What's new

Electrics and why I use one.

Before this pandemic I used to get fantastic pain free wet shaves with a blade, a brush, and a great soap. Since the start of this pandemic and never getting any time off (my job stayed open the entire time) I've been wearing masks every day and wet shaving combined with the mask turned my face into an ingrown and irritated mess after shaving. I decided on a whim to try and electric shaver cause I heard good things. I tried wetshaving with the electric but much preferred the dry shave. The first couple of weeks were semi rough but I kept hearing that your skin needs time to adjust to electric shaving so I pushed on. Sure enough at about the 2 & 1/2 to 3 week mark my skin had zero irritation. No more ingrowns no more cysts no more redness. I was able to pick a Braun Series 9 clean & charge for $140 off of someone locally and love the look & feel of the razor. My routine now is dry shave at sink, shower wash my face, and then moisturize when out of the shower. I can shave daily hell even twice a day if I needed. I'm hoping to be able to wet shave when the masks are done but for now I'm going to have to stick with the electric

Before this pandemic I used to get fantastic pain free wet shaves with a blade, a brush, and a great soap. Since the start of this pandemic and never getting any time off (my job stayed open the entire time) I've been wearing masks every day and wet shaving combined with the mask turned my face into an ingrown and irritated mess after shaving. I decided on a whim to try and electric shaver cause I heard good things. I tried wetshaving with the electric but much preferred the dry shave. The first couple of weeks were semi rough but I kept hearing that your skin needs time to adjust to electric shaving so I pushed on. Sure enough at about the 2 & 1/2 to 3 week mark my skin had zero irritation. No more ingrowns no more cysts no more redness. I was able to pick a Braun Series 9 clean & charge for $140 off of someone locally and love the look & feel of the razor. My routine now is dry shave at sink, shower wash my face, and then moisturize when out of the shower. I can shave daily hell even twice a day if I needed. I'm hoping to be able to wet shave when the masks are done but for now I'm going to have to stick with the electric
what about the closeness of shaves?

I have been shaving dry with electric screen type shavers for over 40 years and have never had any skin issues. My routine is exactly the same as your routine. Shave dry, shower and I’m done. I don’t have to lubricant my Braun shaver because I’m not getting it wet, ever. I shave daily which takes about five minutes including the time to brush out the clippings onto a couple of pieces of toilet paper. Last week during the big Texas freeze, I couldn’t shower and didn’t shave for three days. When I cranked up the Braun it mowed down the stubble without any problem. In April I will be coming up on owing this 7 series shaver two years and haven’t yet replaced the screen/cutter cassette.

Panasonic Arc-5 is a very close. Some say closer than Braun, I can't say, I've not used a Braun.

Yep - speed, angle of the cutters and thinness of the foils make the Panny (for me) the equal of my average DE shave, and probably the closest electric on the market. I stopped chasing the baby decades ago - not necessary, more prone to irritation and ingrowns, and a longer shave (with an increased chance of a bad hair shave day). A Panasonic (or even a Braun) will provide a shave as close as I need (or want), and actually with the long term wear of a facial covering like a mask, less problematic for contact dermatitis or skin infections than a super close blade shave. Less close with a Philips/Norelco, but I still cycle the rotaries through because they are the true masters of preventing post-shave ingrowns because of the longer hair shaft and cutting well above skin level (although the 9000 Series can get pretty close to a foil).

Sell it on eBay. If it's still working, it doesn't need to be in a landfill. Philips shavers are generally durable. It's probably still useful but the blades may need to be honed or replaced.

Having taken apart many electric shavers, I can tell you those old trimmers are the weak link in the designs and are prone to breaking. Americans loved them, but most manufacturers in other markets did not include things like trimmers or even, in some cases, power switches, deeming them to be unnecessary. So it's understandable why they would make a separate attachment for something many people rarely use.

I use an inexpensive Wahl beard trimmer to do detail work on sideburns once or twice a week. A foil shaver should keep sideburns fairly clean in between unless you like something elaborate.
You are probably correct about saving the landfill. However, I will keep the old Norelco around as long as the battery still works as a backup for the trimmer on the Braun shaver.

The first Braun shaver I used was made in the United States under license by Ronson. It had no trimmer and no on/off switch. It was just an AC electric motor attached to the cutters and the head which held the screen. I replaced the cutters and the screens once a year and the shaver worked for at least a dozen years. If I still had it, it would probably still work. Finding replacement parts would probably be an impossible task.

i am able to save with a DE. I have used an EJ89 and even if i could get an almost BBS without irritation i simply didn't like it. Because i can routinely get BBS shaves with my carts in half the time and without having to think about angles etc. I'm a pragmatic person, i want to have the best possible result in the minumum amount of time. It's not a hobby for me. With carts, i can have it all. With electrics, unfortunately not. When i find an electric that can give me a BBS in 4 minutes i will buy it in a heartbeat. But i still haven't found it.

I use all types of shaving implements: Carts (Gillette Sensor Excel), Single Edge (GEM HFT & Schick Injectors), and a myriad of DE’s with different blades for each based on performance.

I also use an electric, Panasonic Arc5. I mainly use it for head shaving, as it is at least 4 times faster than any other method, there is no cuts or irritation, and I get every bit as good of a bbs shave as any blade.

Truth be told, I can get as good of a shave with the Arc5 on my face. BBS in 4 minutes when I use the Arc5 with Afta preshave gel.

If you haven’t tried an Arc5 with Afta, you should. You can get the unicorn BBS in 4 minutes. Probably less, since the only prep is rubbing on Afta and letting it dry - 20 seconds at the most.
I still usually wet shave my face in the shower with one of my blades, rotate them for variety, but, the best efficiency is the electric.

Attachments

• 570C4957-7022-42E5-8CAD-C9464E686CCD.jpeg
    570C4957-7022-42E5-8CAD-C9464E686CCD.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom