What's new

Electric smoker and creosote buildup question

I have had the main smoker for a couple of years now and really like it except fo the fact that you had to keep feeding it wood chips in small quantities. About 6 months ago got my hands on the add on slow smoke box, which it nice because I can smoke at a lower temp and it holds enough chips to last for 5 plus hours.
I have been having a problem with creosote buildup in smoke box to the point the it is oozing out the lid. I understand how creosote forms, air flow, heat and moister. I live in southern Louisiana and we have high humidity. I store my wood chips in the car port.
I know that if you burn wet or unseasoned (that sounds weird) in a fireplace or wood stove you have a greater chance of creosote build up. Is it possible that my wood chips have a high moister content?
I am also going to experiment to get more draw, maybe leave the ash drawer on the smoker open a little to get air to flow thru more?
I have to do some experimenting to do but if anyone has insight that would be helpful.
Thanks

DE3775A1-DBFE-4E3A-BD68-41F76838B8DD_1_105_c.jpeg

Soooo..... I don't want to be that guy but..... I will be... 😁😁😁

The word creosote should never be associated with smoking/barbecue. Those smoke boxes and canisters may give off a lot of smoke but it ain't good smoke and you'll be doing yourself a favor by tossing those in the trash bin.

The smoke you are getting is most likely the grey plume, acrid, bad flavor variety. You want the clean, steady, blue smoke. Don't confuse more smoke with good smoke. With good barbecue, the smoke flavor is more subtle but pleasant.

That all said... how to get good smoke with an electric smoker. Well it's sort of difficult because the conflicting requirement in barbecue is clean smoke from good wood burning at hot temperatures but the cooker needs to be at a low temperature ~250*F. I think your best option is to keep feeding the smoker good, dry, seasoned wood chips in small quantities.

Since you live in Southern Louisiana, sub freezing temps aren't really a concern for most of the year. Instead of messing with smoke boxes, tubes, etc... I'd look for a used Weber Kettle (can be had for under $50 in most places) and start experimenting with coals/wood chunks. it's remarkably easy to hold temps once you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom