What's new

Electric shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will any aftershave do for electric shaving? Can old spice or any other brand of aftershave be used after anyone has finished using an electric shaver to soothe irritated skin? What kind of aftershaves are not only non greasy but after several hours of applying on the face will simply evaporate as far as scent, smooth feeling, leave no film behind, ect...

Will any aftershave do for electric shaving? Can old spice or any other brand of aftershave be used after anyone has finished using an electric shaver to soothe irritated skin? What kind of aftershaves are not only non greasy but after several hours of applying on the face will simply evaporate as far as scent, smooth feeling, leave no film behind, ect...
I suspect the answer would depend partially on whether you'll be shaving wet or dry.
On the rare occasions when I use a foil shaver (Panasonic ES-LL21), I have to use a gel to get both a close enough and comfortable enough shave.
If I use the Philips One Blade, it's either a gel or a proper shaving soap. It's gentler on the skin than the foil shaver.
I generally don't feel the need to use anything a shave, but the Phoenix and Beau's Albion (splash or lotion) is what I like to use occasionally. The scent doesn't linger on for long, maybe 20-30 minutes, but it feels pleasant while it lasts.

I suspect the answer would depend partially on whether you'll be shaving wet or dry.
On the rare occasions when I use a foil shaver (Panasonic ES-LL21), I have to use a gel to get both a close enough and comfortable enough shave.
If I use the Philips One Blade, it's either a gel or a proper shaving soap. It's gentler on the skin than the foil shaver.
I generally don't feel the need to use anything a shave, but the Phoenix and Beau's Albion (splash or lotion) is what I like to use occasionally. The scent doesn't linger on for long, maybe 20-30 minutes, but it feels pleasant while it lasts.
Wanna shave dry. If i shave wet, no irritation you mean?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've never done a wet electric shave. I know they make shavers for both wet and dry.
Still, sounds strange to me.

I'd use any of my normal splashes if I'd irritated my skin.

Many men don't use a pre shave or aftershave with electrics. @Scaramouche uses a brush and cream with his electric. I use a pre shave, then rinse the face when done. Usually an aftershave splash after, occasionally a lotion, and sometimes nothing after.

I occasionally use a pre-shave with an electric like Freelette, Williams or Aramis (never dry), but always use WH and aftershave. There's no technical difference in cutting hair whether with a faster moving electric blade, a slower moving DE or an even slower straight, but depending on technique, pressure, skin differences and a host of other variables, facial irritation can vary and an aftershave always improves it (but sometimes isn't absolutely necessary, depending). An alcohol AS is more drying, a lotion is more hydrating, and the aloe/witch hazel aftershaves can probably be considered "in-between." I use what I need, depending on the shave.

Reactions: ctr

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

For the purpose of science, I recently did a test, to answer that very question!

I shaved with my Panasonic Arc4 Foil Shaver
proxy.php

It took forever to shave my whiskers off, to get anywhere near to achieving a BBS shave. The shave wasn't very pleasant, because as expected, it left me with some irritation. In order to sooth and heal my face, I used Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave for the first time.

proxy.php

Since I was applying it to dry skin, I did have to use a bit more then I would, if I my face was damp, like after a proper traditional wet shave routine. Having said that however, Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave, ended up living up to the marketing on the bottle. It did sooth my skin, but most importantly, it healed my skin as well.

Now keep in mind, this is a balm aftershave, not a splash. After an electric shave, IMHO, a balm aftershave is what you need, because of the level of damage that an electric shaver does to ones skin. Weather you notice it or not, electrics can be really brutal. Hope this helps.

For the purpose of science, I recently did a test, to answer that very question!

I shaved with my Panasonic Arc4 Foil Shaver
proxy.php

It took forever to shave my whiskers off, to get anywhere near to achieving a BBS shave. The shave wasn't very pleasant, because as expected, it left me with some irritation. In order to sooth and heal my face, I used Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave for the first time.

proxy.php

Since I was applying it to dry skin, I did have to use a bit more then I would, if I my face was damp, like after a proper traditional wet shave routine. Having said that however, Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave, ended up living up to the marketing on the bottle. It did sooth my skin, but most importantly, it healed my skin as well.

Now keep in mind, this is a balm aftershave, not a splash. After an electric shave, IMHO, a balm aftershave is what you need, because of the level of damage that an electric shaver does to ones skin. Weather you notice it or not, electrics can be really brutal. Hope this helps.

I could not disagree more. An electric does not damage skin. The foil or shield prevents contact with skin unless a person presses the shaver into the skin.

DE, carts, and straights exfoliate by removing dead skin cells. An electric is incapable of doing so.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Then this is a matter of perspective unfortunately. I see irritation and redness as damage to the skin, you see it otherwise. Again, its a matter of perspective. I was just trying to offer some helpful advice. Weather a person takes it, is up to them. For me however, I did not have a very fun shave, shaving dry, with my electric shaver, using no facial prep, and no shaving gel. I basically put my face and neck through the worst situation.

And because of that, when I tested out the Duke Cannon aftershave balm, I was truly amazed, how well it healed my skin. Irritation was gone, redness was gone, skin was soothed, I felt like my skin was healed. And at the end, I just felt better. So, like I said, it worked for me, it may not work for you. But irritation to skin is not what you want, but thats what electric shavers always do to me. And I know that I am not the only person on B&B, or in this world, whom electric shavers trash our faces.

I could not disagree more. An electric does not damage skin. The foil or shield prevents contact with skin unless a person presses the shaver into the skin.

DE, carts, and straights exfoliate by removing dead skin cells. An electric is incapable of doing so.
You seem to be assuming unblemished skin and a foil or rotary shaver blade with certain characteristics.
Some foil shavers have fairly large openings - I had a Panasonic slice the top of a little pimple.
My old Braun had a foil thick enough that I had to press it down a bit to get a reasonably close shave, but as the blades dulled, it struggled to remove hair more and more but because I had to use it longer and longer, the foil would end up irritating the skin. Which is why I ditched it eventually.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You seem to be assuming unblemished skin and a foil or rotary shaver blade with certain characteristics.
Some foil shavers have fairly large openings - I had a Panasonic slice the top of a little pimple.
My old Braun had a foil thick enough that I had to press it down a bit to get a reasonably close shave, but as the blades dulled, it struggled to remove hair more and more but because I had to use it longer and longer, the foil would end up irritating the skin. Which is why I ditched it eventually.

That is exactly right! And I am also glad that you brought up a dull blade situation, because I am strongly suspecting that to be a part of my issue as well. I haven't used that electric shaver head for a full 1-year yet, but I did put many months of use on it, and I have course thick whiskers, which tend to dull blades far quicker, then those who have easy to cut fine soft whiskers. I do have one replacement head that I had purchased same day I bought the shaver, at the ready.

But at that time, I hadn't discovered traditional wet shaving yet. When I first came to this site, I was still using the electric shaver. But once I got converted over to DE, I haven't looked back. But it was fun to do a test for science. But, if my head on my shaver is a bit on the dull side, it would most certainly skew my results. But then again, how sharp are these electric shaver foil razor heads when their brand new anyways? Cause I really do wonder that as well.

Dull blades and bad technique are not the fault of the tool. Irritation would occur equally if not more so using a dull DE blade and repeatedly buffing the same area.

I suspect some of the differences observed are indeed related to the tool(s) as well as the technique. An electric razor does require some adaptation - to skin and technique. But it does need sharp blades to cleanly cut hair well, and a dull electric blade is not as readily apparent as a dull DE blade. And some faces are more tolerant of neglect. Continuously scrubbing with a dull electric will indeed irritate most faces - heat (from friction), pressure and the action of the blades themselves, which if dull equate to the tugging you feel with a conventional blade, except an electric motor presses on and doesn't vary its speed or pressure as you would with a blade if you felt resistance. Just a theory, but I suspect a bare blade is much easier to use and adapt to than an electric razor - most DE/cart razors just require that you contact your skin and move the blade against it, and the sharp blade does the work - and most shavers will notice if the blade isn't sharp enough. Blade shavers get into trouble for the same reason electric users do - too much time over a particular area, too much pressure and too much speed, in addition to insufficient prep. Wyatt Earp is famously quoted as saying "Take your time in a hurry in a gunfight." We could all learn.... :biggrin1:

Dull blades and bad technique are not the fault of the tool. Irritation would occur equally if not more so using a dull DE blade and repeatedly buffing the same area.
I haven't suggested it being the fault of the tool, just that it's possible to do some skin damage even with an electric shaver.

I suspect some of the differences observed are indeed related to the tool(s) as well as the technique. An electric razor does require some adaptation - to skin and technique. But it does need sharp blades to cleanly cut hair well, and a dull electric blade is not as readily apparent as a dull DE blade. And some faces are more tolerant of neglect. Continuously scrubbing with a dull electric will indeed irritate most faces - heat (from friction), pressure and the action of the blades themselves, which if dull equate to the tugging you feel with a conventional blade, except an electric motor presses on and doesn't vary its speed or pressure as you would with a blade if you felt resistance. Just a theory, but I suspect a bare blade is much easier to use and adapt to than an electric razor - most DE/cart razors just require that you contact your skin and move the blade against it, and the sharp blade does the work - and most shavers will notice if the blade isn't sharp enough. Blade shavers get into trouble for the same reason electric users do - too much time over a particular area, too much pressure and too much speed, in addition to insufficient prep. Wyatt Earp is famously quoted as saying "Take your time in a hurry in a gunfight." We could all learn.... :biggrin1:
I agree, but there's something I reckon is worth pointing out - some of the more recent shavers (I can't remember whether they are Panasonic or Braun) claim to have variable, adaptive blade movement speed, where they're supposed to speed up when the going gets tough.

I started with electric in the early 60s (hated it), switched to injector in college, then carts from the 70s for 35 years until switching to DE. For many years, I splashed on Sea Breeze before, or in place of, an aftershave to sooth my skin. Since switching to DE, I splash on witch hazel and let it dry before applying aftershave. If it's later in the day, witch hazel is my aftershave.

I shaved for decades with an electric shaver. If it irritates your skin, something is wrong. Try a different shaver, or different method. In any case, if you want to try an after shave, rather than go for an alcohol based one, try out a cream aftershave, pick any brand and give it a try to see if it soothes your skin. The one I use has aloe in it. It's a cream but it is not greasy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Norelco and Braun electrics are dirty, harboring face germs that give you zits. In my opinion and experience.

I'd recommend an alcohol-based antiseptic kinda splash, IMO. Or using a blade razor and clean soap! :001_tongu

AA

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Will any aftershave do for electric shaving?
Yes.
Can old spice or any other brand of aftershave be used after anyone has finished using an electric shaver to soothe irritated skin?
Yes.
What kind of aftershaves are not only non greasy but after several hours of applying on the face will simply evaporate as far as scent, smooth feeling, leave no film behind, ect...
Any alcohol splash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom