What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

I don't know if you guys are tough, or crazy...

Why do those have to be two options. Do you think those of us in the challenge are enduring punishing shaves? Therefore we're tough? Or crazy?

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to use his blade once. The difference between that person and myself might just be that I have different expectations from a shave. A term like "tuggy" is subjective. What that person describes as tugging, I may experience differently. Or what they want from a shave, perhaps, the ultimate closeness that comes from three-or-four-passes as he pursues every stray hair, is not what I want. I seek close, comfortable, and irritation shaves. If I get that from a blade with a dozen shaves, I'll use it again. And again, until it doesn't deliver.

This is discussed thoroughly in this thread: Do we really need to stretch blade life? It's the thread that apparently led to the formation of the Excalibur Club back in 2014.

If you read about the first 1,500 posts in the Excalibur Club, you may agree that the members who like to maximize their blade's potential focus on high quality, comfortable and efficient shaves. The number of shaves/blade is a byproduct of superior technique. Everyone's potential is different and can range from the teens to hundreds.

In my opinion, virtually all nicks, weepers, irritation and tugging are because of improper technique. A blade is not worn out until it starts taking too many passes to cut the whiskers.

Naturally, there are exceptions to this opinion, but it works for me.

Neither. It's about technique and the right blade/razor for you. I have only been DE shaving for 5 months...never used a cartridge razor, used electric my whole life 30+ years...so I am a newb.

BiC blades...a month...pfft no problem for me....it's as though magic elves are honing the blade at night after each use retaining original sharpness of day 1.

My Rapira might be showing signs of getting sad. I am fully aware that it might just be my technique or my inability to focus while shaving. I am not giving up on it by any stretch, I just feel like I need to adjust a few things I am doing to make it last, or maybe I am just overreacting to a slightly less awesome shave. Either way, the worst thing that's going to happen is I am going to keep the same brand of blade and try to make it a two-blade month, which would be quicker turnover than I usually have. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

SOTD
  • Paladin Shaving Pythian Way (made by Soap Smooth)
  • No-name Scottish deer antler-handle pure (?) badger brush
  • L2 Flare Tip (Q2 1966)
  • Gillette Nacet (15)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS

• Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (12)
  • Glycerine soap pre-shave
  • Vintage Williams Mug Soap w/ a Fine, face lathered
  • Lustray Spice After Shave
Best shave to date. I attribute this to the razor. Super efficient. Two passes and minimal touch up for a darn fine shave.

This Flare Tip was an early purchase so I've had this razor for a while. Like an old toy, it sits in the drawer while I play with all my new, shiny ones. Until I pull it out and realize how fun it is.
Ahem.

Why do those have to be two options. Do you think those of us in the challenge are enduring punishing shaves? Therefore we're tough? Or crazy?

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to use his blade once. The difference between that person and myself might just be that I have different expectations from a shave. A term like "tuggy" is subjective. What that person describes as tugging, I may experience differently. Or what they want from a shave, perhaps, the ultimate closeness that comes from three-or-four-passes as he pursues every stray hair, is not what I want. I seek close, comfortable, and irritation shaves. If I get that from a blade with a dozen shaves, I'll use it again. And again, until it doesn't deliver.
My comment was mostly a failed attempt at humor, combined with some genuine surprise that folks would use a blade that long. Frankly, I haven't tried to use a blade as long as possible, but you gents have me considering it.

This is discussed thoroughly in this thread: Do we really need to stretch blade life? It's the thread that apparently led to the formation of the Excalibur Club back in 2014.

If you read about the first 1,500 posts in the Excalibur Club, you may agree that the members who like to maximize their blade's potential focus on high quality, comfortable and efficient shaves. The number of shaves/blade is a byproduct of superior technique. Everyone's potential is different and can range from the teens to hundreds.

In my opinion, virtually all nicks, weepers, irritation and tugging are because of improper technique. A blade is not worn out until it starts taking too many passes to cut the whiskers.

Naturally, there are exceptions to this opinion, but it works for me.
My comment was mostly a failed attempt at humor, combined with some genuine surprise that folks would use a blade that long. Frankly, I haven't tried to use a blade as long as possible, but you gents have me considering it.

Neither. It's about technique and the right blade/razor for you. I have only been DE shaving for 5 months...never used a cartridge razor, used electric my whole life 30+ years...so I am a newb.

BiC blades...a month...pfft no problem for me....it's as though magic elves are honing the blade at night after each use retaining original sharpness of day 1.

SOTD - 13 FEB 2020

SOTD 02132020.jpg

Astra SP (17) - not bad, not bad. Fairly mild shave with the Flare-tip. Couple rough spots here and there but still had no irritation at the end. I just wonder how long this blade would last.

Thursday 13th Feb.

Preshave: Hot facecloth, KoS Advanced shave oil
Brush: None
Soap: Gillette Mach 3 Gel lathered in a bowl
Razor: Rockwell 6S, Plate R5
Blade: Astra SP (14)
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, modern Old Spice AS.

That felt much the same as #12 and #13, and got a similarly at-least-CCS result.

King of Shaves blue is an extremely slick "oil", good performance there, but I wonder if siloxanes are really OK to put on my face or into waste-water.

I think this blade has plateaued; it feels smooth, but it is still sharp enough to cut properly-hydrated and prepared stubble. How many more miles can it go, until the wheels fall off?

Last edited:
  • Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (14)
  • Palmolive for Men Classic Shave Stick w/ a Vie Long horse, face lathered
  • Izod Classics After-Shave Lotion
Two weeks of shaves, another milestone I've set for myself. When I'm testing longevity, it's usually at this point where I get a sense of a blades degradation and if I'll make the next milestone--three weeks of shaves. Based on today's shave, I feel confident that I'll get seven more, at least.

SOTD 14-02-2020

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Defiance (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (12)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Fine Fresh Vetiver AS, Nivea After Shave Balm.

All I have to report today is (though and crazy as I am, LOL ):
I am going to break my personal record tomorrow with shave no. 13.
Ha!

Today was shave #6 with the 1970 P4 Gillette Super Stainless blade. This time, loaded in a '69 Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty). I started on setting 4 and went to 5 for the final (ATG) pass.

I use these blades sparingly, so this is the perfect occasion:c2:

Top Bottom