What's new

Eleven Years On

prepare the parts properly
Sounds like shaving: better preparation leads to better results. I've got limited time for tinkering, but the list of razors I'd consider replating is growing...

Logging some shaves:

5/31

Felt a chill in the air, decided it might be nice to lather MWF with the Zenith horsehair. Shaved with the GC.84-P which I hadn't used in quite a while, Nacet with 1 previous shave I think.

Was an odd shave overall. Lather was nice. Felt like the razor was both struggling to clear stubble, while also opening several pinhead weepers above the chin when strokes were headed Northbound--not typical for me. Was probably applying pressure, I haven't shaved much with my heavier razors in the last week+ and the GC hasn't been used in perhaps 14 days or longer. The shave ends up being 85-90% as thorough as I'd prefer, and the alum only stings where I've seen blood.

6/1

IMG_5311.jpg

Lathered a sample of 345 Soap Co. "RKY MNT Tree Line" with the Yaqi silvertip. Moved a used Nacet into the prewar Tech.

Soap was slick, had decent lingering post-shave feel like it contained organic fats. I enjoyed the scent before lathering, but once it opened up... I detected notes reminiscent of esthers/VOCs/solvents, somewhere between alcohol, sharpies, and nail polish remover. Not really my speed.

Razor was skipping somewhat noticeably in the southbound pass. Northbound feels labored and ineffective, and ATG was a struggle. I think the blade was past its prime. I bowed out a little earlier than I would prefer in regard to closeness. Still had decent whisker reduction but only the shiest moments of anything approaching BBS- with some general sensation from the alum afterword.

Tomorrow I have a working interview at a different store in my company. Organization/management of my current environment has not been to my liking. The goal of today's shave was reasonable closeness (achieved) and going easy on my skin (only modestly achieved) in anticipation of a very thorough shave tomorrow. Wish me luck--in both shaving and working.

Sounds like shaving: better preparation leads to better results. I've got limited time for tinkering, but the list of razors I'd consider replating is growing...

Logging some shaves:

5/31

Felt a chill in the air, decided it might be nice to lather MWF with the Zenith horsehair. Shaved with the GC.84-P which I hadn't used in quite a while, Nacet with 1 previous shave I think.

Was an odd shave overall. Lather was nice. Felt like the razor was both struggling to clear stubble, while also opening several pinhead weepers above the chin when strokes were headed Northbound--not typical for me. Was probably applying pressure, I haven't shaved much with my heavier razors in the last week+ and the GC hasn't been used in perhaps 14 days or longer. The shave ends up being 85-90% as thorough as I'd prefer, and the alum only stings where I've seen blood.

6/1

View attachment 1664315

Lathered a sample of 345 Soap Co. "RKY MNT Tree Line" with the Yaqi silvertip. Moved a used Nacet into the prewar Tech.

Soap was slick, had decent lingering post-shave feel like it contained organic fats. I enjoyed the scent before lathering, but once it opened up... I detected notes reminiscent of esthers/VOCs/solvents, somewhere between alcohol, sharpies, and nail polish remover. Not really my speed.

Razor was skipping somewhat noticeably in the southbound pass. Northbound feels labored and ineffective, and ATG was a struggle. I think the blade was past its prime. I bowed out a little earlier than I would prefer in regard to closeness. Still had decent whisker reduction but only the shiest moments of anything approaching BBS- with some general sensation from the alum afterword.

Tomorrow I have a working interview at a different store in my company. Organization/management of my current environment has not been to my liking. The goal of today's shave was reasonable closeness (achieved) and going easy on my skin (only modestly achieved) in anticipation of a very thorough shave tomorrow. Wish me luck--in both shaving and working.
Wish me luck--in both shaving and working.
I do wish you luck at work. People tend to be more challenging than inanimate objects. You don’t need luck for shaving. I enjoy reading your shaves. A suggestion if I may. The little annoying occurrences you refer to in your shaves could all be improved or eliminated. A single use blade. Try it for a month. You will have a known, repeated, practiced component in your shave. The blade is the anchor of the shave.

Your thoughts are always welcomed and appreciated @JoWolf and trust me, I could use luck in any area—including shaving! Because despite the greater predictability of objects, shaving still involves at least one human… the clumsy guy writing this message!

But I’ll take your blade suggestion into consideration. I formerly didn’t swap blades much between razors. I have always wondered if the edge geometry changes/degrades differently in different razors. I have had that experience loading a worn blade in the FaTip, the shave was unusually bad. So with the FaTip I leave the same blade loaded. In general I’d be a little nervous to use a new blade each shave, as I typically get more comfortable results after the first use. But I should be more judicious about refreshing blades. I’m always seeking a very close result and I think it necessitates a more consistent, sharper edge.

Your thoughts are always welcomed and appreciated @JoWolf and trust me, I could use luck in any area—including shaving! Because despite the greater predictability of objects, shaving still involves at least one human… the clumsy guy writing this message!

But I’ll take your blade suggestion into consideration. I formerly didn’t swap blades much between razors. I have always wondered if the edge geometry changes/degrades differently in different razors. I have had that experience loading a worn blade in the FaTip, the shave was unusually bad. So with the FaTip I leave the same blade loaded. In general I’d be a little nervous to use a new blade each shave, as I typically get more comfortable results after the first use. But I should be more judicious about refreshing blades. I’m always seeking a very close result and I think it necessitates a more consistent, sharper edge.
I have always wondered if the edge geometry changes/degrades differently in different razors.
I don’t know for a fact. I would think that blade manufacturers produce enough geometry differences to change the geometry of the razor. In other words you need to adjust or correct your razor angles to accommodate the blades ground angle. All blade edges deteriorate with each use. Repeated uses of worn blades are in fact new uses. The wear has changed the grind from acute moving to obtuse. You adjust the razor to the new angle. A duller blade cuts through the same load slower than a sharper blade. You have to adjust your stroke speed to match the blade sharpness. As the blade wears you continue to make these adjustments. Automatically or good technique.
Using the same blade sharpness every time muscle memory becomes refined. You continue to practice within the same parameters rather than changing parameters. You can then move into the highest speed and closest cutting efficiency of that blade. The highest efficiencies in a shave produce the highest comfort levels.

Unless you wash, disinfect, and oil the edges on your used blade. It is degrading and micro chipping due to oxidation, just sitting on the shelf dirty and unprotected. The edge of your shave blade is the most breakable and delicate thing in your house.

scienceofsharp - https://scienceofsharp.com/ There are some excellent articles on blade sharpnesses and more importantly blade deterioration.

Using a fresh blade removes quite a few adjustments and moving parts in your shave. It also speeds up your shave.
In general I’d be a little nervous to use a new blade each shave, as I typically get more comfortable results after the first use.
I would sooner use a sharp blade over a duller blade, no matter what cutting job. I was a little terrified when I sojourned into Straights and Kamasori’s. Fear of handling sharp edges, never mind shaving with them. You practice and become more efficient. Not an issue or a problem.

Awhile back, after single uses of a Feather for over a year. I re-tried my previous blade a Bic Platinum. My first stroke felt like someone grabbed me by the pants and was holding me back. Sharper blades cut faster with fewer stroke needed to complete the job.

The most comfortable shaves are the most efficient shaves. The other three components of your shave must also match your blade edge’s performance. A slow lather can easily kill a sharp blade.

You always have an efficient, poetic way of phrasing things @JoWolf and it's always a pleasure to read. How succinct:
Repeated uses of worn blades are in fact new uses.
And thought provoking. Perhaps I am accustomed to the blades after a certain amount of wear, but that's an inconsistent variable. I take the extra step of dunking my razors in alcohol to promote faster, hopefully more complete drying. But no additional steps are taken to prevent oxidation. I suppose these edges have a limited lifespan on the counter, no matter how many (or few) shaves they experience. And they are never really the same blade twice!

And this description made me smile:
My first stroke felt like someone grabbed me by the pants and was holding me back.
I know you appreciate when equipment feels like it's encouraging speed and playfulness, instead of forcing you to "manage" inefficiency. And a clearer description could not be written.

6/2
IMG_5314.jpg

Because I'm setting off into the "unknown" of this new work environment, I felt compelled to reach for known quantities today. Mike's Natural with the Whipped Dog 2-band badger, and a new Nacet dropped into the FaTip. Did an overnight treatment of the VDH shave butter to hopefully promote skin elasticity.

Razor feels pretty smooth, especially on the earlier passes. We haven't danced in a while, but my unfamiliarity is only on display with a single pinhead nick as I navigate the chin. There is the faintest texture of whiskers remaining in some places, but I can tell my skin is not tolerating anything past 3 passes. The result is comfortable, one spot at the chin is not totally addressed but things are pretty clean generally. Alum is very faintly detectable. HydroBoost and a splash of Thayer's to conclude.

You always have an efficient, poetic way of phrasing things @JoWolf and it's always a pleasure to read. How succinct:

And thought provoking. Perhaps I am accustomed to the blades after a certain amount of wear, but that's an inconsistent variable. I take the extra step of dunking my razors in alcohol to promote faster, hopefully more complete drying. But no additional steps are taken to prevent oxidation. I suppose these edges have a limited lifespan on the counter, no matter how many (or few) shaves they experience. And they are never really the same blade twice!

And this description made me smile:

I know you appreciate when equipment feels like it's encouraging speed and playfulness, instead of forcing you to "manage" inefficiency. And a clearer description could not be written.

6/2
View attachment 1664596

Because I'm setting off into the "unknown" of this new work environment, I felt compelled to reach for known quantities today. Mike's Natural with the Whipped Dog 2-band badger, and a new Nacet dropped into the FaTip. Did an overnight treatment of the VDH shave butter to hopefully promote skin elasticity.

Razor feels pretty smooth, especially on the earlier passes. We haven't danced in a while, but my unfamiliarity is only on display with a single pinhead nick as I navigate the chin. There is the faintest texture of whiskers remaining in some places, but I can tell my skin is not tolerating anything past 3 passes. The result is comfortable, one spot at the chin is not totally addressed but things are pretty clean generally. Alum is very faintly detectable. HydroBoost and a splash of Thayer's to

@desertcat Thank you for your response and compliment. I enjoy this community, the learning and trading of ideas helps to improve our shaves. Regardless of our shave designs. As you put it “Managing Inefficiencies”, they are present in all shaves.

Personal update first: I was offered a position after my working interview this week. Bittersweet as I will miss my team that I've worked with over the last 9 months, but I'm hopeful the new opportunity is a better fit--more lucrative, less emotionally demanding... perhaps both.

5/3

IMG_5319.jpeg

Fresh AstraSP loaded into the Timeless SS SC .95, lathered Lothur Calm sample with the TGN Finest badger. Lather was rich, perhaps not quite as fluid as I'd prefer but certainly useful. Decent lingering slickness and good feel overall, not a substantial post-shave presence. Scent was very nice.

The Timeless is another razor I haven't used in a number of days. Problems don't really emerge until the final ATG strokes and touchup, I open a number of pinhead weepers on the neck just below the jawline, perhaps a few others elsewhere. I know this blade and razor combination has worked for me in the past, so my clumsiness must be to blame. Noticeable reaction to alum. The shave succeeds in being very close, however. I think I concluded with HydroBoost and Lucky Tiger if memory serves.

5/4
Nacet with 1 prior shave in the FaTip Grande, lathered Pamolive with the RV Finest badger. Growth is very sparing so the southbound pass is quite rapid and perhaps superfluous. I restrain myself on the ATG pass and manage a more comfortable result, not totally catching all the faintest stubble but doing acceptably well. Alum makes little sensation, concluding with CeraVe cream for maximum nourishment.

