What's new

Eleven Years On

2/1 SOTD

View attachment 1598497

Taking the '62 Slim Adjustable for another ride. Want to bump the aggression higher and see how I fare. To reduce unknowns I lather with the TGN Badger and my Cella sample, in hindsight should have considered a soap I'm a little more familiar with. Lather has a great consistency but I just don't quite have enough of it, and I still go for a 3 pass anyway. I could have been more patient and persistent with my loading. Started in bowl and finished on face, after hot towel.

I set the razor at 7, the AstraSP has had two previous shaves. WTG I follow the more N->S pattern, presuming the razor will still be "mild" but I'm quickly proved wrong. It's productive, but leaves some smoothness to be desired. I have a similar feeling in the E->W XTG pass. Lots of bladefeel, but unlike in some of my other razors there's a little skipping happening, especially in the second pass--I presume this is because the blade is not clamped as tightly. I even check the TTO handle, and I've got it firmly twisted. Despite all this, I'd prefer to get a little closer after two passes and do a full ATG, even if I barely made enough lather to accomplish the task. I don't change the razor settings, another missed opportunity to improve the shave. A couple weepers get opened, but it generally goes well--I can just tell I'm teasing some razor burn with all this blade contact. I do make the correct decision to do this pass with a pretty direct ATG approach, so at least I'm effectively removing stubble.

Alum has some places of noticeable sting, weepers all close without much trouble. I reach for Nivea Sensitive, hoping it will absorb rapidly. BBS-/DFS+ but far far less comfortable than other razors have given me. On the other hand, I think prior to rejoining B&B I would frequently experience similar irritation and considered it normal. My standards for comfort have increased, apparently. And I imagine with a little more familiarity I might be able to tolerate this setting for a 3 pass, especially with better lather. Still feeling a little warmth along the jawline and chin 20 minutes later.

I still want to try the Slim at a 9, but will restrict myself to only shaving W/XTG or two passes at such a setting. I have read a number of folks do 9/7/5 for their 3 passes, so far my experience supports this strategy.

Happy February, especially to all you brave one-blade participants.

My three experiments with a slim on 7 went about the same as yours has. I read about some guys using 9 and that just blows me away, my technique isn't anywhere near good enough yet to survive that with the Slim. Especially not for a XTG pass.

Like @Guido75 pointed out some guys go up per pass and I gave that a shot, trying 5-6-7. It was not a smooth shave. At all. :) Now the slim lives pretty much between 4-5 for all my shaves.

Although once my technique improves I'd like to come back and try the higher gap settings again.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Slim, friends.
Sounds counterintuitive
Others in the SOTD thread made a similar suggestion. I can see it from both sides--on the one hand, when I've used two razors on heavier growth I've always started with the more aggressive and moved into the milder razor for further passes. However, aggression/efficiency can also mitigate irritation if managed properly, so I can also imagine a higher setting "working" better on the remaining whiskers after less efficient starting passes.
once my technique improves
Between familiarity and further experiments, I too hope to improve the shaves I get from the Slim. It's clearly a capable razor in the right hands and circumstances, I just need to find the best way that works for me. I want to harness that potential, rather than have another razor that mimics the efficiency of my Super Speeds.

1/2 SOTD
IMG_4443.jpg

Growth is light today, going for a familiar razor and unfamiliar lather and brush: Ogallala Bay Rum with a boar set in Whipped Dog resin handle, a well-packed knot with less loft than my Omega boars. New AstraSP in the GameChanger .84-P.

I bowl lather to protect my skin, following a hot towel. Lather whips up easily, very fragrant which makes me a little nervous about sensitivity. I end up making just enough lather, many of my newer brushes are smaller and I'm still getting acclimated to their capacity. I do appreciate that the brush doesn't paint and splay like my new Omega, good bristle rigidity while still having comfortable tips. Upon lather application I feel immediate heat on my goatee and mustache, no complaints on the neck surprisingly. I feel an urgency to get the shave accomplished, having flashbacks to issues I've faced with Tabac. However as the shave progresses I also feel a cooling tingle not unlike a mentholated product, and after the shave I don't feel any "heat" like I've raised irritation. So I think I can safely enjoy this soap, but perhaps sparingly and on days when my skin is well-prepared.

The shaving goes quite easily and normally, no surprise. I end up doing 3 passes and a couple weepers form near the goatee, I suspect yesterday's shave is the culprit. Alum has presence but not as loud as yesterday. Results are BBS- generally, I had an especially successful touchup at the base of the neck. No razor burn from my direct ATG strokes. I acquired CeraVe Cream which I should've been using all winter, very rich product that still absorbs quickly.

We’re not brave — we’re lazy.
Two things can be true at the same time, @thombrogan ;) Glad to see from your journal that you're also feeling better.

