What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

• Gillette Heritage razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (11)
  • Long Rifle Hawkeye shave soap + KMF 4 n 1 shave cream w/ a Vie Long horse, face lathered
  • Master Spice & Nivea Post Shave Lotion
Wanted to compare a shave with the Heritage to one with the Merkur 34, since they are similar in looks and feel. But they didn't shave the same. I should have used the exact same set up as Monday's shave. I think the Long Rifle/KMF super lather wasn't as slick as the Haslinger, which led to a less efficient and less pleasurable shave. Despite that, a pretty good shave all around.

BiC blade (5), I shave 3x per week I have no doubt I will be able to go 12.

-Tech (Canadian Fat Handle, no date code versions used)
-Proraso and Arko soaps used
- Nivea AS

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460 (Boar)
Soap: Cyril R. Salter ~ Classic Almond SC (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (10)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm.

The shave was close but I felt a bit of roughness on my neck.
But no need to blame the blade... I was a little bit in a hurry this morning.

Still in. Today was #13 with my Gillette Nacet.

SOTD
  • Paladin Shaving Pythian Way (made by Soap Smooth)
  • Vintage Rubberset 203 boar
  • L2 Flare Tip
  • Nacet (13)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Scottish Soap Company Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS

Tonight's Shave:
Prep: Wash face with PAA Cube 2.0
Pre-Shave: Wet face. Apply PAA Cube Mentholated
Soap: Aion
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic Tuxedo Knot
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch MG(4)
Thayers WH Toner Rose Petal & Witch hazel balm and splash
Aftershave : MAOL Frankenlime
Moisturizing: GD Rejuvenating Serum

Tuesday 11th Feb. I'll follow JAHE's template, if he doesn't mind.

Preshave: Hot facecloth, Holland and Barrett Vit E oil *
Brush: None
Soap: Gillette Mach 3 Gel lathered in a bowl
Razor: Rockwell 6S, Plate R5
Blade: Astra SP (12)
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Brut AS.

That was drama-free, as expected, and didn't hit any obvious deterioration — I've used an Astra to #12 before. Missed a bit on my neck, but that was operator error.

[* This H & B oil is not sold as a shaving product, but works well for me (YMMV), and the Vitamin E ought to stop it oxidising in a half-empty container. The carrier is sunflower oil, lightly scented with lemon oil. ]

#7 on the books, still using the prewar tech which is very comfortable, but I'm finding the stubble comes back faster.
I flipped the Wilkie on the weekend, but not doing anything else. I may switch to a more aggressive razor, but I have no concerns about going at least 15 on this one.

#7 on the books, still using the prewar tech which is very comfortable, but I'm finding the stubble comes back faster.
I flipped the Wilkie on the weekend, but not doing anything else.

Did you notice any significant effect after having flipped the blade? I just wondered because I never flip a blade deliberately.

Last edited:
  • Gillette Heritage razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (12)
  • Haslinger Sandalwood w/ a Simpson Berkeley badger, face lathered
  • Adidas Dynamic Pulse After Shave
Be it better prep, or the return to Haslinger soap, today's shave was better than yesterday's. The blade is still performing admirably.

5th shave with a 1970 (P4) Gillette Super Stainless loaded in '47 Aristocrat.

Whipped up a nice lather using Speick Active cream and my Omega synth brush.

Still smooth going.

SOTD 12-02-2020

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Gentleman's Nod ~ George No. 01 (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (11)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Majestät AS.

I am back on track, no roughness today... looking forward to starting shave no. 12 tomorrow morning.

Not formally in the challenge. Have been using a U.K. packaged Israeli Personna daily since 1/31. Have never gone past two weeks. Will see how it goes.

Wednesday 12th Feb.

Preshave: Hot facecloth, Nuage shave oil with menthol
Brush: None
Soap: Gillette Mach 3 Gel lathered in a bowl
Razor: Rockwell 6S, Plate R5
Blade: Astra SP (13)
Postshave: Warm rinse, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Boots Freshwood AS.

That was at least a CCS, and indistinguishable from #12.

SOTD - 12 FEB 2020

IMG_20200211_212804247_2.jpg

Astra SP (16) - Not bad. Still had a good shave without much irritation. I definitely have to be more careful with each stroke as it feels a bit tuggy on some areas. There are rough spots here and there but the end result is still good.

Did you notice any significant effect after having flipped the blade? I just wondered because I never flip a blade deliberately.
I suspect there's something to it, like taking a steel to a kitchen knife to even the burr. It makes sense that it would wear both sides more evenly. But honestly I can't really tell for sure.

Day 12, Shave 12. Same setup as before. As mentioned, the Nivea Sensitive shave cream and ASB are helping to keep irritation to a minimum. I'm thinking of taking a day or two off when the weekend hits, though.

Finally got around to taking a photo. Other than the printing wearing off, the Astra SP is performing very well for a blade with 119 shaves on it:

proxy.php

People in the Excalibur Club used to almost universally agree that flipping made a difference. Then they agreed it didn't. I don't flip anymore because I'm lazy.

• Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (12)
  • Glycerine soap pre-shave
  • Vintage Williams Mug Soap w/ a Fine, face lathered
  • Lustray Spice After Shave
Best shave to date. I attribute this to the razor. Super efficient. Two passes and minimal touch up for a darn fine shave.

This Flare Tip was an early purchase so I've had this razor for a while. Like an old toy, it sits in the drawer while I play with all my new, shiny ones. Until I pull it out and realize how fun it is.

Top Bottom