What's new

EJ DE89, octagonal handle vs lined

Hey guys,

Looking at picking up an EJ DE89, but waffling between the styles of handles available.
I don't like the smooth and am particularly drawn to the lined and octagonal variants.

Any preferences regarding comfort and "gripiness" with these two?

Cheers!

I have the De-89L and it is a wonderful razor. I can't speak highly enough about it. The head is the same for both models so the handle is going to be somewhat of a cosmetic decision. I've never used the octagonal handle but I think it looks pretty nifty. You can't go wrong in either case.

Good luck with your decision.

Yeah, I gotta say I'm really tempted by the Barley handle....and as a home brewer and partner in a local craft brewery, I think I'm duty bound to get that one! lol

I got the Barley one...I love it....but since I am a newbie, and this is my only razor, I am like the fly in horseradish

I got a Barley handled EJ for my son-in-law, but for myself, I put a Weber Bulldog handle on my EJ DE89. It is MUCH easier to hold.

Hey guys,

Looking at picking up an EJ DE89, but waffling between the styles of handles available.
I don't like the smooth and am particularly drawn to the lined and octagonal variants.

Any preferences regarding comfort and "gripiness" with these two?

Cheers!

I had a similar dilemma with regards EJ handles & I was also considering the Muhle equivalents, which use the same head as the EJ. I eventually went for a Muhle R89, which has similar "mock" knurling to the EJ Barley & I found the handle to be very slippery. I now have a Muhle R106 which has a smooth resin handle, which has great grip. I would imagine the smooth EJ resin handles will be equally grippy.

I use the EJ89L and have no issues with slippage what so ever. The lined, brightly chromed handle is a thing of beauty!

My first (and thus far, only) razor is an EJ DE89 with the Barley handle. I bought that one over the other DE89 handles because it appeared to be "grippier". I was not disappointed! This isn't to say that it can't slip, but just that I have more confidence that it won't because of the texture. In the few months since my shaving chrysalis, I've always felt like I had a secure grip.

You nailed it! I also ordered the EJ89 for my first razor, smooth Chrome, I can say that it is not slippery as I had originally thought it would be. However, I quickly ordered a Murker 180 for the longer handle being I was used to Multi-Blade razors and the EJ89 is a lot shorter than I expected!

Can't go wrong either way, just remember to let the Razor do the work using only the weight of the head (no pressure) and cut your whiskers with a couple light passes, rather than trying to mow everything in one pass..

Read up, soon enough we'll see you in re-hab!! Hahaha..

Enjoy,
James

I have the lined handle and it's a thing of beauty. Grip is better than expected, but not as good as my Merkur 37c or Gillette Fatboy. The EJ can feel a little slippery when too wet, but not so slippery that I've ever felt like I'd lose control of the razor.

I found the Muhle R89 handle to be slick enough that I bought a Matador Toro Mastiff just for the handle. I now use Tech fat handles, which work nicely (or the aforementioned Toro Mastiff).

I don't think that I use any other DE handles except for my adjustables, where the handle isn't removeable.

Top Bottom