What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For those of you who like a long, tall, classic looking brush, this one might be for you. The handle measures 89mm in height and it is cut to accept a 26mm knot. The top is an Ivory colored resin over a base of a beautiful Cocobolo specimen. The base also features a Brass accent ring. This brush has just been listed on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

[Image: exkIP9M.jpg]
[Image: XfqWZ6m.jpg]

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob
Love Cocobolo, however, I am highly allergic to it!! Great piece.

I have gotten back to turning some stone brushes and have just listed these five beauties on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Larimar (26mm)

Larimar, a distinctive gem is found exclusively within a small inaccessible mountainous region of the Dominican Republic. It is a variety of Pectolite, an acid silicate hydrate of calcium and sodium, not a very uncommon mineral in all parts of the world. However, Larimar demands attention by gemologists because of its brilliant volcanic blue coloration.

The discovery of Larimar, also known as the Dolphin or Atlantis stone, is quite phenomenal. The blue coloration that is rarely found in gems, combined with its occurrence only in a small inaccessible island makes it rarer. Today, Larimar is regarded as a treasure to possess and this is solely attributed to the wonderful brilliance of the stone and its effect on humans.
[Image: PMHVTxa.jpg]
[Image: CPAmLwM.jpg]

Tourmaline Laced Quartz (26mm)

Tourmaline Laced Quartz is found in mountainous areas throughout the United States, but predominately in the northern Sierra Nevada area. Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust, after Feldspar. Quartz can appear in many colors from bright purple to milky white to absolutely clear. Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder, believed Quartz to be water ice, permanently frozen after great lengths of time. (The word "crystal" comes from the Greek word for purity.) He supported this idea by saying that Quartz is found near glaciers in the Alps, but not on volcanic mountains.
[Image: ZVxWNJu.jpg]
[Image: DCGnSYr.jpg]

Bloody Basin Jasper (26mm)

Bloody Basin Jasper is associated with the Zodiac sign of Taurus. Red Jasper was a much sought-after gem in the very ancient times and today it is used for aesthetic as well as industrial purposes. It belongs to the family of quartz. The name is Greek in origin, meaning “spotted or speckled stone”. The color of Jasper ranges from red to shades of brown due to the presence of ferric oxide. But with the combination of other minerals it gets a colorful, banded appearance. In mythology, Jasper is said to have powers to keep evil and fatal insect or reptile bites at bay. This particularly handsome Bloody Basin Jasper stone is named for the mine in which it is found. It is native to Arizona and is prized for its' deep crimson tone with jet black veins.
[Image: knY8WQA.jpg]
[Image: wLJxpLE.jpg]

Wild Horse Jasper (26mm)

Wild Horse Jasper, which is associated with the birthstone month of January. Wild Horse Jasper is named for the location where it is mined, at the Wild Horse Canyon in Oregon. It belongs to the family of quartz. The name is Greek in origin, meaning “spotted or speckled stone” and Jasper was a favorite gemstone of ancient times and can be traced back to Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Latin, and Assyrian literature. In mythology, Jasper is said to have powers to keep evil and fatal insect or reptile bites at bay. This particularly handsome Wild Horse Jasper stone is prized for its' crimson and jet-black veins.
[Image: UXVSAg6.jpg]
[Image: awlhPpa.jpg]

Chrysocolla (26mm)

Chrysocolla, which is an alluring, vivid blue-green color and is often mistaken for turquoise. The rich, vibrant blue and green colors of Chrysocolla are reminiscent of looking down upon the earth's surface from space. The name Chrysocolla was first used to describe the stone by Theophrastus, a Greek philosopher and botanist, in 315 B.C. The word was derived from the Greek words chrysos, meaning gold, and kola, meaning glue, referencing the fact that Chrysocolla was employed from the earliest times by goldsmiths as an ingredient for solder to weld gold pieces together. In ancient Egypt, it was called the "wise stone" because it shielded and encouraged the mind during negotiations, which is why, as an ambassador, Cleopatra wore Chrysocolla jewelry everywhere she went.
[Image: MQqqiZd.jpg]
[Image: GR9pjAo.jpg]

Bob

Due to the CITES Treaty, Honduran Rosewood has become very scarce, with high quality wood scarcer still. I was fortunate to acquire some CITES certified Gallery Grade Plus figured Honduran Rosewood burl in dimensions I can use for 24 and 26mm brush handles. This the best quality Rosewood burl I've seen in 15 years. The brush shown below is the first I've completed from this wonderful wood and it has just been listed on my site.

Honduran Rosewood Burl (26mm)
[Image: O7Vs1S8.jpg]

Bob

Due to the CITES Treaty, Honduran Rosewood has become very scarce, with high quality wood scarcer still. I was fortunate to acquire some CITES certified Gallery Grade Plus figured Honduran Rosewood burl in dimensions I can use for 24 and 26mm brush handles. This the best quality Rosewood burl I've seen in 15 years. The brush shown below is the first I've completed from this wonderful wood and it has just been listed on my site.

Honduran Rosewood Burl (26mm)
[Image: O7Vs1S8.jpg]

Bob

Ok that is hands down the most beautiful wood I have ever seen.

These are something new I've been working on. Adding a hint of a complimentary or contrasting color to the upper portion of the brush handle to highlight the color in the base of the handle. I have just listed these handles on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Ivory over Blue and Copper (26mm)
[Image: fzKmg5R.jpg]

Ivory over Blue and Silver (24mm)
[Image: O6py2Fo.jpg]

Black and Copper over "Blue Haze" (26mm)
[Image: 5XtWwix.jpg]

Bob

Another two new brushes that have just been listed at Elite Razor.

Speckled Amber (26mm)
[Image: jpcrIut.jpg]
[Image: vT2b6Kz.jpg]

Malachite (26mm)
[Image: L6xwHF9.jpg]
[Image: J7Mt1wy.jpg]

Bob

This one is special. It is a Mokume-Gane fusion of Copper and Carbon that has some of the best figure I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

Technology only recently made this material available in a form that may be worked on a lathe. Mokume-Gane (pronounced Moe-koo-may Gah-nay) is the ancient Japanese metal working technique where layers of contrasting color metals such as copper, brass, nickel silver, gold, and silver are fusion welded with very high heat and pressure into one solid block of metal. Traditional Mokume-Gane is extremely rare and sells for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a very small quantity. The name “Mokume Gane” refers to the visual appearance of a pattern in metal approximating that of wood. “Mokume” literally means “wood eye”, which would be used to describe a highly figured wood grain. “Gane” translates as metal. So, in English, “wood grain metal” is a near-literal translation.

Copper and Carbon (26mm)
[Image: wPpvsZ4.jpg]
[Image: lCrWIQd.jpg]

Bob

Tried to find it, must have sold already. Beautiful handle, great work.
Thanks for the kind words. As you know, each of my brushes are built one at a time. Consequently, they are listed as individual items and this one went very quickly.

Bob

I recently received an email from a gentleman who was disappointed that when he went to find a brush I had posted as available, it was out of stock. He felt I was merely posting a picture of "out of stock" or limited items in order to garner traffic to my site. The brush in question sold within 10 minutes of being posted (it was a really nice brush) and was correctly reflected as out of stock at the time he visited my site.

I want to take this opportunity to re-introduce (or introduce to the new members) myself and my business. I am a one-man shop and have been building shaving gear for almost 15 years. Every razor or brush you see listed on my site shares one attribute in common, they were all built by me, by hand, in my shop and they are all unique. Consequently, each item I post is a 1 of 1 piece and by definition, a limited item. When it is sold, it is gone. Some pieces find a home right away and others remain in inventory for a while.

I truly enjoy turning these pieces and I thank all of you who have supported my work over the years. For me, it is a labor of love that I hope to enjoy for many more years to come.

