What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

Shave #4 was not as good as shaves #1-3.

Although my face is smooth and there was no irritation, I think that my well-used Astra SP blade may be going off a bit. I had to go over the same spots a couple of times and it just seems that both the sharpness and efficiency have tailed off.

With any luck, it'll come back. I'm determined to use it for the entire month even if it tears my face off! :laugh:

SOTD - 04 FEB 2020

SOTD 02042020.jpg

Astra SP (13) - Decent shave. I feel the blade tugging a bit but I didn't get much irritation at the end. One small nick by my chin but nothing serious.

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (5)
  • Godrej Shave Round w/ The Body Shop synthetic brush, face lathered
  • Master Jade after shave
Having to do a little more shave to get the same results. Almost two passes this morning, but a darn, fine shave.

Hi,

Day 6, shave 6. Just chugging along until I get into the 20s. If the ATT S2 is like my Fasan DoubleSlant, it will be in the 20s for the MedPrep.

Stan

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (6)
  • Proraso Blue shave cream w/ an Omega boar brush, bowl lathered
  • Sauvage after shave
Had a great, nick free shave but while I was rinsing noticed a tiny patch of stubble in that fold where the bottom lip meets the chin and went back for a touch up...and nicked myself. Couldn't let well enough alone, could I.

I couldn't post yesterday, but it was shave #2 with the vintage Gillette Super Stainless (P4), loaded in a '47 Aristocrat. Sweeeet.

Day 34 on the first edge of an Astra SP. It's beginning to look like a four blade year is possible.

Shave #6 with the UK Wilkinson Sword
Prep : Hot Shower
Shaving soap : Kiss My Face
Brush : Ever Ready 100 boar
Razor : Fatboy on 5
WH : Dickinson Astringent
Aftershave : Nivea Men Sensitive

DFS around my Adam's apple, BBS elsewhere. A nice pleasant shave, with no nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation.

Day 6, Shave 6, and done!

As mentioned above I wanted to see if I could push a Treet Black further than I did before. I failed. This blade started out bad and went downhill from there. Shave 6 tugged like crazy and wasn't very close so I binned the blade. It would have been a violation of Rule 3 to continue.

I think the Treets were better when they were new, but if they deteriorate in storage I'm not going to buy a bunch of them.

Going forward depending on how I feel in the morning I might do a mini run with some SE carbon steel blades that I have. If I can get more than half a dozen shaves out of one of them I'll be happy.

Day 6, Shave 6, and done!

As mentioned above I wanted to see if I could push a Treet Black further than I did before. I failed. This blade started out bad and went downhill from there. Shave 6 tugged like crazy and wasn't very close so I binned the blade. It would have been a violation of Rule 3 to continue.

I think the Treets were better when they were new, but if they deteriorate in storage I'm not going to buy a bunch of them.

Going forward depending on how I feel in the morning I might do a mini run with some SE carbon steel blades that I have. If I can get more than half a dozen shaves out of one of them I'll be happy.

Rule 4 makes it impossible to violate Rule 3.

SOTN 2/5/2020

Prep: Wash face with PAA Cube 2.0
Pre-Shave: Wet face. Apply PAA Cube Mentholated
Soap: Aion
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch MG
Witch hazel splash
Aftershave : MAOL Frankenlime
Moisturizing: GD Rejuvenating Serum

SOTD - 06 FEB 2020

SOTD 02062020.jpg

Astra SP (14) - Not bad. I really enjoyed the shave today. I got a slight irritation near my adam's apple but nothing major. DFS all around.

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (7)
  • Vintage Williams + Derby Lavender shave cream w/ a Fine badger brush, face lathered
  • Porsche Design's The Essence after-shave balm
A week of shaves in the book. No complaints. Blade is still sharp, still providing comfortable shaves. I will likely switch razors for shave number 8.

• Merkur 34C HD razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (8)
  • Palmolive stick w/ a Body Shop synthetic brush, face lathered
  • Master Challenge after shave lotion
Second week of challenge, switched razors. The Merkur gave me a good shave, but I gave myself two tiny nicks on my jawline. As I re-familiarize myself with the HD, I am sure the nicks will cease.

Top Bottom