What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

Happy Father's Day to all.

I just wrapped up a project that I've been working on for a while, but have also completed a couple of new brushes that are now listed and available on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Blue and Copper Resin - (24 - 26mm)
proxy.php

Green and White Resin - (24mm)
proxy.php

This collection of stone handled Mach 3 and double edges razors will be heading off to their new home with my good friends at Barber Brands in Australia.
proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob

I finished up a very nice brush this morning and it has been listed and is available on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Black Ash Burl - 24mm

Black Ash burl is native to the Great Lakes and Acadia regions of North America. The wood of black ash is strongly ring-porous, making it ideal for basketry splint, barrel hoops, snowshoe frames, canoe ribs, and material for woven chair seats. It is darker colored with more grain and used largely for furniture and interior finish. Black ash is an important tree for the making of lacrosse sticks used by the Mohawk and other tribes of the Eastern United States. The inner bark of the black ash was used to make a bark barrel by the Iroquois which was made for storing dried vegetables, fruits, and seeds, as well as clothing. The tree traditionally was a valuable medicine to many tribes in Eastern North America.

proxy.php

Bob

The brush shown below is made of Afzelia burl. This is a very rare wood with exceptional grain. This brush has just been listed on my site at www.eliterazor.com.

I will be out of town from 6/27 - 7/7. Any order placed during this time will be shipped upon my return. Please stop my and take a look, I have many beautiful brushes and razors available. I will have internet access while out of town, so let me know if you have any questions.

Afzelia Burl - 24mm
proxy.php

Bob

This beautiful example of the Mokume-Gane fusion of Cobalt and Carbon is off to its new home. I don't turn this material very often due to the increased cost, but the results are always amazing.

Mokume-Gane (pronounced Moe-koo-may Gah-nay) is the ancient Japanese metal working technique where layers of contrasting color metals such as copper, brass, nickel silver, gold, and silver are fusion welded with very high heat and pressure into one solid block of metal. Traditional Mokume-Gane is extremely rare and sells for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a very small quantity. The name “Mokume Gane” refers to the visual appearance of a pattern in metal approximating that of wood. “Mokume” literally means “wood eye”, which would be used to describe a highly figured wood grain. “Gane” translates as metal. So, in English, “wood grain metal” is a near-literal translation.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Bob

This beautiful example of the Mokume-Gane fusion of Cobalt and Carbon is off to its new home. I don't turn this material very often due to the increased cost, but the results are always amazing.

Mokume-Gane (pronounced Moe-koo-may Gah-nay) is the ancient Japanese metal working technique where layers of contrasting color metals such as copper, brass, nickel silver, gold, and silver are fusion welded with very high heat and pressure into one solid block of metal. Traditional Mokume-Gane is extremely rare and sells for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a very small quantity. The name “Mokume Gane” refers to the visual appearance of a pattern in metal approximating that of wood. “Mokume” literally means “wood eye”, which would be used to describe a highly figured wood grain. “Gane” translates as metal. So, in English, “wood grain metal” is a near-literal translation.

Bob
Beautiful brush AND an interesting history to the material. Looks great. Will it change color at all over time or need polishing? Is it solid or hollowed to reduce weight?

I just dropped the following new pieces into my site at www.eliterazor.com.

Mokume-Gane Cobalt and Carbon - 26mm
proxy.php

Gold Laced Onyx - 26mm
proxy.php

Brown Chestnut and Gold - 26mm
proxy.php

Malachite - (26 - 28mm)
proxy.php

Malachite Razor handle from the same block as the brush
proxy.php

Bloody Basin Jasper - 26mm
proxy.php

Walnut Burl - 24mm
proxy.php

Walnut Burl razor handle from the same block.
proxy.php

Bob

That Bloody Basin Jasper is gorgeous! I really like the longer handle, but have been thinking about another horsehair knot . . . and now I must dab the corners of my mouth with a napkin :001_smile

That Bloody Basin Jasper is gorgeous! I really like the longer handle, but have been thinking about another horsehair knot . . . and now I must dab the corners of my mouth with a napkin :001_smile

Thank you. If you have a horsehair knot, I would be happy to set it for you.

Bob

I had some time to finish up the last of the "Gold Flake" brushes that I had previously poured. Shown below are the newest additions to my site.

Emerald Pearl and Gold (26mm)
proxy.php

Indigo Blue and Gold - (26mm)
proxy.php

I also had the opportunity to complete a new Amber brush.

Speckled Amber (26mm)
proxy.php

Bob

Every once in a while, you stand behind the lathe with no preconceived idea of what to turn. This happens more frequently to some of us than others, but that's another topic entirely. I began turning the brush below with no goal in sight and let my tools just work their way around the piece. When the dust settled, the handle shown below was the result. It is very well suited to host a Fan shaped knot and, to my eye, it has a bit of a Buck Rogers vibe to it. (If you don't know who Buck Rogers is, ask your Grandparents. Even if you do recognize the name, call your Grandparents anyway, they'd love to hear from you.)

Any comments about the shape would be greatly appreciated.

Gold, Red and Blue - 26mm
proxy.php

Bob

I've added a couple of new brushes, as well as some new razors handles to my site. Stop by and take a look, these are some really nice pieces.

Fire and Ice - 24mm
proxy.php

Royal Blue and Gold Flake - 24mm
proxy.php

Buckeye Burl

Buckeye burl grows in the central states of the US, chiefly the Ohio Valley and Appalachian regions. The botanical name for the Buckeye is Aesculus, from “Aesculapius,” the name of the mythological Greek god of medicine. The common name “Buckeye” was derived from the Native Americans who noticed that the glossy, chestnut-brown seeds with the lighter circular “eye” looked very similar to the eye of a buck (male) deer. Early travelers and explorers carried the rare and curious buckeye to the east with them and reported the Aesculus highly prized medicinal properties and talismanic attribute of wisdom. Some believe that the buckeye relieves rheumatism pain and provides good fortune when carried in the pockets of their garments or worn as an amulet around the neck. Instantly dubbed “buckeye” in frontier speech, the mysterious nut was used as a general cure-all for generations. As a result, citizens of Ohio became known as “Buckeyes.” The buckeye tree was officially adapted as the state tree on October 2, 1953.

proxy.php

Mokume-Gane Cobalt and Carbon

proxy.php

Mokume-Gane Cobalt and Carbon
proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking,

Bob

This piece has been sitting on my bench for a while, patiently waiting to be turned. The brilliant blue of the upper section really "pops" on this one. This brush has just been listed on my site.

Brilliant Blue and Gold Flakes - 26mm
proxy.php
proxy.php

Bob

I have just listed this brush on my site. This stone turns and finishes beautifully and would look great on anyone's counter.

Azurite with Malachite - 26mm

Azurite, is an intense deep blue color and often occurs with Malachite. Different sources claim the name is derived from the Persian word lazhward or from the Arabic word azul, both of which mean blue. Azurite is found in Australia, Chile, France, Mexico, Morocco, Nambia, the southwestern USA, and Zaire. For thousands of years this stone has been used in jewelry and ornamental objects. During the Middle Ages and Renaissance it was ground into pigment for use in paint and eye shadow. It is not known widely as a birthstone, but several references indicate it may have been used as a birthstone for the sign of Taurus. Azurite was sacred to the Egyptians who believed it was an aid to spiritual communication. Many believe that this stone helps to reduce anger and to increase psychic awareness. It is also thought to reduce abnormal cell growth, promote wisdom, and is used as an aid to relieve the pain of rheumatism.

proxy.php

Bob

I recently received a new shipment of stone and have just completed a stone series of 26mm brushes. All the handles are 60mm in height and the sockets are 28mm. All the brushes shown below will be released on my site tomorrow (8/14) at 7:00 pm EDT.

Group 1 from L-R - Bloody Basin Jasper, Malachite, Copper Laced Onyx, Larimar and Azurite with Malachite
proxy.php

Group 2 from L-R - Kingman Turquoise, Wild Horse Jasper, Gold Laced Onyx, Blue Lapis and Arizona Jade
proxy.php

Bob

I recently received a new shipment of stone and have just completed a stone series of 26mm brushes. All the handles are 60mm in height and the sockets are 28mm. All the brushes shown below will be released on my site tomorrow (8/14) at 7:00 pm EDT.

Group 1 from L-R - Bloody Basin Jasper, Malachite, Copper Laced Onyx, Larimar and Azurite with Malachite
proxy.php

Group 2 from L-R - Kingman Turquoise, Wild Horse Jasper, Gold Laced Onyx, Blue Lapis and Arizona Jade
proxy.php

Bob
Gorgeous lineup!

Top Bottom