What's new

Electric Shaver Lubricant Alternative Needed

I need some advice. I've recently had to switch from a razor to electric shaver
due to skin sensitivity. I'm now using a Remington duel micro foil type.
I'd like to maintain and extend the life of blades & foils with lubrication,
but I will need something different from typical spray lubes like Shaver Saver etc.
I am acutely sensitive to odors of most petroleum and all fragrance products.
Before I experiment, I'd like to hear from more experienced people using electrics.
One idea I've thought of is this: I can tolerate clear food grade light mineral oil.
I wondered if I (lightly) swabbed the inside of the foils with this oil, would this
do the trick? Would this be harmful by clogging up the blades with oily hairs?
I welcome your ideas and experience for this matter.

You might try Remington gun oil. It is lightweight mineral oil and might suit your needs. Singer sewing machine oil would be similar.

An oil is simply going to clog the blades I’m afraid. You want to avoid things that could cause whiskers to stick and become gummy.

Have you considered the Braun Series 7 or 9? If you get the right one, they come with a cleaning dock and solution that is a mix of alcohol for sterilization as well as a light oil that keeps it all lubricated. But without the problems listed above. I used one for years.

You might try Remington gun oil. It is lightweight mineral oil and might suit your needs. Singer sewing machine oil would be similar.
Thanks, I do have both of those. I just wonder about clogging up
under the micro foils with sticky gummed up hairs. Do you lubricate
your shaver, or just let it wear out & get new blades/foils when they
become dull?

I think your situation with fragrance sensitivity is going to limit your options. I have a Panasonic with a cleaning station. I cannot speak to the Braun but the cleaning solution for the Panasonic is fragranced and the third party Shaver Shebang solution I use is HEAVILY fragranced although the maker claims it has all natural (and I believe no petroleum) ingredients. As the prior poster said, this would be a good solution to your problem that would provide a light lubrication during each cleaning but it may have a fragrance you can't tolerate. It is much lighter after dry down, but you can still smell it.

I also have a Remington like you do, which I like much more than the Panasonic. Mine is washable with water and liquid hand soap (F5-5800). If yours is washable give the mineral oil a shot and if it proves to gunk it up too much just wash and dry the oil residue off. I personally would use a couple of drops of Andis Clipper Oil which is odorless, but it is petroleum-based so I don't know if it would be tolerable to you. From my personal experience, I don't think you will extend the lives of your foil and cutters materially by keeping it oiled although the light lubrication I get from using Andis Cool Care on my Remington does provide a more comfortable shave I believe

An oil is simply going to clog the blades I’m afraid. You want to avoid things that could cause whiskers to stick and become gummy.
This is one of my concerns, along with finding a product that's easy on my
recently sensitive skin - should a lubricant be needed at all.
The shaver I bought is a "new old stock" Remington DF 30, and the business end
uses the same parts as the current Heritage model.

This is one of my concerns, along with finding a product that's easy on my
recently sensitive skin - should a lubricant be needed at all.
The shaver I bought is a "new old stock" Remington DF 30, and the business end
uses the same parts as the current Heritage model.
I think your situation with fragrance sensitivity is going to limit your options. I have a Panasonic with a cleaning station. I cannot speak to the Braun but the cleaning solution for the Panasonic is fragranced and the third party Shaver Shebang solution I use is HEAVILY fragranced although the maker claims it has all natural (and I believe no petroleum) ingredients. As the prior poster said, this would be a good solution to your problem that would provide a light lubrication during each cleaning but it may have a fragrance you can't tolerate. It is much lighter after dry down, but you can still smell it.

I also have a Remington like you do, which I like much more than the Panasonic. Mine is washable with water and liquid hand soap (F5-5800). If yours is washable give the mineral oil a shot and if it proves to gunk it up too much just wash and dry the oil residue off. I personally would use a couple of drops of Andis Clipper Oil which is odorless, but it is petroleum-based so I don't know if it would be tolerable to you. From my personal experience, I don't think you will extend the lives of your foil and cutters materially by keeping it oiled although the light lubrication I get from using Andis Cool Care on my Remington does provide a more comfortable shave I believe

Thanks, I do have both of those. I just wonder about clogging up
under the micro foils with sticky gummed up hairs. Do you lubricate
your shaver, or just let it wear out & get new blades/foils when they
become dull?

If you are concerned about gumming up the foil, you can always use a mixture of light mineral oil and 91% isopropyl alcohol. If you cannot find 91%, you can use 70%, but the higher concentration will be an advantage. You might start with 50/50 and then go from there. I think you will find that the oils from your face will contribute more to the gumming issue than the mineral oil.

I rarely use an electric shaver these days, but when I did, I generally soaked the head in isopropyl alcohol to remove any gunk that collected.

Thank you, you've well addressed my questions, everyone here.
I'm grateful for the help and insight. Fragrance is a bigger problem than many
can imagine. I will likely try a drop or two of clear odorless food grade mineral oil,
and if that causes clogs, I'll just go dry. When the blades wear out, they are still
available.
PS - I might be having a bit of "fat finger" trouble posting properly, bear with me.

If you are concerned about gumming up the foil, you can always use a mixture of light mineral oil and 91% isopropyl alcohol. If you cannot find 91%, you can use 70%, but the higher concentration will be an advantage. You might start with 50/50 and then go from there. I think you will find that the oils from your face will contribute more to the gumming issue than the mineral oil.

I rarely use an electric shaver these days, but when I did, I generally soaked the head in isopropyl alcohol to remove any gunk that collected.

Wish I could help but I have not used an electric since I was in college: they simply don’t work well for me.

Let us know if you find a strategy that helps (PLEASE), as it may help others!

You can use a very light food grade mineral oil, but you won't need any more than a very, very thin film, just wipe off any excess. You will need to clean the razor after you use it, anyway, so I can't see how build-up would be a real concern.

It's the same thing I do with my electric trimmer and clipper.

Wish I could help but I have not used an electric since I was in college: they simply don’t work well for me.

Let us know if you find a strategy that helps (PLEASE), as it may help others!

I surely will do that. Several good suggestions have been offered here.
I'll report back in a few weeks and share what worked best for me.

You can use a very light food grade mineral oil, but you won't need any more than a very, very thin film, just wipe off any excess. You will need to clean the razor after you use it, anyway, so I can't see how build-up would be a real concern.

It's the same thing I do with my electric trimmer and clipper.

Oh yeah, I meant a very light coating, and only on the inside of foil.
I also like the idea of thinning the oil with alcohol. This would be
applied lightly with a swab. We'll see how it goes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Anything thats wet will act like a magnet to cut stubble.

This is what I'd try.

b7dfd76f-54b7-4603-b901-52716072abd9_1.018a7ad685e353bdd8e38e29bdfef10b.jpeg

Goes on wet and thin and dries quickly. It doesnt gum up and nothing much seems to stick to it.

I need some advice. I've recently had to switch from a razor to electric shaver
due to skin sensitivity. I'm now using a Remington duel micro foil type.
I'd like to maintain and extend the life of blades & foils with lubrication,
but I will need something different from typical spray lubes like Shaver Saver etc.
I am acutely sensitive to odors of most petroleum and all fragrance products.
Before I experiment, I'd like to hear from more experienced people using electrics.
One idea I've thought of is this: I can tolerate clear food grade light mineral oil.
I wondered if I (lightly) swabbed the inside of the foils with this oil, would this
do the trick? Would this be harmful by clogging up the blades with oily hairs?
I welcome your ideas and experience for this matter.

Stick with non-toxic products. Non-toxic firearms dry lubes or something like this will work OK:

Last edited:

I will look into this. For now I have only charged up the battery
and today will be my first time using an electric. I'll start with dry
as a base line comparison.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I will look into this. For now I have only charged up the battery
and today will be my first time using an electric. I'll start with dry
as a base line comparison.

Dont use much pressure. Foil shavers gave me razor burn.

Dry and clean is best.

Top Bottom