What's new

EJ XL synthetic vs. Muhle STF 25mm

Can anyone who has used these two brushes comment on the differences between the knots?

I understand the fiber's the same. Knot diameter's the same. Unclear to me whether the loft is the same. It sounds like at least some people perceive the EJ knot to be more dense.

I am mostly interested in hearing about flowthrough and how stiff the knots are relative to one another (I like a softer brush). But, please share any other thoughts or impressions including if you prefer one over the other and why.

Thanks gents!

I have both. The EJ knot is more fan-shaped whereas the Muhle is more of a bulb, the loft is the same. To me the EJ brush feels to be slightly denser, and in general I prefer a fan-shaped knot, so I have a slight preference for the EJ but they're both great brushes and there's not a lot of difference between them. Performance is equally good, they both lather like beasts and have good flow-through. I do find the EJ handle to be more comfortable.

My advice would be to go for whichever you prefer the appearance / price of.

proxy.php

Thanks Chris! Very helpful.

I wasn't aware of the difference in the knot shape, but it's unmistakably clear in that photo.

Anyone else have thoughts on these brushes?

Last edited:
I used both extensively and, on three occasions, used them both during the same shave to get a close comparison. They are the same knots and mine measured to the same diameter/loft dimensions. Many have posted that the EJ is more dense, but this was not the case with my brushes. They looked and felt as if they had the same density. I did notice a subtle difference in the shape of the knots, with the EJ leaning more towards a fan and the Muhle leaning more towards a bulb. As a result, I felt that the EJ splayed slightly more and felt slightly larger on the face. The handle on the EJ is larger, but I preferred the look and finish of the resin on the Muhle. They are both excellent synthetics. I ended up keeping the Muhle, but purely for minor subjective reasons.

Like Ricardo above, I find the density to be the same on my EJ and Muhle XL synthetics. When I first unpackaged the EJ, a few days ago, I did think that it felt denser than my Muhle, as several others had stated. However, after washing and combing it after it had dried, it feels to be no denser than the Muhle. I felt some resistance while combing the EJ the first time, which I had never experienced with any of my other synthetics (nor after combing after the first use of the EJ), so maybe it was a bit tangled from the factory, which may have made it feel denser initially. Maybe that's what others have experienced, as well, and are attributing to the EJ feeling denser. Who knows.

Mine are pictured below. It's worth noting that the Muhle has been used quite a few times, and the EJ only once so far, so the EJ will likely bloom a bit more, and the knots will look closer in appearance than they do in the picture.

$ej_muhle.jpg

The EJ XL is the only brush I've ever used with a handle that was unusable for me. Just couldn't get a good grip, and the base lip kept cutting into my hand. The knot was fine, so if I was buying now I guess I'd opt for the Muhle. The large version's handle fit me okay so I imagine the extra-large would too.

The EJ XL is the only brush I've ever used with a handle that was unusable for me. Just couldn't get a good grip, and the base lip kept cutting into my hand. The knot was fine, so if I was buying now I guess I'd opt for the Muhle. The large version's handle fit me okay so I imagine the extra-large would too.

I agree that the lip of the base is too sharp on the EJ handle. It should have been beveled or rounded-off. I plan to do that myself (wet-sand & polish it).

Call 1-800-RudyVey (not really a number) and get a Muhle synthetic knot placed in a much prettier and functional handle you will be proud to pass on to your ungrateful offspring (or sell to grateful B&B members at slightly less than your purchase price (or more)).. I would easily sell or PIF several of my more expensive brushes before anyone could pry my Muhle 25 mm synthetic RV cobalt beehive (shown in my profile pics) from my lathering strengthened vice-like grip.. Otherwise EJ vs Muhle - flip a coin from what I've gathered on the forums...

I own both and love both. To me they are Plisson killers...the EJ X-Large brush is well, larger with a more dense knot (and a bit more back bone) than the Muhle X-Large Silvertip. You can't go wrong with either here. If you prefer a bigger brush, go for the EJ, if you prefer a smaller one, go with the Muhle. The fibers are identical.

I own both and love both. To me they are Plisson killers...the EJ X-Large brush is well, larger with a more dense knot (and a bit more back bone) than the Muhle X-Large Silvertip. You can't go wrong with either here. If you prefer a bigger brush, go for the EJ, if you prefer a smaller one, go with the Muhle. The fibers are identical.

I seem to be going the other way. I had the Plisson but wanted something bigger. Got the EJ XL but find it a bit less soft.

So at the moment I'm back to the Plisson.

I have both. The EJ knot is more fan-shaped whereas the Muhle is more of a bulb, the loft is the same. To me the EJ brush feels to be slightly denser, and in general I prefer a fan-shaped knot, so I have a slight preference for the EJ but they're both great brushes and there's not a lot of difference between them. Performance is equally good, they both lather like beasts and have good flow-through. I do find the EJ handle to be more comfortable.

My advice would be to go for whichever you prefer the appearance / price of.

proxy.php

i also own both brushes and agree with Chris's assessment.

I seem to be going the other way. I had the Plisson but wanted something bigger. Got the EJ XL but find it a bit less soft.

So at the moment I'm back to the Plisson.

You might try the Stirling. Its the same knot as Plisson in 26mm with a 63mm loft and heavy black handle.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile and maybe no one cares one way or the other but I've had a Muhle XL and recently got the Edwin Jagger XL. So I just have to put my 2 cents in this topic.

The first thing I did was measure them. They both had 25mm knots but I found the loft to be 60mm on the Muhle and 53mm on the EJ. They both have an overall height of 110mm. The handle is taller on the EJ. To me they both feel the same on how dense they are.
It's hard to see in my picture but the Muhle is more spread out and therefore it splays more easily. Some guys feel the EJ knot is set a little deeper. This seems to be true.
They feel about the same when shaving but I have to give a slight edge to the Muhle because it looks and feels more fuller and splays nicely.

$Brushes 25mm knot.jpg

Last edited:
I own both the Muhle and EJ XL STF brushes. These are actually the only two brushes I own and I will order replacements if they ever go bad. I agree with your assessment that the Muhle splays a bit easier, but the EJ splays pretty easily as well and has a bit better backbone. Can't go wrong with either brush though.

In one thread Rudy (the guy famous for his custom brushes) said the Muhle STF XL and the Chubby 2 synthetic are the only stock brushes worth buying. (Not an exact quote but close.)

Top Bottom