What's new

EJ DE89- Head Seperation Issue

A few years ago I purchased and EJ DE89 from BST. I have no idea how long the previous owner had it, I'm guessing not that long. It arrvied in excellent condition and has been probelm free up until about a week ago. While drying off my razor one day I noticed that the head seemed to be a little loose from where it inserts into the base. And then yesterday while drying the razor this happened (see attached image). Apparently the handle is not one solid piece and it looks like the two pieces may have once been joined by some kind of epoxy. It looks like a pretty easy fix; I plan on cleaning up the joining ends and securing them with some 2 part epoxy. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any other reccomended fixes?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• $IMAG0076 (2).jpg
    $IMAG0076 (2).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 112
  • $IMAG0083 (2).jpg
    $IMAG0083 (2).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 108
  • $IMAG0093 (2).jpg
    $IMAG0093 (2).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 108
I'm relieved. The title of your thread lead me to believe you had somehow cleaved your skull with the humble DE89.:ohmy:

Good luck with the fix. Keep us posted on your progress!

Nah I wouldnt trust superglue here.

Clean out as much old epoxy as possible - you want steel on steel. Rough up the inside of the socket an the bottom of the head just a little bit with a fine metal file or rough-ish sandpaper. 2 part epoxy is what you want here, preferably marine grade for added security though I expect regular would work fine. After it sets no water will be getting in there.

Nah I wouldnt trust superglue here.

Clean out as much old epoxy as possible - you want steel on steel. Rough uip the inside of the socket an the bottom of the head just a little bit with a fine metal file or rough-ish sandpaper. 2 part epoxy is what you want here, preferably marine grade for added security though I expect regular would work fine. After it sets no water will be getting in there.

That there is exactly what I done did...I ended up going with a cold weld metal bonding expoxy though

All fixed with a little help from Devcon's High Strength Titanium 5 Expoxy. The 2,500 PSI rating might be a little over kill, but at least I know that its not going to fall off again. it's proabaly more secure now that when it left the factory. Now I just need to let her finish curing overnight and take her for a road test tomorrow.

Attachments

• $IMAG0094 (2).jpg
    $IMAG0094 (2).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom