What's new

ELEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2020 Edition

Day 8, 7th shave.
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Fatip Grande OC
Omega boar brush
Proraso white
De Vergulde Hand alum and aftershave balm.
So far I like this blade, it's on the list to order a 100

Well, I didn't see this thread in time, so didn't sign up. My Astra SP clocked up its 9th shave on Sat 8 Feb, and doesn't feel like it needs replaced, so I will play along.

I tested an Astra to 12, to convince myself a 100-pack was good, and it was still good when I dumped it.

Can it do 30, though?

Last edited:
1. GaryTha: Astra SP
2. Dog Whiskerer: Schick Super Chromium
3. Ryanshh: Rapira Super Stainless
4. Ted A: Astra SP
5. grizz_85: Personna Lab
6. Lancre: Wilkinson Sword
7. Timeclo: Astra SP
8. psfred: Shark Super Chrome
9. Demolition: Astra SP
10. abj: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
11. NPK: BIC Chrome Platinum (?)
12. Esetter: Wilkinson Sword (England)
13. BrianC0428: Kai Captain Titan Mild ProTouch
14. KQY61: Personna Med Prep
15. Swaggatron: Feather
16. T.Orso: Bic Platinum Chrome
17. FoolishMortal: Gillette Nacet
18. JAHE: Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
19. Rontu: GEM Super Stainless Steel (Walgreens bought)
20. Saxonbowman Treet Black
21. Roedeer, Astra SP

Skipped a shave on Friday, been shuffling my Mom from rehab hospital to ER and back for the last two weeks. Shave yesterday was perfect -- very close, no nicks or weepers, still minimal stubble this morning. Shave #8 coming up shortly!

Skipped a shave on Friday, been shuffling my Mom from rehab hospital to ER and back for the last two weeks. Shave yesterday was perfect -- very close, no nicks or weepers, still minimal stubble this morning. Shave #8 coming up shortly!

Hope your Mom recovers soon.

Shave no. 8 with the german Wilkinson. Switched razors and shaved with a shimmed Mercur 15c today. The blade appears to be as sharp as on day 1.

Shave no. 8 with the german Wilkinson. Switched razors and shaved with a shimmed Mercur 15c today. The blade appears to be as sharp as on day 1.

A few more shaves, and you may get into the buttery phase. The blade will appear to be just as sharp, but it will be wonderfully smooth. Some blades bloop into another dimension, and the smoothness can last over 100 shaves.

A few more shaves, and you may get into the buttery phase. The blade will appear to be just as sharp, but it will be wonderfully smooth. Some blades bloop into another dimension, and the smoothness can last over 100 shaves.

I'd really love to see this happenIng.

Last edited:
Using my 63 my 63 Slim and a fresh (well it was on the 1st) Gillette Silver Blue.

Today was shave #9

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sunday 9 Feb, Astra SP, shave #10, using a Rockwell 6S on setting R5. A CCS or better. I won't be into anything untried until I'm past #12.

I use pre-shave oils for a better result (YMMV), "King of Shaves Advanced" this time; it probably has the side-effect of helping blade life. What tool doesn't like oil?

Well, I had to toss the blade at shave number 16, since it was resulting in a few bumps (not many, but not worth it). Popped in a new GEM Super Stainless Steel today, so it's back to shave 1 for me. Not sure what the rules are to be frank, so if I'm eliminated, so be it. But if I understand correctly, I'm allowed to switch blades once it's no longer shaving well, as long as it's of the same make/model. If that's the case, then I'm still in and will continue on with this new blade.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20200204_201922794~2.jpg

This was my setup.

Today was my second shave for the month (don't judge; I'm old, lazy and retired!)

Just noticed that the front of my chin has stubble! May dry shave that off in the AM, may not.

I guess I should say that the blade is a Silver Star that now has 12 uses on it!

Thanks for letting me play along my friends, especially @GaryTha !

Day 9, Shave 9. Same setup as before.

You may recall that I was having trouble with a veteran (100+ uses) Astra SP on Day 4. Well, after a couple more shaves, it has gone back to being perfectly useable. No special treatment was needed; I just kept using it as normal.

I am a bit concerned about using the GC .84 everyday, though. When the old blade was feeling tuggy, I cut back on the number of passes I did (normally three: WTG, ATG, XTG). I reduced that to two passes (WTG, XTG). But, my face is now a bit irritated, so I might skip a few shaves (probably on weekends) to let my skin recover. I probably should have chosen a slightly less aggressive razor or perhaps an adjustable.

• Merkur 34C HD razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (10)
  • Haslinger Sandalwood w/ an Acca Kappa boar, face lathered
  • Nivea Deep Comforting Post Shave Lotion
Double-digit shaves. The first milestone I seek to hit when I am stretching blade life. Nothing in this morning's shave to give me concerns or thoughts of binning. CCS in two passes, no irritation, no nicks.

Well, I had to toss the blade at shave number 16, since it was resulting in a few bumps (not many, but not worth it). Popped in a new GEM Super Stainless Steel today, so it's back to shave 1 for me. Not sure what the rules are to be frank, so if I'm eliminated, so be it. But if I understand correctly, I'm allowed to switch blades once it's no longer shaving well, as long as it's of the same make/model. If that's the case, then I'm still in and will continue on with this new blade.

Don't worry. The rules are there aren't any rules. You can switch. That's in the rules that there aren't any of.

• Merkur 34C HD razor
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium blade (10)
  • Haslinger Sandalwood w/ an Acca Kappa boar, face lathered
  • Nivea Deep Comforting Post Shave Lotion
Double-digit shaves. The first milestone I seek to hit when I am stretching blade life. Nothing in this morning's shave to give me concerns or thoughts of binning. CCS in two passes, no irritation, no nicks.

The first ten are the hardest.

I prefer to call it "utilizing all of a blade's potential."

Reactions: abj

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Day 9, Shave 9. Same setup as before.

You may recall that I was having trouble with a veteran (100+ uses) Astra SP on Day 4. Well, after a couple more shaves, it has gone back to being perfectly useable. No special treatment was needed; I just kept using it as normal.

I am a bit concerned about using the GC .84 everyday, though. When the old blade was feeling tuggy, I cut back on the number of passes I did (normally three: WTG, ATG, XTG). I reduced that to two passes (WTG, XTG). But, my face is now a bit irritated, so I might skip a few shaves (probably on weekends) to let my skin recover. I probably should have chosen a slightly less aggressive razor or perhaps an adjustable.
Sounds like you are doing it right my friend!

Top Bottom