2/3 SOTD

Late night yesterday, and growth barely exceeding stubble. However I never get tired of FaTip!

IMG_4453.jpg

I lathered MWF with the Whipped Dog ceramic handle two band badger. Used some Cremo for a preshave after a hot towel. Great textures on the face, of my new Whipped Dog brushes this one is certainly king. More backbone than the Yaqi silvertip, and nearly as soft of bristles (and not unnaturally soft).

The AstraSP in the FaTip has 1 prior use. As I start the shave I notice a slight lack of smoothness which I wouldn't expect, perhaps this blade has lost its luster prematurely. I leave the blade loaded in the FaTip between shaves, unlike in other razors I don't loosen the handle--perhaps I should get a little rubbing alcohol container to more effectively dry and clean the blade while it's loaded.
I end up doing a full 3 pass, no weepers from the first two passes but I open a couple in the ATG direction. First pass was more WTG than XWTG, diagonally outward from the center. But the 3rd pass was fully ATG. Alum is fairly unresponsive, which surprises me because the shave is very close. BBS with a few touches of BBS- especially thorough on the cheeks. I use HydroBoost and a splash of The Veg afterword.

Have a great shave and weekend!

I leave the blade loaded in the FaTip between shaves, unlike in other razors I don't loosen the handle--perhaps I should get a little rubbing alcohol container to more effectively dry and clean the blade while it's loaded.

Hmm. I do the same thing with my wonderful @Guido75 Piccilo.
Update: took the FaTip apart to remove the blade since it felt off today. Lots of water collected between the plates, and I shaved several hours ago, so I'd better set up an alcohol container. Will be good to give all my razors a dip after each use.

Now you've got me thinking now I should do the same. Thanks for posting about that @desertcat! I would have never figured that out at all.

I take everything apart
I can’t be bothered to do all that. I just take pressure off the threads by loostening everything (without fully taking my razors apart) with the exception of the FaTip, which I don’t want to retighten/align each shave. If I split the handle or strip the threads, I’ll buy another—until they’re going out of business. But a quick swish in rubbing alcohol is an easy way to dry and protect the blade.

I should do the same
Been shaving this way for years and never worried about it, but today’s run with the FaTip makes me feel like it’s worth the time. Granted, not worth the time to disassemble my razors after each shave, but enough to add one more step.

2/4

Tonight is the final evening of work this week--and it's been a doozy. I need a close shave, I don't have excess neural activity for unfamiliar equipment: GameChanger is a no brainer. The blade loaded has 1 prior shave. I also don't feel like doing shave dishes afterword, so I grab the Plissoft 400 and Arko for a face lather. Growth is even lighter than yesterday, the FaTip gave an excellent and durable shave.

First pass I go N->S which is nice and productive. Second pass is fairly horizontal, not terribly effective; on a different day I might've tried a 2-pass with a S->N direction, but I'm sticking to routines for now. Third pass ATG presents no weepers and is thorough. Especially good results in the goatee/chin/jawline, strangely whiskers under the lip/corners of mouth have some length remaining. Alum has barely any feedback. I apply CeraVe cream with a touch of Thayer's to conclude.

Writing now some minutes later, I can feel a little heat on my neck--many days of close shaves are taking their toll. Overall I got the results I was seeking and feel satisfied. May you have the same.

2/5

Very tired today after my long week. Yesterday's shave was remarkably thorough, I merely had the beginnings of stubble today. Perhaps the whiskers fear the GameChanger.

IMG_4456.jpg

Using the Yaqi Silvertip with my Cella sample today. The '66 Tech seems like the appropriate tool, I don't feel like trying a new razor or setting on the Slim today. Figuring it's time to dip into the tuck of Nacets I've had for a couple weeks.

Despite whatever chemical treatments it received, the brush still has a distinct animal aroma. I soak the bristles while showering as I do with all my natural brushes, but perhaps the Yaqi should be the exception--the tips need no additional softening. I make a nice lather with Cella pressed into the lather bowl, but an insufficient quantity--I think I need to change something about loading. After applying a hot towel, the lathering on the face feels very comfortable. After shaving and rinsing out the brush, the tips feel strangely slimy while I'm towel drying. I know there's no soap remaining on the bristles (that always has a distinct crackling sound) so it must be part of the "treated" aspect of the hair. I hope it goes away, but my expectations are low. Still--this brush feels very comfortable for lathering, I wish it had a touch more backbone.

The blade and razor combination is quite nice. I detect a keenness with this blade, while being much smoother than I recall the Personna Lab Blue in the Tech. Marginally sharper than a fresh AstraSP, and perhaps as smooth. I do two passes, N->S and then a S->N with a little touchup on the chin. The sharper blade gave me confidence to do a more aggressive 2nd pass, rather than an E->W XTG like I'd do for 3 passes. Alum is neutral. Comfortable DFS+/BBS- with no weepers or irritation. I reached for CeraVe to tie everything together.

