What's new

EJ89 chrome fault?!

just looked at my Muhle R89 after a cleaning for the 1st time, only used it 3 days and it has pitting spots in the finish.

a little cluster of about 10-15 micro dots on the surface of the finish.

time to contact a different vendor or Muhle

Last edited:
Cool. But did you email Italian Barber or EJ?

both and it turns out joseph at IB had also sent an email to EJ on my behalf, so we had them coming and going.

so in the end, i ended up with the razor with a slightly damaged head, a new head on the way and some soaps/creams/blades from EJ.

i figured i'll try to touch up the ding/dent/flaw with a dab of clean nail polish (to prevent water from getting under) and keep using it until it starts flaking/peeling more, then switch to the new replacement head.

i was happy with that.

i THOUGHT my muhle was fine :mad3:. only used it 3 days, went to clean it up after taking out a blade and noticed some PITTING on top of the surface, little micro glitches if you will.

this is getting annoying. 1st the EJ, now the MUHLE! :confused1

Last edited:
Pitting? Finish damage? And I read this just after my Muhle r89 ships from the vendor. I thought it was a superior razor :blush:

i hear you. i ordered the Muhle thinking it was supposed to be the "bees knees" of razors and perfect fit/finish. then ordered an EJ to compliment it.

i knew they were the same heads, but i ended up with 2 flawed heads.

we'll see what Muhle says about it. hopefully they are as good as EJ with their Customer Service, i'm guessing they will be.

I have decided that the scrathings and my mühle and my EJ doesnt bather my. Its on the inside and hopefully wont affect anything. :001_tongu

I have decided that the scrathings and my mühle and my EJ doesnt bather my. Its on the inside and hopefully wont affect anything. :001_tongu

yeah, i think i'd be ok with the light scratching, but i worry about the pit marks on my muhle and the EJ had a pre-existing crack/chip in it (which is being replaced).

someone else had brought up a good point though. even if it's just scractching, if it's not plated as well as it should be, it might absorb water and start to chip/peel.

After reading this thread, I checked my EJ86. No marks of any type on the head. his was rec'd on Jan 2/11 and has been in use every day since.

It would be nice to hear some official word from EJ or Mühle about this.

I was going to get an EJ but now I won't until I know what they have to say about it.

I was going to get an EJ but now I won't until I know what they have to say about it.

here's what EJ had to say about the EJ head. they were very apologetic and sincere in their response. it wasn't some generic form response, they actually addressed all my concerns and took time to explain stuff to me, which i appreciated. i have not heard back about the Muhle Head yet. these are exerts, but you'll get the jist of it...

- We are very sorry to hear of the problem you have encountered with your Edwin Jagger DE87.
- I will instruct a replacement head is supplied to your home address immediately
- We assuring you and wet shavers world wide of our best attentions at all times.
- Regrettably die casting processes and subsequent production techniques do not enable our craftsmen to remove all scratches from the areas around the pegs. They have been significantly reduced, but unfortunately there will always be an area that is not mirror polished. The flaw in the casting on the right hand side of the peg is a fault that should have been spotted and the component rejected. We apologies for this oversight.
- This fault is very rare and I have to say, I am personally disappointed to learn our factory quality control procedures have failed in this case.

here's what EJ had to say about the EJ head. they were very apologetic and sincere in their response. it wasn't some generic form response, they actually addressed all my concerns and took time to explain stuff to me, which i appreciated. i have not heard back about the Muhle Head yet. these are exerts, but you'll get the jist of it...

- We are very sorry to hear of the problem you have encountered with your Edwin Jagger DE87.
- I will instruct a replacement head is supplied to your home address immediately
- We assuring you and wet shavers world wide of our best attentions at all times.
- Regrettably die casting processes and subsequent production techniques do not enable our craftsmen to remove all scratches from the areas around the pegs. They have been significantly reduced, but unfortunately there will always be an area that is not mirror polished. The flaw in the casting on the right hand side of the peg is a fault that should have been spotted and the component rejected. We apologies for this oversight.
- This fault is very rare and I have to say, I am personally disappointed to learn our factory quality control procedures have failed in this case.

Thanks for posting that. I may just send them an email myself if I decide to get one after all. That's pretty much what I was hoping a response would be so it has made me reconsider.

here's Muhle's reply that i got this morning regarding the flaw on the R89 head:

it looks like a manufacturing defect, we will replace and send you a new head. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

so as much as it was an inconvenience and discouragement to have 2 razors from 2 different vendors and 2 different mfg's have flaws on them, in the end i was take care of.

hopefully they look over the replacements and make sure they are fine.

now my question is, what is the best way to try and salvage the exisiting heads? a little dab of clean nail polish? or is there something else i can put on them to prevent it from getting water damage and spreading?

Last edited:
here's Muhle's reply that i got this morning regarding the flaw on the R89 head:

it looks like a manufacturing defect, we will replace and send you a new head. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

so as much as it was an inconvenience and discouragement to have 2 razors from 2 different vendors and 2 different mfg's have flaws on them, in the end i was take care of.

hopefully they look over the replacements and make sure they are fine.

now my question is, what is the best way to try and salvage the exisiting heads? a little dab of clean nail polish? or is there something else i can put on them to prevent it from getting water damage and spreading?

I would look at some epoxy paint to fill in the scratches.

Epoxy is resistant to water and chemicals. I'm sure it could tough out any shaving soap in that case. It should bond to metal but I don't know about chrome but if the scratch is showing metal then it should fill it in and bond to it.

Well I just received my DE90L from a seller on Amazon, not Amazon LLC, and much to my dismay, my head had the same flaws...it has a gash that shows the copper color...I sent Edwin Jagger an email. But I also noticed some scratches on the base of the bottom head part as well as what looks like water marks? Maybe the razor was used? Or I'm just paranoid. Anyways I was so excited about this razor but after reading this thread was worried whether I would get a good one or flawed one...and it looks like I got a flawed one...maybe I should have waited until Amazon actually got them back in stock..or maybe it wouldn't have made any difference since it seems to be a manufacturing defect. I have contacted both the seller and Edwin Jagger so we'll see what happens...:thumbdown

Last edited:
And just wondering, if anyone has received the replacement head from EJ, do they send just the top part? Or the bottom part as well..

Top Bottom