What's new

Electric Shaver Recommendation

Hey guy,

First of all I am a wet shaver with DE. However, for travel/last minute activities/laziness I am looking into an electric razor. I have a beard so I need one for my neck, but it needs to have a trimmer for my mustache. Another reason it needs a trimmer is because I am a scuba diver and when traveling I need to be able to trim the hair right under my nose for mask sealing.

I am stuck between two shavers: the Braun series 3 and the Gamma+ Absolute Zero. I like the size of the gamma, but I know the Braun name and the reviews look good. On the other hand the reviews are a bit lower for Gamma because, I think, it’s because it’s a barber professional grade.

Any advice? Thanks!

P.S. I also really like the idea of the Braun M-90…seems perfect for my needs, but I hear the cutting power is pretty bad.

Braun Series 3 is tough to beat in my opinion, especially the ProSkin models. Not all versions include the pop-up trimmer, so if buying online make sure the one you choose does include it. And Braun replacement cutting heads are very easy to source when that time comes.

Edit: I am dumb, missed that you need a pop up trimmer. I carry tiny scissors.

This is the best seller at AB, I like and use Andis professional tools

There are several other good choices on there including two from Stylecraft

For a quick, light shave, any of the mentioned shavers will do. Different form factor (and heads) for the Braun Series 3 and the Gamma though - and none of the shavers in this class are really "professional" grade. The Gamma is the traditional "vibrating brick," a la the older Remingtons, Andis and Wahl (7339) with staggered dual foils. What they are missing is the central flat cutter that many modern foils share (including the Braun), that do a better job of picking up longer or flat-lying hairs, but their effectiveness very much depends on your face and beard, and how you shave. The Braun Series 3 and similar shavers are the newer examples of a longer and more ergonomic handle, with the more common "mixed cutter" heads (flat and foil), but they are generally larger and occupy more luggage space. And different models may or may not have a trimmer, so best to check. I wouldn't recommend the M-90 (although it's probably the most popular and among the best-selling travel shavers, mainly due to price and weight), just for the fact as you mention that it uses disposable batteries, has a fairly weak motor, has a single foil and the trimmer is pretty flimsy and ineffective. On the other hand, it's the most compact of the bunch, doesn't need a charger, and if you only use it every few months for traveling and just want a shave that's better than not shaving at all, it fits the bill. For semi-regular use, or a cleaner and more comfortable shave, either the Braun Series 3 or the Gamma are fine. If you're new to electric shaving, as an aside, if you don't shave regularly with an electric you won't get the best, closest or most comfortable shave with an electric compared to just about any blade, but what you will get, most of the time, is an "acceptable" shave. Nature of the beast.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'll add that I tried repeatedly to find a buzzer for the same reason - travel. I tried the Braun & sent it back, nowhere even close to a socially acceptable shave . I tried the Panny, it was worse. For diving I'd just use a DE, save your money for a cocktail as opposed to an electric

Hey guy,

First of all I am a wet shaver with DE. However, for travel/last minute activities/laziness I am looking into an electric razor. I have a beard so I need one for my neck, but it needs to have a trimmer for my mustache. Another reason it needs a trimmer is because I am a scuba diver and when traveling I need to be able to trim the hair right under my nose for mask sealing.

I am stuck between two shavers: the Braun series 3 and the Gamma+ Absolute Zero. I like the size of the gamma, but I know the Braun name and the reviews look good. On the other hand the reviews are a bit lower for Gamma because, I think, it’s because it’s a barber professional grade.

Any advice? Thanks!

I think you can’t go wrong with the Braun, I have 4 brauns including the m- 90, 3 norelcos and a Remington Heritage series for the old school retro effect. They all give me a very good shave including the m-90, and like others have stated they are not as close as an open blade. Fwiw if I shave at 5 or 6 am and going out at night I will shave again around 3 or 4 pm. I love electric shavers for the ease and convenience but that’s just my personal opinion, good luck.

I have Braun 7 (older design, not the last year‘s) and it’s by far the best shave quality I can get from an electric. I prefer the feel of a rotary shaver (Philips style) but I am using Braun whenever I don’t feel like wet shaving because it is the only one that can give me BBS with some work (although it doesn’t last as long as the one I’d get with a proper shave) and DFS with little work. It’s a really great shaver as far as electrics go.

I got a Panasonic ES-RF41 during black friday
I love wet shaving, but in my teens i used an electric to good effect, and recently I noticed I was getting nicks and cuts which are not ideal as I am on anti platelet medication, the last nick with my Yaqi Final cut( I should never take that razor above setting 3 or more than 2 passes, I learned the hard way and it took a week to calm down, and we have all been there when the hair grows out over a nick, can be quite painful and irritating.

So I took the plunge, it may be sacrilage around these forums to espuse an electric, but I started off with plain old gillette gel and have been amazed at the results.
With a light touch and minimal to no prep , I have been getting BBS, yes some spots are missed but I have had 10 shaves so far , and in all honesty only 1 ( the first ) has been sub par, rest have been great.

I see no reason why I cant continue with both types of shaving, the electric is great for cold mornings where you are rushed for time, or a quick touch up before a zoom meeting, or a missed spot on an otherwise excellent BBS

My next step will be to use my boar brushes and synthetics and make lathers for my electric, I already use the same post shave routine for electric as I do with wet shaves and the post shave sensation is great, and thats with the commerical Gilette gel. so Now I cant wait to try it with my proraso etc

As always YMMV but I am glad I pulled the trigger on this razor .

I got a Panasonic ES-RF41 during black friday
I love wet shaving, but in my teens i used an electric to good effect, and recently I noticed I was getting nicks and cuts which are not ideal as I am on anti platelet medication, the last nick with my Yaqi Final cut( I should never take that razor above setting 3 or more than 2 passes, I learned the hard way and it took a week to calm down, and we have all been there when the hair grows out over a nick, can be quite painful and irritating.

So I took the plunge, it may be sacrilage around these forums to espuse an electric, but I started off with plain old gillette gel and have been amazed at the results.
With a light touch and minimal to no prep , I have been getting BBS, yes some spots are missed but I have had 10 shaves so far , and in all honesty only 1 ( the first ) has been sub par, rest have been great.

I see no reason why I cant continue with both types of shaving, the electric is great for cold mornings where you are rushed for time, or a quick touch up before a zoom meeting, or a missed spot on an otherwise excellent BBS

My next step will be to use my boar brushes and synthetics and make lathers for my electric, I already use the same post shave routine for electric as I do with wet shaves and the post shave sensation is great, and thats with the commerical Gilette gel. so Now I cant wait to try it with my proraso etc

As always YMMV but I am glad I pulled the trigger on this razor .
I love changing shave methods, carts, de, straights and electrics keeps me into the hobby part of shaving

I use the same software and prep however I shave (pre-shave, brush and scuttle) - DE, cart or electric - and get the same, usually excellent, results. A wet shave is a wet shave, and most electrics now are wet/dry razors. Even with a blade shave, I generally finish with a quick electric touch-up, and I rotate between rotary and foil razors.

My Braun series 7 wet shaver is at least 10 years old and still works and looks like new. It will hold a charge for a weeks worth of shaves. I rinse it, blow the moisture out of the cutter and dry it every time. I lube the cutter with mineral oil. Takes a few seconds. A new blade cartridge is only $35 every few years. Electric shave, etc works great dry, but if you take a high end wet shave Braun into the shower (or shave over sink) with a tube of Cremo you can get a darned near bbs. Yes, it takes a little time to buff your face that smooth with an electric, but that’s probably offset by not making lather, cleaning up bowls, razors, etc. i Keep my face slick and drag my index finger over my face to feel any remaining stable as I shave. I primarily used a Mach 3 for decades, with the Braun used for first pass and trimming neck, etc. when I had not shaved for a while. It holds a charge well enough to last several shaves so it’s great for traveling light. Learning wet shaving is fun, and I’ll never go back to cartridges except as a travel razor, but I still use the Braun a couple-few times a month. It’s really nice to have if you have had a rough shave and need a close “recovery shave” too. Yes, the TOTL Braun wet shavers are expensive, but if used correctly they are a very good investment As they shave very well and last. I havent tried any mid tier electric razors (which IMO were horrible back then) in a decade since receiving my Braun as a gift, and I’m sure tech has come a long way, but I wouldn’t hesitate to invest in another TOTL Braun again when and if mine ever dies.

Top Bottom