What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

I finished up a couple of cartridge razors today and have just listed them on my site. They are available with either a Fusion or a Mach 3 head assembly.

Copper Laced Onyx

Copper Laced Onyx is a member of the chalcedony family which also includes carnelian, agate, bloodstone, etc. Occurring naturally in a variety of colors, black onyx is polished to enhance appearance, a member of the quartz family. The name comes from the Greek word onyx which means nail of a finger or claw. Legend says that one day while Venus was sleeping Eros/Cupid cut her fingernails and left the clippings scattered on the ground. Because no part of a heavenly body can die, the gods turned them into stone which later became known as Onyx.

[Image: eIXHity.jpg]

Casein

Casein is a most unusual material made from the protein by-product of milk. Casein has been used as glue since antiquity, but the first patents for the modern materials are from 1885 and 1886 in Germany. Some of the earliest plastics were based on casein. In particular, Galalith was well known for use in buttons. The earliest objects made of Casein imitated traditional items made of horn or ivory. Casein was widely used through the 1950's for small, hard items such as buttons, beads, poker chips, fountain pens, umbrella and bag handles, as well as knitting needles and various adhesives.

[Image: VbH4zRr.jpg]

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob

Each Christmas I build one special brush that is usually a gift for a family member. As all my family members are now "brushed out", I am offering the 2019 edition of the Christmas brush for sale. This is a 1 of 1 and truly unique piece.

Christmas 2019 Brush - 26mm
[Image: agE1O6R.jpg]
[Image: BJkAk8r.jpg]

I also want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday from me and the "Shop Dog" (he's still annoyed that we made him wear the sweater). Thanks so much for all the support you have given my work.

[Image: Mmq2q0S.jpg]

Bob

Merry Christmas to all my friends at Badger & Blade. I wish you and your families all the best.

I just finished up two new brushes before I shut down my shop for the Christmas holiday. These have just been listed on my site.

Corian - 24mm

Corian is a synthetic material created by DuPont. Although it's primary use is for kitchen worktops and bathroom vanity tops, its durability and waterproof characteristics make it ideal for use as a razor or brush handle.

[Image: 211pytN.jpg]
[Image: 4bubiWv.jpg]

Brown, Gold and White resin (26mm)

[Image: xvy5Wvv.jpg]
[Image: TQeJBs7.jpg]

Bob

I've been working on a couple of very special brush handles over the past several weeks and the last coat of finish cured overnight - a Christmas Miracle. These are all exceptional brushes and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did building them.

These are all now listed and available on my site.

Ancient Kauri - 26mm

Ancient Kauri, the World's oldest workable wood. New Zealand native Kauri trees that fell thousands of years ago are known simply as Ancient Kauri. The trees have been buried and preserved underground in swamps for more than 45,000 years. Numerous independent radio carbon dating by world experts confirm that at more than 45,000 years old, the buried Ancient Kauri recovered in the far north of New Zealand is among the oldest of all Ancient Kauri found and certainly the oldest workable wood in the world… by a long, long way. Ancient Kauri pre-dates the migration of Neanderthal man into North America, the hunt for mammoths and cave paintings in Europe. The Kauri forest was already buried some 25,000 years before the on-set of the last Ice Age giving scientists an important insight into Earths climatic past.

[Image: XuxASSu.jpg]
[Image: 3rIVTrw.jpg]

Waterfall Bubinga - 26mm

Waterfall Bubinga grows in Equatorial Africa, from Cameroon and Gabon to southeast Nigeria, to the Congo region, and to some extent, in Zaire. Bubinga sapwood is very pale with clear demarcations. A variety of colors can be found in the heartwood, that include pink, vivid red, or red-brown with purple veining. On exposure, the veining becomes less conspicuous, and the deep colors fade to yellow or medium brown with a reddish tint. Waterfall Bubinga has a wavy grain reminiscent of ripples on water. Unusual and beautiful curved figuring makes Bubinga an excellent choice for architectural woodwork and veneers, furniture inlays and musical instruments. The most popular use of Bubinga is as veneers, especially the highly figured logs, such as this beautiful piece with the "Waterfall" grain pattern.

[Image: Aif3n52.jpg]
[Image: Er8ANsC.jpg]

Black Ash Burl - 26mm

Black Ash burl is native to the Great Lakes and Acadia regions of North America. The wood of black ash is strongly ring-porous, making it ideal for basketry splint, barrel hoops, snowshoe frames, canoe ribs, and material for woven chair seats. It is darker colored with more grain and used largely for furniture and interior finish. Black ash is an important tree for the making of lacrosse sticks used by the Mohawk and other tribes of the Eastern United States. The inner bark of the black ash was used to make a bark barrel by the Iroquois which was made for storing dried vegetables, fruits, and seeds, as well as clothing. The tree traditionally was a valuable medicine to many tribes in Eastern North America.

[Image: o3h0Czk.jpg]
[Image: ZHqOEEn.jpg]

Bloodwood - 26mm

Bloodwood is found in the Amazon Basin and a wide range of tropical South American areas. The sapwood of Bloodwood is clearly demarcated and yellowish in color. The heartwood varies in color from red with a golden luster, to a deep, rich reddish-brown. It is fine textured and enhanced by a satiny appearance. Bloodwood’s vivid red color makes it popular for decorative veneers used in small quantities for marquetry, inlay and for banding in high-end furniture and cabinetry.

[Image: ds0knoh.jpg]
[Image: 8nDC2Wx.jpg]

Autumn Colors - 26mm

Spectraply is made from 1/16 hardwood veneers that are vacuum impregnated with dye and phenolic resin. The veneers are layered and compressed under high pressure and heat to slightly over half the original thickness. The result is a dense, warp-resistant material that will finish to a high polish without stains or finishes. The primary consumer of SpectraPly is the firearms industry, which utilizes the material in over 1,000 rifle stocks per day.

[Image: ScMTGT9.jpg]
[Image: oqcjhQ0.jpg]

Bob

A couple of new stone pieces have just been added at Elite Razor.

Wild Horse Jasper - 26mm
[Image: VXarw5S.jpg]

Kingman Turquoise Razor Handle
[Image: eaewBM2.jpg]

Larimar Razor Handle
[Image: h3wt3IY.jpg]

Bob

This Gold Laced Onyx is one of my favorite materials to turn. It always finishes beautifully and creates a piece that is stunning.

Gold Laced Onyx - 26mm
[Image: UlnrUGo.jpg]
[Image: 7D60zim.jpg]

Bob

Lots of new brushes just came out of the shop today. A beautiful selection of resin, burl and resin and exceptional wood handles have just been listed on my site.

Please visit and see all the wonderful pieces at Elite Razor (www.eliterazor.com).

Black over Prism - 26mm

[Image: 90OYvBg.jpg]

Honduran Rosewood Burl - 24mm

The recess in the base is a bit off-center, so this piece is listed at a reduce price.
[Image: vXnQZHD.jpg]

Burl and Resin - 24mm
[Image: UZ9LuFr.jpg]

Burl and Resin - 24mm
[Image: yhNfCkm.jpg]

Spectraply Blue Angel - 26mm
[Image: xV20zSq.jpg]

Spalted Maple - 26mm
[Image: Ob6d1QR.jpg]

Curly Koa - 26mm

This is a spectacular specimen of curly Koa.
[Image: o5y5cEz.jpg]

Bob

I have just listed this beauty on my site. It is a 26mm Crimson Red with Gold Flakes floating throughout the base.

Crimson Red with Gold Flakes - 26mm
[Image: jSH37ig.jpg]
[Image: gJcANdY.jpg]

Bob

This special brush has just been listed and is available at www.eliterazor.com. It is a 28mm fusion of Silver and Copper in the Mokume-Gane fashion.

Silver and Copper - 28mm
[Image: O5LzR9P.jpg]
[Image: VseXgUh.jpg]

Bob

Several new brushes have just been added to my site. Please check them out, along with all the other beautiful pieces in inventory.

Silver and Copper - 26mm

This is a Mokume-Gane fusion of Silver and Copper. Technology only recently made this material available in a form that may be worked on a lathe. Mokume-Gane (pronounced Moe-koo-may Gah-nay) is the ancient Japanese metal working technique where layers of contrasting color metals such as copper, brass, nickel silver, gold, and silver are fusion welded with very high heat and pressure into one solid block of metal. Traditional Mokume-Gane is extremely rare and sells for hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a very small quantity. The name “Mokume Gane” refers to the visual appearance of a pattern in metal approximating that of wood. “Mokume” literally means “wood eye”, which would be used to describe a highly figured wood grain. “Gane” translates as metal. So, in English, “wood grain metal” is a near-literal translation.

[Image: gDNUZ8Q.jpg]
[Image: ACYz9Yq.jpg]

Yellow Box Burl - 26mm

Yellow Box Burl is an Australian wood generally found in the southernmost regions. It is a member of the Eucalyptus family. Yellow Box Burl is one of the classic “Goldfield Burls” that grow in the gold fields of Western Australia.

[Image: E4JPLdv.jpg]

Spalted Tamarind - 26mm

Spalted Tamarind which is native to tropical Africa, the tree grows wild throughout the Sudan and was so long ago introduced into India that it is often reported as indigenous there. The excellent wood is known for its dramatic and unpredictable figuring and black-line spalting. The colors include tan, rose and light yellow accented by the darker brown and black spalting lines. Finished products are quite dramatic. To certain Burmese, the tree represents the dwelling-place of the rain god and some hold the belief that the tree raises the temperature in its immediate vicinity. Hindus may marry a Tamarind tree to a Mango tree before eating the fruits of the latter. In Nyasaland, Tamarind bark soaked with corn is given to domestic fowl in the belief that, if they stray or are stolen, it will cause them to return home. In Malaysia, a little Tamarind and coconut milk is placed in the mouth of an infant at birth, and the bark and fruit are given to elephants to make them wise.

[Image: iXgaJeR.jpg]

Honduran Rosewood Burl - 24mm

Honduran Rosewood burl is found in Belize (British Honduras) and in river areas throughout Central America. The heartwood varies from brown to deep purple varying from light to dark in color. The sapwood is a contrasting light or cream blonde color. Since Honduran Rosewood turns well, it is used often for knife handles and piano legs. Other uses include percussion bars of xylophones, and fingerboards for banjos, guitars and mandolins. It is also used in fine furniture and cabinets, with highly figured logs sliced for decorative veneers and inlay work.

[Image: Gh95JgF.jpg]

As a teaser, I've begun casting my own hybrid resin and burl handles, making use of some very special and unusual burl wood. This handle is the first to come to completion and the burl is from the Madagascar Plum tree, which is native to Africa and some warmer areas in Asia. The wood is very hard and the burl has a lattice work of voids throughout. This wood in virtually unknown in the marketplace and the burls are exceptionally rare. The leaves and root are used as a treatment for snakebite and the bark is believed to be effective in relieving arthritis. The tree is relatively small and is used as a hedge plant.

The handle is currently in the process of applying finish to the wood and should be listed toward the end of this week.

Madagascar Plum Burl and Resin - 26mm

[Image: ldKMXhV.jpg]

Bob

As I noted in my previous post, I have 4 new resin and burl brushes that will be listed tomorrow (2/13/2020) at 10:00 am EST on my site at www.eliterazor.com. These are made with unique burls not usually found in hybrid brush handles.

Papaturro burl and resin - 26mm

Papaturro burl comes from a tree in the family Polygonaceae (Buckwheat family). The plant is native to Mexico and Central America. This tree ranges from El Salvador to Panama and northern South America, where it is most common in the Pacific regions. The species is useful for its edible fruit. Its fruit occurs in bunches similar to grapes, and is used to make jams.

[Image: Mw9fkwL.jpg]
[Image: MaM3Rff.jpg]

Amboyna Burl and Resin - 26mm

Amboyna burl is found in Indonesia, especially on the Andaman group of islands. Amboyna burl is one of the rarest & most expensive woods in the world. The burly part of the log is often very small, yielding only wood in small dimensions. The color ranges from deep yellow orange to deep red and after finishing Amboyna burl reveals a depth & liveliness in color like found in no other. Amboyna burl was a popular, frequently used wood in the Jugendstil epoch in the twenties. It was also the first burl wood to be used by Rolls Royce for dashboards.

[Image: mcGVzQZ.jpg]
[Image: Zm0aDd3.jpg]

Madagascar Plum burl, which is native to Africa and some warmer areas in Asia. The wood is very hard and the burl has a lattice work of voids throughout. This wood in virtually unknown in the marketplace and the burls are exceptionally rare. The leaves and root are used as a treatment for snakebite and the bark is believed to be effective in relieving arthritis. The tree is relatively small and is used as a hedge plant.

[Image: sPVrn2O.jpg]
[Image: kwxF8C2.jpg]

The lattice work of natural voids have been filled with a resin to create this piece.

[Image: EihPO8C.jpg]
[Image: 7kZ2DZd.jpg]

Bob

A couple of new Burl and Resin brushes have just been completed and are now listed and available on my site.

Amboyna Burl and Resin - 26mm

[Image: 3QdYrsT.jpg]
[Image: IsRLLQp.jpg]

[Image: iNP9F1r.jpg]
[Image: 1dHq6J3.jpg]

Bob

I've been out of the shop for a bit getting those pesky cataracts removed, but am back in the saddle again and have a couple of new burl and resin brushes that I was able to finish up. These are real beauties with unusual and exotic burl wood.

I have several more in process that I expect to be listing soon.

In addition to these burl and resin pieces, I have more than 50 brush handles finished and ready to ship. Please stop by at www.eliterazor.com and see if there is something for you.

Amboyna Burl and resin - 26mm

[Image: NAyyUfw.jpg]

[Image: ajxV2ex.jpg]

Amboyna Burl and Resin - 24mm
[Image: lOYps8X.jpg]

Bob

Top Bottom