What's new

Electronic Headphone Preferences?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm in! I'll supply the 10 acres of land and y'all supply the heavy equipment to build the berm, and set up a realistic training range course. Heck, we could probably get a couple of junk cars from the salvage and get a little dilapidated house to bring in for building clearing exercises.

Heavy equipment? We are trying to do this cheap so we can charge for it cheap. Can't we just rent a bobcat and collect some old tires? :)

OkieStubble

That has certainly crossed my mind, but the "rural" property in this semi-rural area is way out of my price range and in town zoning seems to be a major issue for indoor ranges. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this otherwise conservative area. I suppose it's a "NIMBY" issue, dunno. I'm not dialed into the local politics. I'm sure an indoor range could be very popular in the area. It seems others have tried over the years, but couldn't make a go of it.

When I retire, I am seriously considering entering the civilian side of firearms training. If I'm not too old by then. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Heavy equipment? We are trying to do this cheap so we can charge for it cheap. Can't we just rent a bobcat and collect some old tires? :)

That will work. And you're already an instructor, and a friend of mine I used to work with (who was on the Border Patrol Pistol Team for several years) is a NRA instructor. I've looked in to the NRA instructor course.

Charge cheap? The 10 acres of land around here is worth about $50,000.

And I wonder what the yearly insurance rate is for ranges like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. Hundreds of thousands of dollars?

We could call it Misfire Ranch.

Oh, this thread is wandering.

OkieStubble

That will work. And you're already an instructor, and a friend of mine I used to work with (who was on the Border Patrol Pistol Team for several years) is a NRA instructor. I've looked in to the NRA instructor course.

Charge cheap? The 10 acres of land around here is worth about $50,000.

And I wonder what the yearly insurance rate is for ranges like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. Hundreds of thousands of dollars?

We could call it Misfire Ranch.

Oh, this thread is wandering.

Lol'd. We are terrible. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I’m not complaining. I’m just trying to figure out where you guys are and if it’s too far from Tampa.

Old Gnome

We're in adjoining states. John is in Louisiana, I think, Rob is in OKC area, and I'm in N.E. Texas about 100 miles N.E. of Dallas and 90 miles west of Texarkana...about 5 miles from the Red River as the crow flies. A bit far for an afternoon drive to the range from Tampa. :biggrin1:

We're in adjoining states. John is in Louisiana, I think, Rob is in OKC area, and I'm in N.E. Texas about 100 miles N.E. of Dallas and 90 miles west of Texarkana...about 5 miles from the Red River as the crow flies. A bit far for an afternoon drive to the range from Tampa. :biggrin1:

Yeah. The afternoon drive is out. But not a road trip.

Old Gnome

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah. The afternoon drive is out. But not a road trip.

Old Gnome

Just bring you firearm and plenty of ammo. And I live right next to a ranch so there is plenty of unoccupied space around here. Gunshots are a normal occurrence around here; nothing to worry about...unlike when you hear them in town.

As far as electronic headphones, I've never used them. I only have some industrial Peltors and a couple of Silencio Magnum ones. I think the Peltors are rated at 32 dB and the Silencios are rated at 28 dB. If you are shooting the loud ones double up with some foam earplugs.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
What's scary is that I live in Texas and it would be a major road trip for me too, about 700 miles to OKC or New Orleans, 500 miles just to Dallas.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What's scary is that I live in Texas and it would be a major road trip for me too, about 700 miles to OKC or New Orleans, 500 miles just to Dallas.

Yeah, when I would go visit aunt and uncle in Uvalde it's an 8 1/2 hour trip.

I'm on my second pair of Howard Leights. battery leak/corrosion got the first pair. I'm perfectly satisfied with them, have enough hearing loss that I really appreciate the external mics for range SA, stalking, and checking my country perimeter. I've gone out a few times at night to check on noises, and hearing better with them on really helps. they attenuate long guns outside and pistols indoors enough, plenty fine for me.

Top Bottom