Enjoy your week!

2/6

Very persistent shave yesterday, much lighter growth than I find typical after a shave with the '66 Tech. Wanting to continue testing the Nacet in that razor before moving on to other experiments.

Today I'll be using the D.R. Harris Arlington stick, there's a little Cella still remaining in the lather bowl also. Still trying to break in the white handle Omega 49, it has no difficulty building up a nice lather with these ingredients. Started in the bowl and finished on the face after a hot towel, no preshave ingredient today.

First strokes with the Tech, I am blown away--Did I forget something yesterday, was the Nacet really that much more efficient?! Then I realized I had forgotten to retighten the razor head before starting :facep:fortunately no nicks or weepers from my carelessness. N->S pass goes without incident. S->N I chase some buffing on the chin with insufficient lather or slickness remaining, I should've just reapplied lather. I do a fairly substantial touchup on mustache, goatee, jawline, chin (with new lather, smartly). After rinsing, alum has a little response but overall quiet, no weepers anywhere. Some BBS- but generally an easy DFS+ with the exception of overshaving some spots on the chin. I conclude with HydroBoost.

I think I already enjoy the Nacets enough to warrant a 100pk purchase. Other blades to try would be the GSB, PermaSharp, still want to try a Treet in the FaTip. Any shopping becomes an opportunity for my acquisition appetites to appear... Have been eyeballing a RR SLOC v1--I know it gets rave reviews, it's inexpensive and I feel like the buffing technique is something I already do with my other razors. Will try not to treewhale too hard otherwise.

Have a good day!

2/6

Very persistent shave yesterday, much lighter growth than I find typical after a shave with the '66 Tech. Wanting to continue testing the Nacet in that razor before moving on to other experiments.

Today I'll be using the D.R. Harris Arlington stick, there's a little Cella still remaining in the lather bowl also. Still trying to break in the white handle Omega 49, it has no difficulty building up a nice lather with these ingredients. Started in the bowl and finished on the face after a hot towel, no preshave ingredient today.

First strokes with the Tech, I am blown away--Did I forget something yesterday, was the Nacet really that much more efficient?! Then I realized I had forgotten to retighten the razor head before starting :facep:fortunately no nicks or weepers from my carelessness. N->S pass goes without incident. S->N I chase some buffing on the chin with insufficient lather or slickness remaining, I should've just reapplied lather. I do a fairly substantial touchup on mustache, goatee, jawline, chin (with new lather, smartly). After rinsing, alum has a little response but overall quiet, no weepers anywhere. Some BBS- but generally an easy DFS+ with the exception of overshaving some spots on the chin. I conclude with HydroBoost.

I think I already enjoy the Nacets enough to warrant a 100pk purchase. Other blades to try would be the GSB, PermaSharp, still want to try a Treet in the FaTip. Any shopping becomes an opportunity for my acquisition appetites to appear... Have been eyeballing a RR SLOC v1--I know it gets rave reviews, it's inexpensive and I feel like the buffing technique is something I already do with my other razors. Will try not to treewhale too hard otherwise.

Have a good day!

You and I are really channeling lately @desertcat!

I also shaved with my Tech and a Nacet yesterday after a few weeks with a Gillette Platinum. I was just sitting here, seriously, rubbing my jaw 18ish hours later surprised at how little stubble I've developed since. It's really quite astonishing - and almost disappointingly it killed any to shave today :) Dang!

I'd also like to try a PermaSharp at some point, that's one blade I'm really curious about. But I think we've stumbled on something pretty good with this Tech/Nacet combination. It's outshaving expectations for sure!

Tech/Nacet combination

I am definitely tickled that we both happened to try the same combination at the same time, glad it's also working for you too. The old story of sharp blade + mild razor certainly makes an effective combo. What year/make is your Tech? Do I recall correctly it's an English Flat Bottom?
I have had easier shaves with my later model '66, but eventually will do some consecutive shaves with the Pre-War Tech, which is moderately more aggressive (and I have struggled to manage comfortable shaves with it). Wondering if a different brand of blades will agree with that razor and my face/technique. Before tackling that experiment, I will be curious to try a fresh Nacet in the GameChanger--although I may stick with milder shavers for a few days to give my face some recovery.

EDIT: I have read that the PermaSharp is near-indistinguishable from the Nacet for some folks. Typically Nacet's are a little costlier (although ItalianBarber has them on sale at the moment) but of course nowhere near the price of Med Preps/Feather etc.

I am definitely tickled that we both happened to try the same combination at the same time, glad it's also working for you too. The old story of sharp blade + mild razor certainly makes an effective combo. What year/make is your Tech? Do I recall correctly it's an English Flat Bottom?
I have had easier shaves with my later model '66, but eventually will do some consecutive shaves with the Pre-War Tech, which is moderately more aggressive (and I have struggled to manage comfortable shaves with it).