Now that is off my chest, below are two new pieces I just completed today and are now listed and available on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Arizona Jade (26mm)

Arizona Jade or North American Jade, also known as Jadeite is found in areas from the southwest up to Montana. Jade stone is very hard and was shaped into tools by Neolithic people. The Aztecs, Mayas and other North American peoples of Mexico and Central America carved Jadeite for use as ornaments, amulets and badges of rank.

[Image: z8NaQzR.jpg]
[Image: w20CDzh.jpg]

Wild Horse Jasper (26mm)

Wild Horse Jasper is associated with the birthstone month of January. Wild Horse Jasper is named for the location where it is mined, at the Wild Horse Canyon in Oregon. It belongs to the family of quartz. The name is Greek in origin, meaning “spotted or speckled stone” and Jasper was a favorite gemstone of ancient times and can be traced back to Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Latin, and Assyrian literature. In mythology, Jasper is said to have powers to keep evil and fatal insect or reptile bites at bay. This particularly handsome Wild Horse Jasper stone is prized for its' crimson and jet-black veins.

[Image: Rq6692j.jpg]
[Image: HYJjY7s.jpg]

Bob

I recently received an email from a gentleman who was disappointed that when he went to find a brush I had posted as available, it was out of stock. He felt I was merely posting a picture of "out of stock" or limited items in order to garner traffic to my site. The brush in question sold within 10 minutes of being posted (it was a really nice brush) and was correctly reflected as out of stock at the time he visited my site.

I want to take this opportunity to re-introduce (or introduce to the new members) myself and my business. I am a one-man shop and have been building shaving gear for almost 15 years. Every razor or brush you see listed on my site shares one attribute in common, they were all built by me, by hand, in my shop and they are all unique. Consequently, each item I post is a 1 of 1 piece and by definition, a limited item. When it is sold, it is gone. Some pieces find a home right away and others remain in inventory for a while.

I truly enjoy turning these pieces and I thank all of you who have supported my work over the years. For me, it is a labor of love that I hope to enjoy for many more years to come.

Now that is off my chest, below are two new pieces I just completed today and are now listed and available on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Arizona Jade (26mm)

Arizona Jade or North American Jade, also known as Jadeite is found in areas from the southwest up to Montana. Jade stone is very hard and was shaped into tools by Neolithic people. The Aztecs, Mayas and other North American peoples of Mexico and Central America carved Jadeite for use as ornaments, amulets and badges of rank.

Wild Horse Jasper (26mm)

Wild Horse Jasper is associated with the birthstone month of January. Wild Horse Jasper is named for the location where it is mined, at the Wild Horse Canyon in Oregon. It belongs to the family of quartz. The name is Greek in origin, meaning “spotted or speckled stone” and Jasper was a favorite gemstone of ancient times and can be traced back to Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Latin, and Assyrian literature. In mythology, Jasper is said to have powers to keep evil and fatal insect or reptile bites at bay. This particularly handsome Wild Horse Jasper stone is prized for its' crimson and jet-black veins.

Bob

I want to say as far as the individual who is basically accusing you of bait and switch, that kind of upsets me. Bob is a great guy and really friendly and is a great part of the wet shaving community in a whole. I dont understand how you could be accused of any sorts of shady practices. Let's look at say That Darn Rob and Grizzly Bay. So then I would assume that person also accuses both of those individuals for bait and switch practices as well. Cause they show pics of brushes before they release them. Look how fast those go every time they drop brushes. These artisan makers turn brushes by hand by themselves. When they sale that's it. Artisan makers do not mass produce brushes. If you look at Bob's brushes you can tell he loves what he does and it shows in his brushes. If you hold one of his brushes you will feel and see the quality and passion in his brushes. If the person who sent you that email Bob is a member here then I hope they read this.

Here is some advice. Instead of accusing individuals of shady business practices maybe try sending an email asking if you could work with them to make another handle like the one that sold in 10 minutes. Also, talk to the shop owner about the brush first instead of just accusing someone of shady practices. I just dont get why you would go straight to accusing Bob instead of talking to him first because the brush wasnt on his site. This country has become blast happy. If someone doesn't get their way they automatically want to blast a business. This false accusations can destroy a business, and have destroyed many businesses. I really get upset when people do this.

