What's new

Electric Razor 1940s-1980s.

Hey y'all,

Picture this: you travel through time (anytime between the 1940s-1980s) and start polling random men about their shaving habits... how likely are they to say that they use an electric razor? As an addendum, please feel free to say a story or talk about any person you knew who used an electric razor before the turn of the millennium and if they liked it or not. Can't find much info online, so I'll turn to here.

The very first electric shaver patent was granted to John O'Rourke in 1898, actually for an electric-powered safety razor (don't ask), so "electrified" razors have been around considerably before the 1940s. Along conventional lines, Col Jacob Schick filed his first electric patent in 1930, but the marketing really hit its stride with the Schick Dry Shaver in 1940. Remington Rand produced their first electric, the Close Shaver in 1937, and Philips began marketing a rotary in 1939 (and bought up Schick's patents in 1981). Max Braun's company designed its first electric shaver in 1938, but WWII delayed actual production until 1951 with the S50. The race was on between these manufacturers (and some others who fell by the wayside) for the next few decades until now, to lure the masses away from the dangers (and inconvenience) of blade shaving - in market-speak. With some success. Even in the 1940s, many passenger rail cars and ocean liner suites were outfitted with outlets specifically to connect an electric razor. Marketing really took off in the late 1940s with battery-powered electrics. The result was that about 30 to 40 percent of the world's population today, statistically, shaves with an electric razor of some sort. The other 60 to 70-ish percent, of those who shave, use a disposable cartridge of some sort, statistically, with an almost negligible fraction subtracted from that "60/70-ish" by users of some other type of blade, the majority likely DE shavers. So in answer to the question posed, likely about 30 to 40 percent of men (and women) polled between 1940 until 1980 (or now), progressively increasing or hitting a stable plateau between those periods, would say they shave with an electric. Whether they liked it, or merely tolerated it, is speculative statistically speaking, but the fact that they used it is at least indicative that they favored it (an electric shaver) over other readily available methods.
proxy.php

The very first electric shaver patent was granted to John O'Rourke in 1898, actually for an electric-powered safety razor (don't ask), so "electrified" razors have been around considerably before the 1940s. Along conventional lines, Col Jacob Schick filed his first electric patent in 1930, but the marketing really hit its stride with the Schick Dry Shaver in 1940. Remington Rand produced their first electric, the Close Shaver in 1937, and Philips began marketing a rotary in 1939 (and bought up Schick's patents in 1981). Max Braun's company designed its first electric shaver in 1938, but WWII delayed actual production until 1951 with the S50. The race was on between these manufacturers (and some others who fell by the wayside) for the next few decades until now, to lure the masses away from the dangers (and inconvenience) of blade shaving - in market-speak. With some success. Even in the 1940s, many passenger rail cars and ocean liner suites were outfitted with outlets specifically to connect an electric razor. Marketing really took off in the late 1940s with battery-powered electrics. The result was that about 30 to 40 percent of the world's population today, statistically, shaves with an electric razor of some sort. The other 60 to 70-ish percent, of those who shave, use a disposable cartridge of some sort, statistically, with an almost negligible fraction subtracted from that "60/70-ish" by users of some other type of blade, the majority likely DE shavers. So in answer to the question posed, likely about 30 to 40 percent of men (and women) polled between 1940 until 1980 (or now), progressively increasing or hitting a stable plateau between those periods, would say they shave with an electric. Whether they liked it, or merely tolerated it, is speculative statistically speaking, but the fact that they used it is at least indicative that they favored it (an electric shaver) over other readily available methods.
proxy.php

WOW! What a thorough answer!! Thank you! I didn't know that ocean liners and passenger cars had outlets for electric razor, that's actually fascinating.

WOW! What a thorough answer!! Thank you! I didn't know that ocean liners and passenger cars had outlets for electric razor, that's actually fascinating.

You're welcome! O'Rourke's patent, which is interesting if only because it plugged into a lamp socket, and you used it, presumably, with soap and water. Likely explains the low life expectancy of the period... :001_rolle

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used an electric shaver in the 80’s. I had a favorite uncle who used to sit at the table after breakfast with his newspaper, instant coffee and his electric shaver and do his thing every morning. Then when needed, he would go out the patio door and spread the shavings into the back yard. His father, my grandfather, also used an electric razor. Norelco men through and through. So when it became time for me to shave, it was a natural move for me to follow the path of men I respected. My dad used disposable bic razors back them. Single blade. Looked junky. Never wanted to go that route. I used a Norelco all through the mid to late 80’s, and up through the change of the millennium.

I used an electric shaver in the 80’s. I had a favorite uncle who used to sit at the table after breakfast with his newspaper, instant coffee and his electric shaver and do his thing every morning. Then when needed, he would go out the patio door and spread the shavings into the back yard. His father, my grandfather, also used an electric razor. Norelco men through and through. So when it became time for me to shave, it was a natural move for me to follow the path of men I respected. My dad used disposable bic razors back them. Single blade. Looked junky. Never wanted to go that route. I used a Norelco all through the mid to late 80’s, and up through the change of the millennium.

