What's new

Electronic Sight for Pistols

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think the key to using a reflex red dot sight on a pistol is being able to mount it low as possible, probably needs to co-witness on the front sight, or close to it, so that the alignment is the same muscle memory as when using irons, or you lose the speed advantage "searching for the dot". Shooting pursuits with less urgency than self defense or time sensitive competition is certainly possible when the red dot is mounted higher.

It really all depends on what you are using your pistol for and how much training you are willing to put in.

For slow bulls eye shooting they are great. They are also good for low light shooting or those people that might have eye sight issues where getting a clear front sight in relation to the target and rear sights is an issue as you can focus on the target and superimpose the red dot and you are good to go without having to worry about focus.

However, for any type faster defensive type shooting there are considerations that you need to take into account. There is a tremendous learning curve to these with dynamic shooting tasks such as shooting fast from a holster and site tracking during recoil because there is not 2 frames of reference like a front and rear site - so you most undoubtedly will be slower if that is what you are working on and it will take some practice to not have to hunt for the dot. Using a site like an Aimpoint T1 might help with this as you might get some scope shadow that might aid in alignment but it is not a guaranteed solution.

Additionally, if you are serious in using these for defensive purposes (and training a lot with the same gun you are using for that purpose), these devices (even the more expensive ones) are not robust enough to withstand the continuous recoil thuds that happen on a semi automatic pistol (reciprocating slide and proximity to cartridge detonation) - a training setup and carry pistol setup (that is seldom used) are highly recommended but more money.

I'm sure we all know this but it bears repeating: In order to be ready to defend yourself you should train to draw/fire/hit your target without the sights. RDS are great for target shooting or competition but in an emergency you won't have time to draw a bead or acquire the dot. Distance will most likely be within a few yards.

Every time I go to the range I practice without even looking down the barrel. It becomes second nature very quickly.

Top Bottom