Bob you make amazing handles and are a great guy. I love so many of your handles. Keep making amazing handles, and being a great guy to deal with.

I want to say as far as the individual who is basically accusing you of bait and switch, that kind of upsets me. Bob is a great guy and really friendly and is a great part of the wet shaving community in a whole. I dont understand how you could be accused of any sorts of shady practices. Let's look at say That Darn Rob and Grizzly Bay. So then I would assume that person also accuses both of those individuals for bait and switch practices as well. Cause they show pics of brushes before they release them. Look how fast those go every time they drop brushes. These artisan makers turn brushes by hand by themselves. When they sale that's it. Artisan makers do not mass produce brushes. If you look at Bob's brushes you can tell he loves what he does and it shows in his brushes. If you hold one of his brushes you will feel and see the quality and passion in his brushes. If the person who sent you that email Bob is a member here then I hope they read this.

Here is some advice. Instead of accusing individuals of shady business practices maybe try sending an email asking if you could work with them to make another handle like the one that sold in 10 minutes. Also, talk to the shop owner about the brush first instead of just accusing someone of shady practices. I just dont get why you would go straight to accusing Bob instead of talking to him first because the brush wasnt on his site. This country has become blast happy. If someone doesn't get their way they automatically want to blast a business. This false accusations can destroy a business, and have destroyed many businesses. I really get upset when people do this.

Bob you make amazing handles and are a great guy. I love so many of your handles. Keep making amazing handles, and being a great guy to deal with.
I second that I have bought about 20 brushes from Bob, all beautiful and unique. I've missed getting some of his I wanted but have alway had a great experience buying from Bob. Keep up the great work.

My response when I see a brush that moves me and find that it is gone is always the same: regret and relief :) That dang copper/carbon Mokume-Gane being a perfect example.

Arizona Jade (26mm)

Wild Horse Jasper (26mm)

Bob
I can't wait until the wild horse jasper arrives and joins your other works of functional art.

Well, I've had my head down and spent a good bit of time in the shop recently, satisfying some custom orders and building some new pieces for the site in between. The first couple of pieces shown below are the custom work I just finished, followed by the pieces that have just been listed at www.eliterazor.com

Custom Work:

Curly Mango with alternating Copper Laced Onyx bands
[Image: JlUImAV.jpg]

Honduran Rosewood Burl
[Image: D3MlIKR.jpg]

Mokume-Gane fusion of Copper and Carbon
[Image: BlmjXgq.jpg]

Multiple segments of resin with a band of Desert Ironwood bracketed by Brass rings
[Image: HzIIxYE.jpg]

Newly added pieces:

Ivory with a black band over Red and Silver (26mm)
[Image: N2bSgBI.jpg]

Ivory over Blue and Silver (26mm)
[Image: 32vPvXB.jpg]

Black and White Ebony (24mm)

Black and White Ebony is found in Southeast Asia and Laos. Black & White Ebony is considered to be a rare find and is one of the more expensive timbers on the commercial market. A heavy wood, the core is cream colored with gray and brilliant black marble shading. Black and White Ebony is used primarily for woodcrafts and decorative items.
[Image: tMQfA5R.jpg]

Honduran Rosewood Burl - Gallery Grade (24mm)
[Image: fEf5CmP.jpg]

Bob

I just completed this handle today. It was from a pour I did several months ago and had been sitting patiently on my bench for too long. Although I had poured several different colors, the outside of the resulting blank was all brown. Imagine my surprise as I started turning away material and exposed what was underneath that brown veneer. Shown below are 4 pictures, each after a 1/4 turn, to show how the color combinations move around this handle.

I only wish I had turned it sooner so I would remember how the pour went.

Multicolor (26mm)

[Image: 7ng0IZ6.jpg]
[Image: zLlhKLH.jpg]

[Image: AaTKgwA.jpg]
[Image: htYNll7.jpg]

Bob

Top Bottom