What's new

Electronic hearing protection

strop

Now half as wise
Took my first trip to the range, ever, about 3 weeks ago, and spent a couple of hours with a friend shooting his Sig 9mm and his 1911. I'm hooked! Am signed up for the initial class at a range near me, and still debating my first purchase. I do know I want some electronic ear muffs. For the shop I use plugs plus passive muffs, and can't hear anything! My wife often has to flash the lights in the shop if she needs my attention. I'm uncomfortable with this at a range.

I've been looking and reading reviews, but I'd like some opinions based on first hand experience. What do have, and what do you like/dislike about them. Prices seems to range all over the place. Are $250+ devices that much better than $75 ones, if the are rated comparably for dB reduction? Or is that about comfort, music quality, etc?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport muff - http://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPA...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02415465&rid=20

very comfortable. I wore them for the first time at an indoor range and they didn't work at all. The are supposed to muffle the sound of the gunshot but let you hear folks talking. I heard every gunshot while in there at an amplified level. The guy that works there put them on and walked in and the same thing happened. We decided it was because of the indoor range, and there is just to much going on. Multiple gun shots at once, while people talking. When they are turned off they do their job of muffling the gunshots, but turned on..not so much.

I wore them on an outdoor range and they worked perfectly. Gunshots were muffled and voices were amplified.

So I'm thinking this brand of electronic earmuffs may not be best suited for a busy indoor range. Unless you wear them and don't turn them on. But that's not what you are looking for.

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport muff - http://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPA...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02415465&rid=20

very comfortable. I wore them for the first time at an indoor range and they didn't work at all. The are supposed to muffle the sound of the gunshot but let you hear folks talking. I heard every gunshot while in there at an amplified level. The guy that works there put them on and walked in and the same thing happened. We decided it was because of the indoor range, and there is just to much going on. Multiple gun shots at once, while people talking. When they are turned off they do their job of muffling the gunshots, but turned on..not so much.

I wore them on an outdoor range and they worked perfectly. Gunshots were muffled and voices were amplified.

So I'm thinking this brand of electronic earmuffs may not be best suited for a busy indoor range. Unless you wear them and don't turn them on. But that's not what you are looking for.
This. Highly recommended

I wore a pair of Caldwell Low Profile electronics for 3 years. I wore them 3-5 times a week. From heavy wear, the plastic cushion cover started to breakdown. I trashed them and bought a new set last week. They are well worth the 28 bucks they cost me.

strop

Now half as wise

This. Highly recommended

Sounds like very different experiences with the same product.

There was a thread recently about this. The OP ended up getting a set of these...Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 with an NRR of 30.

I've never used electronic ones so I can't say from experience.

Thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/478619-eye-and-ear-protection

That is what I have been looking at. One of the highest rated dB reductions I found during my search.

I wore a pair of Caldwell Low Profile electronics for 3 years. I wore them 3-5 times a week. From heavy wear, the plastic cushion cover started to breakdown. I trashed them and bought a new set last week. They are well worth the 28 bucks they cost me.

That sounds like you got your money's worth. Did you have the standard ones or behind the head? I've been looking for some behind the head that are rated a little higher. All I've found is in the 19 to 23 NRR. When I'm outside I always have a hot on, though this may be enough for outdoor use.

So are these really worth $150 more than the Howard Leight? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ears-Elec...6&sr=8-9&keywords=pro+ears+hearing+protection

And then even higher.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012CZO7RW?psc=1

For most things I am a firm believer in the adage "You get what you pay for" but I also don't to spend money if it is not worth it.

I got the Peltor tactical ear pro on recommendation my John McQuay at 8541 Tactical and absolutely love them. I shot my 1903A4 while someone shot their 7.62x51 on my left and the guy on my right shot his .338 Lapua Mag. After about a hour or so and the dudes leave, I take the Peltor off during a cease fire and can still hear like nothing happened. Money well spent in my opinion. Worth a look at least.

the best setup is electronic muffs over foam plugs. That gives 40 db+ protection and allows you to hear. I use walker alphas, but also have pro ears gold and 3m muffs. All three work, but the walkers have more volume so they work best over plugs. The pro ears probably work the best as a stand alone muff, but also cost the most.

strop

Now half as wise
I got the Peltor tactical ear pro on recommendation my John McQuay at 8541 Tactical and absolutely love them. I shot my 1903A4 while someone shot their 7.62x51 on my left and the guy on my right shot his .338 Lapua Mag. After about a hour or so and the dudes leave, I take the Peltor off during a cease fire and can still hear like nothing happened. Money well spent in my opinion. Worth a look at least.

I probably would have passed right over them (and probably did) because of the 20dB NRR. Nice to know they seem to do the job.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I got these with the head band, and have them now for well over 4 years.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Soundtrap-...123818&sr=8-19&keywords=peltor+ear+protectors
They are perfect for me, cost-wise, I think I paid something like $55-60 at my range for it. Batteries last very, very long, I am only on my second set and pretty much use them weekly (just make sure to turn them off). This is important, I overheard some of the RSO's at my range complaining that the batteries for their electronic ear muffs only last maybe 10-12 hours....

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had an old pair of Peltor Tactical electronic muffs that served me well for many years, don't remember the exact model. Well worth the money. I'm now in the market for a new pair. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Sounds like very different experiences with the same product.

I have a few pairs of HL. I got them on sale as low as $40. I use them at competitions and hunting and think they are a very good deal for the price. There is a difference between them and Pro Ears but for my budget the HL are great. In a busy range they will activate the suppression (as they should) with all the shots and the sound/suppression/sound.. can be distracting so I turn them off then or use a regular 30db muff. When running/shooting a match or duck hunting they work fine. I don't know if that would be different with the high end brands but I think not.

If you are shooting rifle a slim design will prove better than the bulky full size muffs. Comfort is another consideration. Waring my HL for 5-7 hours during a competition get uncomfortable for me and I end up rotating ear plugs and other muffs during the day. I heard Pro Ears are more comfortable in the long run. I'd like to hear opinions on that.

Tom

There was a thread recently about this. The OP ended up getting a set of these...Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 with an NRR of 30.

I've never used electronic ones so I can't say from experience.

Thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/478619-eye-and-ear-protection

That was my thread. With a few months of use:

I highly recommend the Howard Leights. Fantastic and very easy to converse. The best part is the don't cut sound completely, they reduce loud sounds to below a danger threshold. I tried a friends electronic muffs -- they're a "bargain" electonic muff. (Maybe Caldwells? Champions? Not sure) Anyway, I found them to be very annoying. Every time a there was a shot, the muffs muted completely and took a half a second or so to come back on. That basically means you can't carry on a conversation at a busy range. The Leights, because they seem to attenuate, not mute, are very conversation friendly.
Also the Leights are much more comfortable -- even though they are much bigger, the cups are softer and seal better. They also have a jack so you can plug in a ipod or other audio device.
The Leights were about $50, my friends were about $25.

Last edited:

I got these as well from Bass Pro for $10 off right now. I really like them and had no idea just how loud my 40 is until I let a friend try my earpro on and shot 1 round. HOLY CRAP lol

Top Bottom