Thinking more on the oxidation/degradation problem that @JoWolf was highlighting, I may bounce between these two razors until their blades expire, giving them perhaps 3 shaves apiece before switching. I have an inkling to try other well-liked blades to see if they give more comfortable experiences fresh from the wrapper. We'll see. Time to wind down my evening.

Thanks folks @Phoenixkh @Guido75 I am transferring to a different property in the company, at the cost of giving up a leadership position. I was tired of the circus they were asking me to help run.

Being the big fish in a small pond gets tiresome sometimes, and I know better than to cling to titles. So it’s sort of a lateral move… we’ll see how it shakes out.

@Guido75 I appreciate the compliment. In the past I stuck around in workplaces that weren't compatible with my wellbeing, so I made the decision with hard-earned experience as my guide. I am hopeful my instincts have pointed me in the right direction.

Speaking of change, I had not been following the general threads on the forum and am just now learning about the MWF reformulation. Seems like there's only a short window to decide--do I stock up while the original version is still available? In the spirit of change, instead of purchasing 2 pucks of MWF I'm purchasing a tub of Canada Shaving Soap. I know we all enjoy this pasttime because it has an aura of nostalgia, but there are such great veg soaps now (SV, MdC etc) and I need to get with the program.

...but just in case, I'm getting a 12pk of Arko too. I'd be lost without Arko. And getting a couple flavors of blades I've been meaning to try, why not.

Yeah, read that too and honestly I was going back and forth on that. My local shop definitely has the tallow version still in stock. And then I wondered why. I have approximately 4 years of soap as it is and there are other alternatives available including the amazing Mike’s Natural Soaps which have both tallow and lanolin. Prior to getting MWF I was cruising along just fine without (same goes for Tabac by the way - don’t need that after this puck! And that’s going to take an eternity as it is). I am glad with the luck I have and it is a wonderful soap, but not so much so that I want to get all I can get. At least that’s where I am right now. And I do get that people do, because it is an amazing soap.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have extra tubs of a few soaps.... I have 4 extra Canada Shaving Soap tubs however. I think I'll get about a year out of each of them, if not a few months more. It really works that well for me and due to the hardness, it's pretty cost effective.

I doubt it would be inexpensive if you add the shipping costs to the Netherlands, however.... sorry, Guido.

Yeah, that soap is off limits for me @Phoenixkh. Even in CAD it would be more expensive than getting MdC. Or I could get about 6 MWF pucks. At least it’s available. Mike’s I cannot get at all without some US help.

Guido

Personal update first: I was offered a position after my working interview this week. Bittersweet as I will miss my team that I've worked with over the last 9 months, but I'm hopeful the new opportunity is a better fit--more lucrative, less emotionally demanding... perhaps both.

5/3

View attachment 1665792

Fresh AstraSP loaded into the Timeless SS SC .95, lathered Lothur Calm sample with the TGN Finest badger. Lather was rich, perhaps not quite as fluid as I'd prefer but certainly useful. Decent lingering slickness and good feel overall, not a substantial post-shave presence. Scent was very nice.

The Timeless is another razor I haven't used in a number of days. Problems don't really emerge until the final ATG strokes and touchup, I open a number of pinhead weepers on the neck just below the jawline, perhaps a few others elsewhere. I know this blade and razor combination has worked for me in the past, so my clumsiness must be to blame. Noticeable reaction to alum. The shave succeeds in being very close, however. I think I concluded with HydroBoost and Lucky Tiger if memory serves.

5/4
Nacet with 1 prior shave in the FaTip Grande, lathered Pamolive with the RV Finest badger. Growth is very sparing so the southbound pass is quite rapid and perhaps superfluous. I restrain myself on the ATG pass and manage a more comfortable result, not totally catching all the faintest stubble but doing acceptably well. Alum makes little sensation, concluding with CeraVe cream for maximum nourishment.

Thinking more on the oxidation/degradation problem that @JoWolf was highlighting, I may bounce between these two razors until their blades expire, giving them perhaps 3 shaves apiece before switching. I have an inkling to try other well-liked blades to see if they give more comfortable experiences fresh from the wrapper. We'll see. Time to wind down my evening.

@desertcat Good luck with your new work position. Your circumstances were familiar to me. The tasks at hand
always straightforward. Guiding and directing people the real job. Herding cats.

My time with straights and honing divided a shave into two parts. Blade Apex - Shave. The path to comfort. The chasm between Straights and DE, combined with age and arthritic challenges were obstacles. DE won out. Apex’s loupe viewed, normal for straight users. Develops a great respect for the edge. Razor Never used without pre dressing the edge. Ultra sharp, ultra efficient, Ultra Comfort. Grandpa is smiling.

My technique, shave time and comfort improved using a sharper edge. My admiration to all the fine gentlemen who get comfortable shaves with a dulling blade. Straights were probably the impetus to re-use de blades. Early dressing and edge renewals not worth the time or effort. Blades are cheap. King Gillette put five in a tuck. It still took me a few months to feel comfortable binning a slightly soiled Feather. Why are we so cheap about blades? Even when it hurts and we’re bleeding. 🩸

Went for a speedy, steep hike in the Columbia gorge today to clear my head. Caught a nice view of a waterfall.

IMG_5326.jpeg

6/5

IMG_5334.jpeg

Lathered B&M Fougère Angelique sample with Omega 49 boar. FaTip loaded with a Nacet with two prior uses.

The last B&M sample I used was Leviathan, which I detested and scarcely noticed the soap performance as result. This was a different story. Very satisfying lather, slick, good facefeel. Scent was lovely, gives me confidence that I'd enjoy other traditional/classical Fougère scents. I have a fear of lavender because of reactions I had to AoS Lavender, fortunately no issues arose today.

Shave was straightforward. Could feel the enthusiasm of the blade starting to wane from the first stroke, but I managed to compensate reasonably well and still shaved pretty thoroughly. More thoroughly than yesterday and still comfortable. But I've had closer. Little response from the alum. HydroBoost finish. Binned the blade afterword. Normally I'd push it for a shave or two more, but it was noticeably duller (perhaps I'm just noticing more closely). It has also been numerous visits with the FaTip/Nacet and I wonder if the AstraSP has a slightly longer lifespan in that razor. Have both Perma Sharps and GSBs inbound to compare with my current blades. Experiments probably won't commence for a few days, perhaps even after I finish the soap samples.

5/3

View attachment 1665792

5/4

Congratulations Peter!! New gigs are both stressful and exciting, it sounds like an excellent upgrade.

Went for a speedy, steep hike in the Columbia gorge today to clear my head. Caught a nice view of a waterfall.

View attachment 1666368

6/5

View attachment 1666358

Lathered B&M Fougère Angelique sample with Omega 49 boar. FaTip loaded with a Nacet with two prior uses.

The last B&M sample I used was Leviathan, which I detested and scarcely noticed the soap performance as result. This was a different story. Very satisfying lather, slick, good facefeel. Scent was lovely, gives me confidence that I'd enjoy other traditional/classical Fougère scents. I have a fear of lavender because of reactions I had to AoS Lavender, fortunately no issues arose today.

Shave was straightforward. Could feel the enthusiasm of the blade starting to wane from the first stroke, but I managed to compensate reasonably well and still shaved pretty thoroughly. More thoroughly than yesterday and still comfortable. But I've had closer. Little response from the alum. HydroBoost finish. Binned the blade afterword. Normally I'd push it for a shave or two more, but it was noticeably duller (perhaps I'm just noticing more closely). It has also been numerous visits with the FaTip/Nacet and I wonder if the AstraSP has a slightly longer lifespan in that razor. Have both Perma Sharps and GSBs inbound to compare with my current blades. Experiments probably won't commence for a few days, perhaps even after I finish the soap samples.
Nice Pic.

Top Bottom