for my tastes, likely around 50mm.

The backbone of the hair itself is quite good and it's paired with VERY soft tips. The hair itself reminds me of the Wiborg White I had a couple of years ago. It's also similar to Thater 2 Band in feel but the loft is lower than a Thater and the knot feels a little more dense.

The soft tips of this brush make it take a bit more loading time than my Chubby 2 Manchurian, however it also has a much softer face feel than the Simpson's Manchurian hair. It's more gentle on the skin while the Chubby is more scrubby. The Elite is a great choice for anybody looking for a brush with very soft tips at a good price point.

I will note that, when new, the brush shed quite a bit. About a dozen hairs shed in the first use, and 5-6 hairs lost in the next handful of uses. The brush is now no longer shedding more than a hair every few shaves so this was surely just hairs that didn't get glued in place solidly.

I don't often review brushes, just every now and then when I am really impressed with something. I have tried numerous brushes in different fibers and Badger is my favorite still. This particular Badger belongs in the top ranks with Thater, Shavemac, M&F, etc... At least in my opinion. And yet you'll also get fabulous value out of the brushes with very interesting handle options to boot. This is as close to a perfect brush as I've found with variety being the only reason to use anything else. I think you should all go buy some Elites right away. They'll do custom orders for you as well if you like.

Open to questions and other comparisons if anyone asks.

Outstanding brushes. I can't recommend the Elite Manchurian White highly enough. I have one with a nice tall handle. Mine is 26mm x 50 or 51 mm loft and I have never seen a hair shed from it. Aside from that I agree with everything you said. Similar feel at the tips to a Thater 4125 2 band, but with lower loft and more density, so a little more backbone. My Shavemac is a D01 and I would say that it is slightly more dense than the Elite MW, but it is really close.

Excellent review. I too would put it in a category via face feel, of a Shavemac 2-band. The great thing is its awesome quality for probably half the price of higher end knots. Thanks for sharing.

I cannot say enough good things about Elite Razor, both the handles and especially the knots.

The knots that I have are less dense than my Shavemac 2 band silvertip. They are more dense than my Paladin and remind me of thater's 2 band density.

The tips of the knots I have are either gel or almost gel. No prickly bristles in them like the Thater 2 band.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Forgot to mention, and my camera doesn't quite pick it up, but the tips of the White Manchurian are really the whitest I've ever seen. When light hits them they practically glow a pure white at the very ends of the hair.

I have three. 24mm bulb and fan and 28mm bulb.

They're excellent brushes. Bob is a great craftsman and artist. He is great to deal with. I also have one of his earlier two band silvertips. It's one beautiful brush.

The Manchurian 2 band are truly special for sure.

Excellent review. I have two of Bob's Manchurian White knots. Of my 21 brushes, this is my favorite knot.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Great detailed review. Love the picture also. Nice set up there.

Thanks! The setup there changes based on what products I'm enjoying. My wife won't let me keep too much of my collection on the counter so I set out one soap, one brush, and one AS and use them for a few days. Then I'll change it up. Right now it's all Sudsy Soapery for both soap and AS. The No. 88 is a pretty photogenic soap though.

Great review , I own 4 Elite Manchurian brushes and they are my hands down favorite knots . Only one of my brushes was turned by Bob my other 3 are custom handles with Elites knots set in them .

Bob does great work. He made me a custom stand several years ago, and was kind enough to let me pick it up at his house. I saved shipping and got to meet him.

Top Bottom