What's new

Electric Shave Cleaning Fluid

I have used a Braun Series 5 electric shaver for years. I clean it with my own fluid formula:

1 liter of methylated spirits
1 teaspoon of favourite essential oil. I use lemongrass oil from Dusk
3 teaspoons of light machine oil. I use Singer sewing machine oil.

Shake well several times until all the oils dissolve.

Dip the running shaver in a couple of hundred mls of cleaning fluid a few times to clean out all the hairs and lubricate the cutter. I use a cleaned peanut butter container. Any wide mouthed bottle would do. I use the same fluid many times until it gets too dirty or evaporates too low.

Alternatively, I suppose you could replace the cleaning fluid in the recirculating Shaver cartridge.

FYI

I have used a Braun Series 5 electric shaver for years. I clean it with my own fluid formula:

1 liter of methylated spirits
1 teaspoon of favourite essential oil. I use lemongrass oil from Dusk
3 teaspoons of light machine oil. I use Singer sewing machine oil.

Shake well several times until all the oils dissolve.

Dip the running shaver in a couple of hundred mls of cleaning fluid a few times to clean out all the hairs and lubricate the cutter. I use a cleaned peanut butter container. Any wide mouthed bottle would do. I use the same fluid many times until it gets too dirty or evaporates too low.

Alternatively, I suppose you could replace the cleaning fluid in the recirculating Shaver cartridge.

FYI
Sounds very similar to Braun's concoction, which is mostly ethanol (methylated spirits = denatured alcohol to the US blokes :biggrin1:) or propanol, with some proprietary additives. It might indeed work in the "Clean & Renew" cartridges, but obviously no guarantee it wouldn't damage pumps or seals and would void any warranty (although Braun's 2 year shaver warranty doesn't cover their stations). That said, you'd get around 8 refills of a cartridge for the retail cost of one Clean & Renew cartridge (at $5-ish each, that's a savings of $35 every 8 months with daily use). Not bad, although there are cheaper commercial replacement options as well. And the plastic cleaning stations themselves are likely on a 3-4 year-ish life span anyway so very probably even if the mixture isn't ideal it wouldn't significantly impact the life of the stations in that period. Certainly worth experimenting!

***As an addendum, this is a published list of ingredients in the Clean & Renew solution - subject to change and additions by the manufacturer:

Alcohol Denatured
Propyl Alcohol
ISOTRIDECYL STEARATE
Aqua
Glycerin, ethoxylated
PARFUM
Limonene
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
C12-18-Alkyldimethyl(ethylbenzyl) ammonium chlorides
Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides
Didecyldimethylammonium chloride
Citral

The cleaning station sensors work on electrical conductivity (requiring water), so the alcohol solution should be something less than 100% - probably ideally 70-80%. And users should probably be aware of the possibility of damage to the razor finish by non-OEM solutions (although to be fair, Braun's mixture also caused paint damage in early razors).

Last edited:
Thanks Scaramouche. All I can say is that I have been using my simple cleaning fluid for about 4 years with no adverse effects. I dip the running shaver three times into about 1 cup of the fluid and the hair stubble comes out. It sinks to the bottom so the next dip is into the clear solution above. The methylated spirits (ethanol) evaporate leaving a film of oils that lubricate the cutter. Unfortunately there is no filter to remove the hair cuts but it doesn't seem to matter. Just replace with fresh fluid when too much accumulate.

Once every few weeks I just use a few drops of a household lubricant product called Biokleen dilute 50/50 with 90 percent rubbing alcohol. Stubble never sticks to the cartridge and I just tap or blow it out. Biokleen is also a completely nontoxic WD-40 alternative made from soy esters and a bit of citrus oil.

Once every few weeks I just use a few drops of a household lubricant product called Biokleen dilute 50/50 with 90 percent rubbing alcohol. Stubble never sticks to the cartridge and I just tap or blow it out. Biokleen is also a completely nontoxic WD-40 alternative made from soy esters and a bit of citrus oil.
Thanks for the info. Which particular Biokleen product do you use? Is it the all-purpose concentrate that you dilute with alcohol?

Thanks for the info. Which particular Biokleen product do you use? Is it the all-purpose concentrate that you dilute with alcohol?

I use the household lubricant:

It dries to a very thin film that doesn't attract dirt, which is one reason it works well as compared to oil. It's also a very good general household lubricant.

I use the household lubricant:

It dries to a very thin film that doesn't attract dirt, which is one reason it works well as compared to oil. It's also a very good general household lubricant.
Interesting! Your link says it is currently out of stock. Looks like it is an american product. I live in Australia so will try to find suppliers here, or something similar.

I just dip and brush components with rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit in UK) and rinse with cold water before any long term damaged caused by soaking for a length of time has had chance to damage finish etc..

Top Bottom