What's new

Electrics and why I use one.

New member here ( lurked before ) young guy ( 25 ) from UK just wanted to make a post ( sorry about grammar and layout in advance ) about electrics because I think in forums like this they have a bad reputation.

I am a fan of electric Razors but I want to these points, they are my own personal opinion.

Even though I am a fan of electrics I think that the majority of people are not suited to one and I will explain why
They do not suit imo
- People that have naturally dryer skin
- People with thinner follicles but with a lot of density i.e number of follicles
- People with straight hair growth pattern i.e hair that grows down

Why I use one and why they suit me
- I have naturally oily acne prone skin.
- I have thick but sparser follicles, if you research online it says that redheads have thicker follicles but less of them and I have an auburn beard but darker brown head hair so I don't know if that applies to beard hair / facial as well.
- My hair growth pattern is sideways / horizontal towards my ear around my neck, my jawline and about halfway up my cheek

I just wanted to make a post because I do and have lurked shaving forums and they never recommend electric razors, they just say get a DE and shave soap, I do have an issue with that thinking I don't know how many guys are like me but lets say 10% of guys are like me and we just don't suit blade razors.

Blade razor for me = Acne, Ingrown hairs, no shaving against the grain otherwise ingrown hairs, cuts, holding razor sideways

sidenote : I think DE razors are good for sideburns and and goatees etc I own a DE89 kelvin I have perma sharp, gillette silver blues, voskhod and have tried astra blades all of which I bought from connaught.

Electric for me = No acne, No ingrown hairs, 1 pass with shave against the grain, no irritation, no cuts
I actually get a closer shave with electric because I can shave against the grain.

My routine
Braun 3080s wet & dry, I don't oil or clean the foils with solution I know I probably should though.
Pre shave oil - I use somersets
Nivea anti irritation shave stick rubbed against the grain
Hot water on the foils and shave against the grain - this creates a low but slick lather no need for a brush
Post shave nivea balm
rinse shaver under taps

I shave about every 3 days this way and I get close, smooth shaves probably not as close as a blade if I went against the grain but 90% as close without all the stuff I mentioned

I have tried pre electric lotions and they are OK but I find application is not the best and I don't want to pay premium prices for the more expensive ones
I have tried boots pre electric and that was all right I will probably try superdrugs as well at some point.

I hope this post was all right, just wanted to share my take on electrics because I actually do understand why a lot of people don't like them but my point is that they and the majority are not suited to them just like I am not suited to blade razors but I am to electrics.

Thanks for your input! I'm an occasional electric user, just for variety's sake, and have the same model Braun. I can't get as close as multiple passes with a DE or straight, but I can approximate a single pass result, especially when used wet.

A nice aspect of the Braun, especially the 3 series, is the relatively cheap replacement foils/blades. Still, if using wet, you might get a longer life if you apply a tiny drop of mineral oil to the foils regularly and then let it run for a few seconds. I can't verify that this results in longer cutting life, but seems like it should, and it's cheap and easy to do. I use Wahl trimmer oil, which has a fine applicator tip making it easy not to use too much.

I am an old guy and I started shaving with a DE razor but when I was in the service I picked up an electric razor and that is what I've used mostly for many years. Then about 8 years ago I stumbled across B&B and got hooked on traditional wet shaving. I use to do it once in awhile but now that's all I do.
This may sound crazy but I an thinking about going back to the electric razor. The reason is not what you would think. Since I started using these high quality soaps my bathroom sink keeps clogging up rather quickly. I ran a snake thru the drain pipe a good 6 - 10 feet just six months ago. Well my drain I noticed today is already draining slow. I don't know why but it seems to clog up rather quickly.
Because of this I am thinking of going back to an electric razor.

Thanks for the replies yeah I will probably start looking after it a bit better, yeah shaving has been a bit of trail and error for me over the years for but I realise that I am an outlier in terms of my skin and follicle type hence why I think electric shaving works better for me, to shave / brush I use the nivea shave stick as technically it is not a soap and has sodium laureth sulfate in it so I don't think it clogs up in the same way as ordinary shave soaps, shame that it is a discontinued product though as it is very good as an electric wet shave stick as no brush required.

Thanks for your input! I'm an occasional electric user, just for variety's sake, and have the same model Braun. I can't get as close as multiple passes with a DE or straight, but I can approximate a single pass result, especially when used wet.

A nice aspect of the Braun, especially the 3 series, is the relatively cheap replacement foils/blades. Still, if using wet, you might get a longer life if you apply a tiny drop of mineral oil to the foils regularly and then let it run for a few seconds. I can't verify that this results in longer cutting life, but seems like it should, and it's cheap and easy to do. I use Wahl trimmer oil, which has a fine applicator tip making it easy not to use too much.

Yeah also forgot to add this in my reply one of the reasons I got the Braun series wet & dry was the replacement foils are not too bad in terms of price but also availability I can get them from Boots and Argos which are both high street / brick and mortar stores.

To sum up Blade vs Electric and who they suit in my opinion

Blade
Naturally drier skin type
The individual follicles are thinner but you have more of them / dense beard
Growth pattern that is mostly straight down

Electric
Naturally more oily skin type
Thicker individual follicles but sparser / less density
Non straight down hair growth for example hair that grows sideways / horizontal
People with coily & curly hair might be better off with electric although I can not speak from experience as my facial hair is mostly straight only the odd hair that is a bit curly.

This is just my opinion and observation

Having recently bought a Braun series 3 for work I can say with some certainty your observations are more correct than not. I'm a life long wet shaver since 13, but due to small works locker space recently took on a new Braun, rather than the wet shave hear I normally use. I'm using erasmic alovera non foam shave gel and shower shave. For work it's pretty good and is (dare I say it) better than a lot of cheap disposal razors that I've used over the years. Again I have an Auburn / ginger beard that's very wiery but not all face covering and I have greasey skin, but at my age spots don't dare appear any more. I don't get the ingrowns with this new shaver or red spots etc. I'm never going to stop wet shaving as that's my way, but as a shaver for work I'd go as far as to say the Braun series 3 is hard to beat especially at the price boots are knocking em out.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Welcome. Nothing wrong with electric I have a Panasonic and a Norelco. They both worked very well for me. I have oily skin and a course beard, medium density.

I use DE and SE more now, just because I really enjoy it. I could go back to electric tomorrow and get a great shave too.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think the the Braun wet & dry 3 series is probably the best value electric on sale and the replacement foils like I mentioned can be had from Argos or Boots in the UK.

I like electrics because as I explained I have the skin ( oily ) and growth pattern ( lots / majority thicker sparse sideways hairs a part from my goatee area ) to suit them but I definitely understand why most don't like them they just don't have the skin or follicle growth pattern to suit them, If I had a drier skin type and had dense stubble of thinner follicles that grow straight down and are flatter I would not use an electric you would end up getting irritation trying to pick up the hairs.

I know my replies are very repetitive just glad I figured out that I am an outlier in terms of my skin and follicle pattern, I used to dislike shaving a lot and I could not figure out why it did not work for me without irritation, acne, ingrown hairs etc it was not until I observed lots of wet shaving videos on Youtube and realised none of them had a growth pattern or skin like mine. I guess I just wanted to make a post in case the small amount of guys similar to me that dislike shaving might do a bit of research and find out they suit electric better, I also wanted to make a post to show guys like me exist for the people who say electrics are bad / trash but don't think about skin type, growth pattern, follicle type, density etc and that not everybody is the same.

I probably will not use this forum much just wanted to post and say my bit etc, thanks for making me feel welcome, this forum is a great resource for people who can use DE razors or even to see the odd thread about modern shaving systems.

thanks.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think the the Braun wet & dry 3 series is probably the best value electric on sale and the replacement foils like I mentioned can be had from Argos or Boots in the UK.

