What's new

EJ89 chrome fault?!

I got my chrome EJ89 yesterday. First shave today - WOW!!!!

AMAZING razor - truly it is.

The chrome finish is magnificint, and the shave one of my best ever.

For the price of 40 US $ only - everybody thats even remotly interested in shaving should get one...

However, on the inside of the head the chrome is scrathed, and there is even a place where the chromed is scratched all the way down to the metal....

Is the acceptable, or should I ask the vendor for a replacement?
Will the razor rust because of this?
View attachment 145800

View attachment 145801

View attachment 145802

View attachment 145803

I emailed the vendor the pics seen here, and he will send me a new one, no questions asked. :thumbup1:

That is the way it should be done; thumb up indeed!

On modern casted razor heads the outer plating is crucial; when it is damaged so that the base material (zamak) lies unprotected it will corrode fast and ugly due to the amount of zinc in it.

I recently bought one as well and had a similar problem. I'm getting ready to return it to the vendor.
I'm wondering if EJ is going through a bad period with their plating.

I recently bought one as well and had a similar problem. I'm getting ready to return it to the vendor.
I'm wondering if EJ is going through a bad period with their plating.

Maybe it is too popular and they have a hard time meeting demands.

Who was the vendor? My 89L came in today and I noticed similar markings on the underside, though they aren't as bad. Perhaps I should contact Amazon, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's endemic at least with the current batch. Mine was the same way but it too is now getting replaced.

Still... it's nothing a little clear nail polish won't shore up at least for the time being.

This is a fantastic razor!!!

Only problem is the misses got a hold of it and now it's hers....

Time to order a new one. :thumbup:

Noticed that the DE86 I bought last week have some marks too, but looks minor compared to yours.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I purchased mine off of amazon, and they are sending me a new on which should arrive today. They said if the flaws are still there, they'll just give me a 20% refund, which i think is fair. I don't think this is a problem that will affect the quality of my shaves so no big deal.

got my DE87 ivory handle today, and it's also flawed with scracthes on the underside, but mine actually has a gash/knick in the finish that is chipping/cracking. :confused1

time for a couple pics and i'll send them to my supplier/vendor and see what they say.

LINK to full sized pics: PIC 1, PIC 2, PIC 3

Last edited:
I received my new razor today, and it looks significantly better. There is still a *hint* of scratching, but only when you look at it from certain angles. I don't foresee it being a big deal in the future.

Doesn't this razor use the head from Muhle R89?

Is this problem found on Muhle razors too or does EJ finish/refinish the heads themselves creating this problems?

IMO. For a $50 razor I would expect the same type of finish one every part you eye sees. The plating inside the head should match the outside especially since the inside of the head retains a lot of moisture if the blade is left in. It does not cost the manufacturer any more to have the finish match the rest of the razor. Small scratches and dings tend to hold moisture and will make your razor look bad in no time because everyone tends to rub those areas harder to get moisture out and also slowly remove the finish.

Doesn't this razor use the head from Muhle R89?

Is this problem found on Muhle razors too or does EJ finish/refinish the heads themselves creating this problems?

I just recieved a mühle R107. The heads are identical, and the mühle head has the same scratchings.

Top Bottom