What's new

El Original Corona (Claro Wrapper)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Enjoying a nice El Original Corona (Claro Wrapper) at the Friday Afternoon Cigar and Corresponding Society.

20200214_172311~2.jpg

Description from the Island Smoke Shop web site:

Key Largo's Own EL ORIGINAL!
Taste the blend rated by SMOKE Magazine as the best cigar made in the U.S., and the best maduro in the world! Each cigar is hand-crafted by our master rollers, using hand-selected tobaccos from The Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Ecuador and Peru This isn't just any cigar - we've created a taste you'd never think you'd find outside of Havana. I'll put it up against any Cuban cigar on the market.

Box of 25 is $130 ($5.20/cigar) - not expensive at all.

I buy cabinets of 50 ($220) and age them for at least 6 months.

Really quite a cigar, especially for the money.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

See, right here is why I like trying new cigars. Now I’m on islandsmokeshop.com (15% off Presidents’ Day sale btw) trying to decide between the El Original Sampler or a box of Santiago Cabanas. The forum is horrendously wonderful

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s interesting. I’m kinda looking for an inexpensive cigar. Something I won’t mind wasting if I can’t smoke it all, or can’t get the darn light right.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That’s interesting. I’m kinda looking for an inexpensive cigar. Something I won’t mind wasting if I can’t smoke it all, or can’t get the darn light right.

Tobaco Baez is a short fillwr cigar from My Father cigars. Have two boxes coming and at 47ish a box pretty cheap.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Me and Claro wrappers have never gotten along.

To me, it depends on the cigar - how the filler, the binder and the wrapper are balanced.

I used to prefer Maduro wrappers over Claro. Now I prefer Claro to Maduro.

Cigars, like shaving, high end audio and a variety of other pursuits, are very much "just my opinion and YMMV". :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To me, it depends on the cigar - how the filler, the binder and the wrapper are balanced.

I used to prefer Maduro wrappers over Claro. Now I prefer Claro to Maduro.

Cigars, like shaving, high end audio and a variety of other pursuits, are very much "just my opinion and YMMV". :)
True. I’m a Latakia hound, but some can’t stomach it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I think I don’t like Claros for the same reason I don’t like Perique- the pepperiness (just made that up). I love pepper and spicy stuff, but, for some reason, not in my tobacco. Give me Maduro wrappers and Latakia.

That’s an interesting take. I’ve always found claros to be slightly sweeter and more floral overall than the others. If I want a more spicy wrapper, I’m usually reaching for a sun grown.

As has been said, the wrapper/fill balance is the big trick, and that depends on the house style of the maker.

But depending on the time of day, accompanying beverage, and what meal it may be chasing, I do like em all.

Whatever the case, if you find something you like, hang on to it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That’s an interesting take. I’ve always found claros to be slightly sweeter and more floral overall than the others. If I want a more spicy wrapper, I’m usually reaching for a sun grown.

As has been said, the wrapper/fill balance is the big trick, and that depends on the house style of the maker.

But depending on the time of day, accompanying beverage, and what meal it may be chasing, I do like em all.

Whatever the case, if you find something you like, hang on to it.

Well said. :)

Top Bottom