What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

I'm a little late to the party but i'm on an old blade, GEM SUPER STAINLESS STEEL blade on its 15th use. I'd like to enter if it's still cool

1. GaryTha: Astra SP
2. Dog Whiskerer: Schick Super Chromium
3. Ryanshh: Rapira Super Stainless
4. Ted A: Astra SP
5. grizz_85: Personna Lab
6. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
7. Timeclo: Astra SP
8. psfred: Shark Super Chrome
9. Demolition: Astra SP
10. abj: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11. NPK: BIC Chrome Platinum (?)
12. Esetter: Wilkinson Sword (England)
13. BrianC0428: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch
14. KQY61: Personna Med Prep
15. Swaggatron: Feather
16. T.Orso: Bic Platinum Chrome
17. FoolishMortal: Gillette Nacet
18. JAHE: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
19. Rontu: GEM Super Stainless Steel (Walgreens bought)

Welcome to the party, Rontu! :biggrin1:

Meanwhile, Day 1 is complete. The setup that I mentioned in my earlier post is working very well. The combination of Nivea Sensitive cream for the shave and Nivea Sensitive ASB to finish things off will soothe any irritation that might occur from shaving daily with the GC .84.

Day 1 SOTD - 01 FEB 2020

SOTD 02012020.jpg

Brush - Yaqi 24mm synthetic
Lather - Bodyshop Maca root cream
Razor - WCS Lithe head
Blade - Astra SP (11)
Post-shave - Thayer's WH Rose

Blade felt okay. Not the cleanest but it did the job. I might have over-hydrated the lather so I'll makes some changes for the next shave. Not bad for the 11th shave. My usual toss rate is after 5 shaves.

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (2)
  • Long Rifle Hawkeye Shaving Soap w/ an Simpson Berkeley badger brush, face lathered
  • Sauvage after-shave lotion
Good shave as my technique with the Krona improves.

SOTD: 2/2/2020

Pre-Shave: Wet face. Apply PAA Cube Mentholated
Soap: Aion
Brush: Paul H Films Synthetic
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch MG
Post Shave: Witch hazel
Aftershave : MAOL Frankenlime
Moisturizing: GD Rejuvenating Serum

Last edited:
I’m adding myself lately too. I mainly use Personna Blue, Nacet, or injector, all of which I’ve pushed past 30 days. On the other hand like most folks I’ve had poor success with Treet Black and carbon steel SE blades. This year I’ve decided to see how far I can push a Treet. This is a fool’s errand since there is little chance of making it through the month. Frankly even the first shave was rough since the blade has been around for awhile. Anyway it’s day 2, shave 2. We’ll see how far it goes.

1. GaryTha: Astra SP
2. Dog Whiskerer: Schick Super Chromium
3. Ryanshh: Rapira Super Stainless
4. Ted A: Astra SP
5. grizz_85: Personna Lab
6. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
7. Timeclo: Astra SP
8. psfred: Shark Super Chrome
9. Demolition: Astra SP
10. abj: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11. NPK: BIC Chrome Platinum (?)
12. Esetter: Wilkinson Sword (England)
13. BrianC0428: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch
14. KQY61: Personna Med Prep
15. Swaggatron: Feather
16. T.Orso: Bic Platinum Chrome
17. FoolishMortal: Gillette Nacet
18. JAHE: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
19. Rontu: GEM Super Stainless Steel (Walgreens bought)
20. Saxonbowman Treet Black

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (3)
  • Palmolive for Men Classic shave stick w/ a Vie Long horse hair brush, face lathered
  • Lustray Spice after-shave lotion
One pass plus touch up for a close, comfortable shave aided by a slick lather from the Palmolive.

I'm in with a 1970 (P4) Gillette Super Stainless (Pre-Spoiler).

First shave today in a '47 Aristocrat and a real pleasure.

I only shave three days a week, so this should be no problem.
Actually, looking at the calendar, Leap Day won't even come in to play for me.
Still....onward!

Two shaves in on an unproven blade, but what a blade it is. First impressions are incredibly smooth and sharp; I've come off a couple months of Treet, Derby and Shaverboy blades so what a welcome change. Really enjoying the way this one behaves in a pre-war Tech.
wilkie3.jpgwilkie2.jpgwilkie1.jpg

Shave #3 with the Treet Black in the NEW Long Comb. Instead of my usual steep angle I tried riding the cap and got a more comfortable shave. I wouldn't call the blade sharp but it did the job. I'm drying the blade carefully and giving it a coating of petroleum jelly to try to stave off rust.

Shave #2

Astra SP (12) - Shave went well. There are some rough spots here and there but I ended up mostly irritation-free. I could feel the blade getting dull though. The longer blade use forces me to focus on my technique and ease down on the pressure. Although this is helpful, it's also not as comfortable as a fresh blade. I'm continuing the blade challenge but I have a feeling that I might just stick to 5 shaves or so per blade in the future.

Third shave with the UK Wilkinson Sword
Prep : Hot Shower
Shaving soap : Dr. Jon's Defiance
Brush : Stirling Boar
Razor : Fatboy on 5
WH : Dickinson Astringent
Aftershave : Nivea Men Sensitive

Another effortless BBS!
[/QUOTE]

Day #4 - shave #4.

My initial shaves all went smooth, free of any irritation and without efforts. The german Wilkison Sword is doing fine. Recently, the "critical phase" on this blade started after having finished shave #10 (or the results of my poor technique started to become significant then). So there is likely one more week ahead of me, I am expecting plain and simple smooth shaves up to that point.

Since my Ball End Tech felt too mild on the first two shaves, I added a shim (and kept it, since I liked the shave results and the slight increase of "blade feel"). I see no reason to swap to a more agressive razor combo as of yet.

Will check in again in a couple of days...

Last edited:
Shave #1 for February (yesterday)

Shave #16 with a GEM Super Stainless Steel and GEM Featherweight Razor (16). It's actually not as sharp as it was in the beginning and might toss it midshave if it's not doing its job properly.

• Schick Krona razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (4)
  • Williams Mug Soap w/ a Simpson Berkeley 46 badger brush, face lathered
  • Mennen Afta After Shave Skin Conditioner, original

Pass and a half for CCS. See no reason to change the set up just yet.

Day 4, Shave 4

Treet Black with NEW Long Comb
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap face lathered with an Omega Bigger Bambino boar brush.
Blade is still working. Not uncomfortable, but not terribly efficient.

Third shave on the books. I think this one might be longer lasting than Nacets, but time will tell. No noticable change in sharpness or smoothness.Then again, the Stirling soap may be helping, this time last year I was trying to get through a puck of Williams.

Top Bottom