I like electrics because as I explained I have the skin ( oily ) and growth pattern ( lots / majority thicker sparse sideways hairs a part from my goatee area ) to suit them but I definitely understand why most don't like them they just don't have the skin or follicle growth pattern to suit them, If I had a drier skin type and had dense stubble of thinner follicles that grow straight down and are flatter I would not use an electric you would end up getting irritation trying to pick up the hairs.

I know my replies are very repetitive just glad I figured out that I am an outlier in terms of my skin and follicle pattern, I used to dislike shaving a lot and I could not figure out why it did not work for me without irritation, acne, ingrown hairs etc it was not until I observed lots of wet shaving videos on Youtube and realised none of them had a growth pattern or skin like mine. I guess I just wanted to make a post in case the small amount of guys similar to me that dislike shaving might do a bit of research and find out they suit electric better, I also wanted to make a post to show guys like me exist for the people who say electrics are bad / trash but don't think about skin type, growth pattern, follicle type, density etc and that not everybody is the same.

I probably will not use this forum much just wanted to post and say my bit etc, thanks for making me feel welcome, this forum is a great resource for people who can use DE razors or even to see the odd thread about modern shaving systems.

thanks.
Dear sir,
i don't want to feel unrespectful but IMHO you just have some technique issue. If you study your beard growth, use almost no pressure and do 3 passes with a DE or a cart you can't go wrong. You don't need any electrics.

I am an old guy and I started shaving with a DE razor but when I was in the service I picked up an electric razor and that is what I've used mostly for many years. Then about 8 years ago I stumbled across B&B and got hooked on traditional wet shaving. I use to do it once in awhile but now that's all I do.
This may sound crazy but I an thinking about going back to the electric razor. The reason is not what you would think. Since I started using these high quality soaps my bathroom sink keeps clogging up rather quickly. I ran a snake thru the drain pipe a good 6 - 10 feet just six months ago. Well my drain I noticed today is already draining slow. I don't know why but it seems to clog up rather quickly.
Because of this I am thinking of going back to an electric razor.
It's the glycerin combining with all the hair and other stuff that goes down the drain. I have the same problem and have to clear my vanity sink pipes about every other month when they start to run slow.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Dear sir,
i don't want to feel unrespectful but IMHO you just have some technique issue. If you study your beard growth, use almost no pressure and do 3 passes with a DE or a cart you can't go wrong. You don't need any electrics.

Did you read what I wrote? I literally wrote paragraphs about my skin, growth pattern ( horizontal ) and why blade razors don't suit me as much as other people, I can do 1 pass with an electric against the grain and shave in less than 4 minutes either wet, dry or with a pre-shave lotion or oil. I have already been down the blade razor route. I use a DE for sideburns and my goatee area if need be.

How do you know what I need? I am just guessing here but do you have
  • Hair that grows straight down and not horizontal
  • Dry to "normal" skin type
  • Dense stubble
  • Non thick follicles
If you answered yes then that is why you don't suit an electric.

I should of made my replies and thread starter more concise etc but there is no edit or delete option as far as I can see so...

It's the glycerin combining with all the hair and other stuff that goes down the drain. I have the same problem and have to clear my vanity sink pipes about every other month when they start to run slow.

Wow! You're worst than me. It makes me mad that it is such a problem. I like using the good soaps. In fact the last 6 months I've only used soaps that contain SLS which is suppose to keep the soap scum running thru your pipes. But I am about to give up and go back to the canned soap which really hate to do.

Did you read what I wrote? I literally wrote paragraphs about my skin, growth pattern ( horizontal ) and why blade razors don't suit me as much as other people, I can do 1 pass with an electric against the grain and shave in less than 4 minutes either wet, dry or with a pre-shave lotion or oil. I have already been down the blade razor route. I use a DE for sideburns and my goatee area if need be.

How do you know what I need? I am just guessing here but do you have
  • Hair that grows straight down and not horizontal
  • Dry to "normal" skin type
  • Dense stubble
  • Non thick follicles
If you answered yes then that is why you don't suit an electric.

I should of made my replies and thread starter more concise etc but there is no edit or delete option as far as I can see so...
Sir,
at the base of my neck hair change direction and grows east to west at left side, and west to east at right side. My skin is not particularly dry or olily, just normal. On my cheeks my beard is growing in a very erratic way but i assure you, with the right technique i've always been able to get a good-long lasting BBS without ingrowns or redness. So, yes i repeat: if you have problems with a blade the culprit is you, not the razor

Sir,
at the base of my neck hair change direction and grows east to west at left side, and west to east at right side. My skin is not particularly dry or olily, just normal. On my cheeks my beard is growing in a very erratic way but i assure you, with the right technique i've always been able to get a good-long lasting BBS without ingrowns or redness. So, yes i repeat: if you have problems with a blade the culprit is you, not the razor

you're passionate about wet razor shaving so you're in the right forum, but a couple of things
  • I do not believe you have beard growth like mine, you could always post a picture with your username showing your stubble growth and then I might think about giving blade razors another go
  • I am getting good shaves from my electric there is not a lot of incentive for me to change, it would mean buying another razor ( cart ) as I find it difficult to do a 3 pass shave with a DE.

you can easily shave with whatever blade razor without any issue. No pressure, control, done. Easy peasy. If you have troubles doing that the culprit is you not the razor. The problem is... people have been spoiled in thinking they can shave on automatic gear and the razor has to do the job itself. It doesn't work this way, the operator has to THINK about how to use his tools.

you're passionate about wet razor shaving so you're in the right forum, but a couple of things
  • I do not believe you have beard growth like mine, you could always post a picture with your username showing your stubble growth and then I might think about giving blade razors another go
This is my today shave with a 10 days old fusion proglide cart. As i told you before, beard growing in different directions under the neck. Thre passes, omega brush plus TOBS soap. As you can see, perfect BBS no irritation.

Attachments

• rasatura fusion.jpg
    rasatura fusion.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I can not see the direction of your stubble, I meant grow out your stubble so I can see, but judging by that picture it looks like your skin and hair type are different to mine. Why do you use a cart instead of a DE if you don't mind me asking?, for me to do a 3 pass shave with a DE would take a while. There are a lot of people on this forum who don't think cartridge razors are any good and that they are inferior yet for you they work goes to show that depending on your skin & hair type different products and technique will work.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My oldest son is autistic. I foolishly tried to teach him to shave with a DE. After a few nasty cuts, I decided that wasn't going to work for him, so gave in and got him a cartridge razor. Well, that didn't work so well either. He consistently got nicks and cuts and a terrible shave to boot. I had to swallow my pride and turn to the Dark Side; I got him an electric. Frankly, its been great. He loves it. Not only is it easier to use, I think he finds the vibration soothing. He never cuts himself anymore, and his shaves are awesome. He looks the best he's looked in years. This hardcore wetshaver tips his hat to the e-razor. :cowboy:

I can not see the direction of your stubble, I meant grow out your stubble so I can see, but judging by that picture it looks like your skin and hair type are different to mine. Why do you use a cart instead of a DE if you don't mind me asking?, for me to do a 3 pass shave with a DE would take a while. There are a lot of people on this forum who don't think cartridge razors are any good and that they are inferior yet for you they work goes to show that depending on your skin & hair type different products and technique will work.
i am able to save with a DE. I have used an EJ89 and even if i could get an almost BBS without irritation i simply didn't like it. Because i can routinely get BBS shaves with my carts in half the time and without having to think about angles etc. I'm a pragmatic person, i want to have the best possible result in the minumum amount of time. It's not a hobby for me. With carts, i can have it all. With electrics, unfortunately not. When i find an electric that can give me a BBS in 4 minutes i will buy it in a heartbeat. But i still haven't found it.

Top Bottom