Amazing, thanks for sharing. Can't deny the convenience of a good ol' electric razor!

Adding to your history. After WWII Phillips shavers were imported into the United States under the name Norelco because the Phillips name was thought to be confused with Philco Electronics company because the names were to similar. Norelco, stood for North American Phillips Company. In 1974 Phillips bought out Philco but kept the Norelco name in North America.

Braun shavers were manufactured under license by the Ronson company until the 1980s.

“From 1952 the American company Ronson builds Braun shavers under license. Up to this time, this is the largest transatlantic business deal involving a West German producer of consumer articles since World War II.” From the 1980 Braun shavers were sold under the name Elton. “Braun AG, manufacturers of eltron shavers, make more foil shavers than anyone in the world, eltron shavers are warranted for three years (six months on foils and cutter blocks)”. These quotes came from Texas Monthly magazine 1980.

I have been shaving with Ronson shavers from 1972 to about 1985 when I bought a German made Braun shaver. Prior to those shavers I used a Norelco double headed shaver from 1963 until 1972.

As a Side story, I saw an old time actor years ago who said movie studio barbers would shave the male stars with a straight razor, then the barber would go over the stars face with an electric razor to get that very smooth matted look. I still love electric razors alternating between them and straights along with carts, de razors not so much anymore.

Adding to your history. After WWII Phillips shavers were imported into the United States under the name Norelco because the Phillips name was thought to be confused with Philco Electronics company because the names were to similar. Norelco, stood for North American Phillips Company. In 1974 Phillips bought out Philco but kept the Norelco name in North America.

Braun shavers were manufactured under license by the Ronson company until the 1980s.

“From 1952 the American company Ronson builds Braun shavers under license. Up to this time, this is the largest transatlantic business deal involving a West German producer of consumer articles since World War II.” From the 1980 Braun shavers were sold under the name Elton. “Braun AG, manufacturers of eltron shavers, make more foil shavers than anyone in the world, eltron shavers are warranted for three years (six months on foils and cutter blocks)”. These quotes came from Texas Monthly magazine 1980.

I have been shaving with Ronson shavers from 1972 to about 1985 when I bought a German made Braun shaver. Prior to those shavers I used a Norelco double headed shaver from 1963 until 1972.

You are an OG electric shaver then, glad to have you on the thread. All the men in my family have traditionally used blades, so naturally, I did too, and I satisfied myself with a sub-par shave. I've tried cartridges, double edged, etc, but blades were never good for my face especially when I had acne (I've been trying to start using blades again and treat myself to a routine, but frankly electric does a better job for my face at least). It wasn't until I picked up a Braun around 2 years ago that I have had a uniform-looking clean, smooth face. It was like a dream come true. I wonder if the Brauns you used back in the day inspired that same awe that I had with my first Braun!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
His father, my grandfather, also used an electric razor. Norelco men through and through. So when it became time for me to shave, it was a natural move for me to follow the path of men I respected.
My paternal grandfather went Straight --> SE --> Electric

I saw an old time actor years ago who said movie studio barbers would shave the male stars with a straight razor, then the barber would go over the stars face with an electric razor to get that very smooth matted look.
I can believe it. Electrics leave the nicest feeling stubble.

My paternal grandfather went Straight --> SE --> Electric

I can believe it. Electrics leave the nicest feeling stubble.

You know, I believe that the reason that people who are prone to ingrown hairs do so well with electric razors is because of this. The DE razors tend to leave sharp stubble that gets to be unbearable after a while while Electric stubble is so soft and smooth, Idk how to describe it. For example: If I wanted to grow a beard, there's no way I'd do it on DE stubble.

You are an OG electric shaver then, glad to have you on the thread. All the men in my family have traditionally used blades, so naturally, I did too, and I satisfied myself with a sub-par shave. I've tried cartridges, double edged, etc, but blades were never good for my face especially when I had acne (I've been trying to start using blades again and treat myself to a routine, but frankly electric does a better job for my face at least). It wasn't until I picked up a Braun around 2 years ago that I have had a uniform-looking clean, smooth face. It was like a dream come true. I wonder if the Brauns you used back in the day inspired that same awe that I had with my first Braun!

My current Braun shaver, 7893s, is a far cry from the one I bought in the early 1970s. In those days they had only one screen that extended over the entire head and one cutter that fit under the screen. There was no trimmer and no on/off switch. You unplugged it from the wall. The actual shave was very good but the newer ones shave closer, are able to handle flat hairs better.

Glad you found a shaver that works well for you. I don’t shave with blades and water because I cut myself frequently and it takes too much time as compared to using an electric shaver.

Top Bottom