What's new

EJ DE89 disappointing compared to Merkur Futur

I have both & like was said the DE89 is a mild razor but, its hard to get irritation from it on the neck area. I know where my trouble spots are & go over them a couple more times getting a close shave. The Astra SP blades can contain duds I have found out.

You saved me so much trouble! Thank you!

I used Astra SP with many different razors and it was one of the worst blade. I thought there was something wrong with me. After all, the big majority writes that it is among the best blades. (So, I am the wrong guy).
I used it after two months. The same disappointment.

Today I read that Astra SP blades "can contain duds".

Gave the EJ DE89 another go today. I tweaked my shaving angle a bit and it worked a lot better with an Astra Sp blade.
It is mild shaver but I could get a good close shave with 3 Passes and a few touch ups. With it being mild there is no irritation on my neck. I think it will make a great travel razor for me, with it being mild as it would be hard to cut yourself with it.
I can now see why it is a much loved razor. I am glad I have it another go.

I think the EJ is a mild razor for people that shave every single day. I can get a a BBS with my 59 year old whiskers but as Invicta says you have to watch the angle.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I felt the same. Started with a Mühle R89, same head as the Edwin Jagger DE89. Went straight to a Mühle R41, which enabled a much closer and thorough shave without having to correct still slightly not well shaven spots.

Basically, it's a beginner razor if people prefer safety over an efficient close shave. Nowadays people coming straight from cartridges pick the Rockwell 6S and are amazed that they managed not to mangle themselves with this in every setting mild razor.

Note, you can get a BBS with a DE89, but if you can do that, you might as well be able to do it with a more aggressive razor and some practice much more easily.

Not a big fan of the EJ, but it will shave your face if you wield it properly.

As others have said, it requires a more consistent technique owing to a narrower window of usable angles.

After a while your technique will get to the point that you get a BBS shave no matter what razor you use. Some razors might be 2 or 3 passes and yet some smoother than others, but the result will be the same.

I totally understand now why people sell off and clear their dens on BST. Never understood previously after RAD, but I get it now. I don’t believe there are “Beginner” razors anymore but some less aggressive ones may be better safety wise for new DE shavers.

If your Futur is giving you the closeness you desire and the comfort you want, why not celebrate your Yorkshire heritage with something other than a safety razor and let the Futur keep your face clean to display a proud smile about Yorkshire’s other offerings and accomplishments?

+1

I'll suggest to trade EJ89 with a Merkur 37C and open the Slant's world door.

Top Bottom