What's new

Electric pre shave lotions

I used a an electric pre shave lotion shaving today - Blue Stratos Pre-Electric, 100 ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0014SEMQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Blue Stratos Pre-Electric, 100 ml I did quite like it.

I think I prefer using pre electric lotions is some ways - less clean up, wet shaving is not as practical for me as I don't have a mirror in front of the sink.

I think I also prefer the after the shave feel I did not use a balm afterwards either, I have not used a pre electric lotion in quite a while the last one I used was the boots freshwood https://www.boots.com/boots-electricpre-shave-freshwood-10093561

The blue stratos is double the cost but I think I prefer it from what I remember of the boots one although that one is better value.

Just wanted to ask people who use pre shave lotions what do you use and people in the UK if you use one what do you use?
so far I have used the boots and blue stratos I know superdrug also do a version these are more easily available in the UK other than that there is not a lot of choice when it comes to electric pre shaves, I do not really want to spend over £10, the freelette stuff in the UK is about £31 on amazon.
Not exactly a crowded market in the UK.

Williams 'Lectric has been around over 50 years and works great - there's a reason for its longevity. I do use Freelette, and it's my go-to travel - when we could travel - pre-shave (no AS required). Aramis Lab Series also works nice, but is priced like Freelette - bang-for-buck, Williams probably wins. I'm a wet electric shaver, so pre-shaves for me are usually limited to a quick touch-up for travel, but I never shave dry with an electric.

Williams 'Lectric has been around over 50 years and works great - there's a reason for its longevity. I do use Freelette, and it's my go-to travel - when we could travel - pre-shave (no AS required). Aramis Lab Series also works nice, but is priced like Freelette - bang-for-buck, Williams probably wins. I'm a wet electric shaver, so pre-shaves for me are usually limited to a quick touch-up for travel, but I never shave dry with an electric.
I am probably going to stick to the blue stratos which I do like.
I think williams Lectric is harder to get in the UK but can buy on ebay etc but with postage is probably not worth it, I am enjoying shaving with the blue stratos pre electric and will probably buy the speick pre electric at some point to compare. I will most likely shave dry but with a pre electric from now on my skin seems to prefer it and is more convenient in my case.

Bought a bottle of both the Boots and Super drug lotions yesterday. Together £5.18, the Boots one has yet to be used but smell ok. The Superdrug one is again ok and could be used as an aftershave there's a large amount of alcohol present. Shave wise the oily part did what it said it would. Shave was smooth and perfectly acceptable. I still prefer to wet electric shave but now have some pre shave lube for those days you just need to get a move on.

I used to prefer Lab Series (I'm US). For a few years before that I used Remington Face Saver which are similar format to this product: Blocmen Derma Pre Shave Powder Stick: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocmen-Derma-Shave-Powder-Stick/dp/B007XPCSSM/. They were fine but I ended up preferring Lab Series.
The Lab series is a bit too much for me in terms of cost - shavercheck did a review of pre electric products and preferred the speick pre shave lotion. I have heard that powder whilst they might work quite well dull the cutters over time.

Yes, I believe that about the powder. I really wish I'd known about Speick when I was using electric but alas, I did not.

Williams Lectric shave. It's about the only one left.

Afta pre-shave is a starch-based preshave that works well but I am not even sure if it hasn't been discontinued. These products aren't very popular in the US, which is too bad as some of them work very well. These types of products date from a past "golden age" of electric shavers from decades ago, now days blade cartridges and gadgety electric shavers that can be used wet seem to have dominated the market.

Afta is available in Walmart in US. It is also available online, both AMZ and _Bay.

It is very inexpensive, is a gel so very easy to apply and a little goes a long way. Dries in about 20 seconds so you can shave quickly.

It does make a remarkable difference in the shave. You can feel the whiskers (or hair in my case - head shaving) really stand up.

It’s <$2.50 a bottle, and it last a long time. The only negative for me is the scent is a bit strong and long lasting.

Be sure and the pre-shave (in the left in the pic) and not the aftershave on the right. I believe those that complain about Afta clogging their razors have mistakenly used the aftershave. The pre-shave dries/evaporates and there’s really nothing left that could clog.
image.jpg

I read somewhere in a forum about a homemade recipe - anyone have that?

I’ve also heard that hand sanitizer (with moisturizer in the formulation) works well. Anyone tried that?

Reactions: ctr
I have tried Afta, Spieck, Williams, and Lab so far. Afta was best in terms of performance but the scent too overpowering in the end. Williams was ok but nothing great. Spieck had a stinging sensation and left my face read. Guess the plant extract and I didn't get along.

Lab has been the current one that does an ok job. Haven't found anything better yet. Some shaves are now without any pre shave.

The best I have used by far is Grooming Department pre-shave. It wasn't designed for electric razors but it is really quite good. I have tried all the others mentioned available in the USA and GD is the best for me.

Top Bottom