What's new

EJ89DE or Rockwell 6 c?

I was shaving since march 2016 with Wilkinson plastic DE. Now I want to buy something better. At first I was sure that I'll buy EJ, the I was thinking about Fatip gentile, but now in competition entered Rockwell 6 c. What would you choose in my place?

Sent from my LG-D280 using Tapatalk

I have used both. I recommend the 6C (Gunmetal). Also, if an adjustable appeals to you, then I especially recommend the 6C over something like the Merkur Progress or a variant. The blade stability of the 6C is incredible.

Last edited:
You are comparing apples and pears. I would think the 6 plate variations on the Rockwell may be useful. Why not the Parker Variant if you want to compare adjustability?

+1! Any of these choices would be a substantial step up from what you are using IMO. All good choices!

EJ89 and Rockwell are my favorite razors I own. I would definitely choose the Rockwell - I've used it 95% of the time since I got it back in early May. The variable plates along with the overall weight make it a fantastic razor.

The EJ was my first razor. I still use it a good bit.
I tried the Rockwell on a tour recently. It's a fine tool...but I'd be content with just the 5 and 6 plates.

Glad I found this thread. I'm using the Edwin Jagger DE89L right now and with a feather blade it does a fantastic job. My beard is really coarse though so I'm looking for something a little more efficient and the Rockwell 6s or c has caught my eye. I'm leaning toward the stainless though as it's a $100 razor but I feel like it will last me forever. Not that the pot metal EJDE89 feels chincy by any means.

Glad I found this thread. I'm using the Edwin Jagger DE89L right now and with a feather blade it does a fantastic job. My beard is really coarse though so I'm looking for something a little more efficient and the Rockwell 6s or c has caught my eye. I'm leaning toward the stainless though as it's a $100 razor but I feel like it will last me forever. Not that the pot metal EJDE89 feels chincy by any means.
I really have no problem with razors that are out of zamak or any other inferior material as long as the performance is there. I do take good care of my tools and they seem to last forever. SS though has a different quality feel that I enjoy. SS razors because of the price they tend to be better finished than lesser material razors. The down side being they come with a hefty price.

apples and oranges. The advantage of Rockwell is the adjustable base plates. If low cost is important to you, several different brands have interchangeable heads and handles that you can get: Maggards, Razorock, Parker, Pearl, and EJ/Muhle. It's easy to put a Maggard's stainless steel handle on a EJ head and both would be very low cost and work great.

I use an EJ as my daily shaver and it's great for me. If I didn't have it then I would probably buy the Rockwell for the adjustable plates. I'm not sure how well Rockwell interchanges with other brands. On all of these types of razors the weak point is the screw on the top cap. It's easy and cheap to get replacement top caps for EJ and compatible brands I mentioned above. Not sure about Rockwell.

The EJ DE89 was one of my early razors. It is a good shaver, but the 6C just blows it out of the water in shave quality and comfort.

The 6C has about the perfect weight and balance. It is very smooth. I was impressed with it.

Top Bottom