How are you finding the Nacet in your Tech? Now that I've had two shaves with that combination I feel like it's definitely sharper and more efficient than the Gillette Platinum but it's giving up more smoothness than I'd hoped for a daily driver setup. If was going to use the Tech on 3+ days growth regularly the Nacet is probably the way to go though.

No, I wish it was an English Flat Bottom! An RFB is on my list of "really wants!!" for sure. This is a cool Tech though. Mostly, it's a gift from @Guido75 so that makes it awesome right there. It's an English aluminum Tech. I've been reading about this some but it's not the most documented of Gillette's razors.

I think the handle and the baseplate is made of aluminum and the top cap is zamac, and it was produced in the 70's (there's no date code). I could be totally wrong about all that :). It's crazy light! Developing the pressure control to use this light of a razor as been a great exercise for me. Adding the heavier handle this week has made it a little less twitchy and made getting the correct pressure a little easier.

I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts on how close/different the '66 and the pre-war Tech's shave. I've got my eyes peeled for my next Tech, I know it's waiting for me out there right now :).

The EFBT is supposedly slightly more effective than the regular Tech. And post war supposedly more mild compared to prewar. I say supposedly because I have read posts that state that all Techs shave basically the same. All I know is that with the right blade my EFBT is a super shaver than can produce very effective BBS results. Techs are really great material and there is a reason this is the most produced DE razor in history I guess - they do the job!

As for @flask28 - I think you are right in your assessment of your Tech. I am not 100% sure about the cap being Zamak (because of the embossing), but I believe it is very likely. It could also be all aluminium. There will be other Techs in your path. It is just a fun razor. Techs in general are also harder to find here in Europe (let alone EFBTs) if you want the US versions that is. UK versions are more common - which is obvious of course. The conditions of those techs are usually user grade - hence me jumping like a lion and holding on to the one you now have!

Cheers,

Guido

@flask28 no need to apologize, you and @Guido75 are always welcome (really anybody) to contribute, whether on-topic or tangents.
And post war supposedly more mild compared to prewar.
My experience has been the pre-war is harsher/less smooth. I have lately wondered if the larger triangular lather holes mean the blade is less supported, and therefore more prone to biting. I don't know why I feel compelled to someday "conquer" that razor, but I want to give it a fair shake. I think I'm just drawn to its aesthetic and age. It will probably take numerous consecutive shaves and perhaps blade experimentation, but I'm trying some other stuff first.

2/7 Red Tip First Voyage

IMG_4463.jpg

Decided to finally take the 1955 Red Tip for a drive. Moved the AstraSP out of the GC, it has two prior shaves. Hadn't lathered with a synthetic in several days, I choose the Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo paired with MWF. A little more growth today than in previous shaves.

WTG strokes with this razor felt nearly as carefree and easy as my '57 SS, but are they more effective? During the first pass, I struggled to notice. Figuring I'll explore the supposed efficiency of this razor, my second pass is S->N. I can feel more blade than I do with the '57 Flare Tip, but I think there's definitely more thorough shaving happening. I have a mountain of lather and still some stubble, so I return for a final touchup--probably almost a 3rd pass pointed fully ATG. I get nicked above the chin, one tiny weeper emerged under the chin--but otherwise I emerge unscathed and very closely shaved. Alum has a little feel, but not enough to qualify as a sting. I used CeraVe Cream to conclude. A very fine BBS- throughout, although I feel a touch of razor irritation lingering below the chin.

I feel a little relieved, I was somewhat nervous to try the Red Tip! I get needlessly intimidated sometimes. First impressions, I think it's a middle ground between the comfort of the '57 Flare Tip and the harshness of the Slim Adjustable on higher settings. I am totally clueless about correct shaving angles with this razor, but I have renewed confidence that I can learn without carving up my face.

Tomorrow I may return to the '66 Tech/Nacet combination, before trying the Nacet in other razors. Wishing you smooth shaving!

How are you finding the Nacet in your Tech?
After two shaves, I found it to be sharp but comfortable. Nearly as smooth as my typical AstraSP, but definitely sharper and more effective. I think I had about two shaves with the Personna Lab Blue, which I recall having similar sharpness but feeling much harsher.
Note that both of my Tech/Nacet shaves were 2 pass, one pass down and one pass up (so XWTG and XATG), have not yet tried a 3 pass. Also have not yet tried the Nacet in more aggressive or modern razors. In the context of the later-model tech with sub-3 passes, I feel like I could shave with it daily--but that's from my very limited, early estimation.

That English Aluminum Tech is a beauty, especially the handle. @Guido75 has impeccable taste.

Top Bottom