What's new

EJ DE89 disappointing compared to Merkur Futur

I have been using the merkur futur for the last few weeks with great success. I have tried a few blades, and still have a few more blades to try. At this moment the Astra SP seems to be the smoothest/sharpest so far at setting 1 to 1.5. Love the audible feedback and the weight and balance of the razor.

Today I tried a de89 and went with a new Astra SP. First pass felt a bit tuggy and didn't seem to shave very close. So I put in a feather (1st time I have used this blade) for the second and third pass which felt smoother. After washing off the shave didn't seem very close. In fact I had to reshave with the futur to get an acceptable shave.

Now I wanted to be impressed with the de89 as I was born and raised in Yorkshire, where the EJ's are made. As well as this the razor is kind on the eye.

I will try it again as I am hoping I might just have to tweak my angle to find the sweet spot for the razor.
Has anyone else been disappointed with the de89 at the start? As this razor just seems to get praise, from most reviews.
Or am I just comparing a butter knife (EJ DE89) to a sharp kitchen knife (Merkur Futur)?

Last edited:
The EJ89 is a very mild razor especially compared with the Merkur Futur even with a sharp blade it won't be as effective don't get me wrong the EJ is a well crafted razor but as said very mild

Last edited:
Or am I just comparing a butter knife (EJ DE89) to a sharp kitchen knife (Merkur Futur)?
Your are comparing apples and pears here; one is adjustable and the other is not. Also it is the blade that does the cutting so present it at the correct angle and it will do the job.
All razors have their own nuances and it takes a couple of shaves to settle in. Having said that I can adjust very easily from the Merkur Progress to the EJ DE89 as I have shaved many times with both.
Isn't the DE89 a beginner razor?
The EJ DE89 is used by novices and experienced shavers alike but the results depend on technique. You cannot blame the razor for poor technique.

I have both & like was said the DE89 is a mild razor but, its hard to get irritation from it on the neck area. I know where my trouble spots are & go over them a couple more times getting a close shave. The Astra SP blades can contain duds I have found out.

I used my DE89 for years till it broke when I dropped it accidentally. I have since acquired razors I like much more. At a similar or lower price point, Fatip makes a solid brass razor that I like much more as it is both more mild feeling and more efficient for my face and with my technique. I reckon you can easily find better razors than the DE89 that are also made of better materials though many of them may be at higher price points.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

Some designs match better with an individual’s limbs, sensitivities, and capabilities. And the more one practices using a specific razor, the better one gets at that specific razor.

If your Futur is giving you the closeness you desire and the comfort you want, why not celebrate your Yorkshire heritage with something other than a safety razor and let the Futur keep your face clean to display a proud smile about Yorkshire’s other offerings and accomplishments?

If a Yorkshire-crafted safety razor is a “must,” you could always stick with your EJ DE89 until your skill with it surpasses your current skills with the Futur.

The good news is that you have conquered the Futur.
EJ is not horrible, but way over rated. With 3 passes, you can probably accomplish a decent shave.
You might better off with a vintage Gillette adjustable if you want variety, or else keep using the Futur.

Some designs match better with an individual’s limbs, sensitivities, and capabilities. And the more one practices using a specific razor, the better one gets at that specific razor.

If your Futur is giving you the closeness you desire and the comfort you want, why not celebrate your Yorkshire heritage with something other than a safety razor and let the Futur keep your face clean to display a proud smile about Yorkshire’s other offerings and accomplishments?

If a Yorkshire-crafted safety razor is a “must,” you could always stick with your EJ DE89 until your skill with it surpasses your current skills with the Futur.

+1! Great advice!

You are comparing two very different razors IMO. The EJ is in the ’mild/moderate’ category while the Future is far more ‘aggressive.’ Either can provide great shaves with the optimal blade and good technique. But the blade choice and technique are likely to differ. Just my $0.02! :thumbup: :thumbup:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Today I tried a de89 and went with a new Astra SP. First pass felt a bit tuggy and didn't seem to shave very close.

Both are due to not having found the angle yet. It's a mild razor, and the window for hitting the right angle between too steep, and too shallow (both of which cause the issues you mention), is very narrow. One you find it, and hit it consistently, I think you'll be a lot happier.

I've been shaving with DE razors for 30 years, and an Edwin Jagger is my primary razor, so it's not just for beginners. However, like any new razor, it has its own learning curve, and it takes a little time to get the best from it.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. The DE89 is hyper mild. Heck, I even get closer shaves with some of my Techs. I don't even know why I put a spare DE89 head in an online order a few years ago. It stays in my drawer and has never been used, and I know I won't get to use is for sure. I also don't use anymore my DE89 razor for the same reason. Good for shaving women's legs. Not the barbwire on my face.
The Futur is something completely different. Even on the lower settings is it quite the aggressive razor. My preferences are more towards the Progress, but still the Futur is one really excellent razor.

Razors are designed to be different. Otherwise they'd be redundant. There's a razor out there for everyone. Variety is healthy and desirable. Variety also offers expanded opportunities for learning.

The DE89 was a razor that taught me how to shave with a DE without slicing my face off, but when I moved on from it I never looked back. I know some people prefer this razor, or have fine shaves sticking with it long term, but for me it was a stepping stone and I moved on. It's currently at my parents house.

It usually takes me a few shaves to get the hang of a razor new to me, especially when it differs greatly from the one or ones I've been using just before. I've found it's almost always worth persevering for a good while before giving up on a razor — most of them will give a very good shave once mastered.
As for the EJ89 it was my first DE razor and I still use it occasionally, usually when travelling. It's by no means my favourite, but it is well made and designed and does a very decent job.

Both are due to not having found the angle yet. It's a mild razor, and the window for hitting the right angle between too steep, and too shallow (both of which cause the issues you mention), is very narrow.

So it seems you need better skill to find the sweet spot with the milder razors. Which makes sense now thinking about it. As my main issue was my neck when going against the grain.

From day one with the futur it just seemed to work. As I do a short stroke and hear the audible noise of cutting, then just keep going. Seems the weight of it helped me ride the blade with no pressure. I think the audible feedback is reassuring and a good indicator you are in the sweet spot.

I found I got very little audible feedback from the DE89. I could only pick it up when close to my ears.

I will stick with just the tea from Yorkshire 🍵
yorkshire-extra-strong-tea-bags-100-pack.jpg

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So it seems you need better skill to find the sweet spot with the milder razors. Which makes sense now thinking about it. As my main issue was my neck when going against the grain.

From day one with the futur it just seemed to work. As I do a short stroke and hear the audible noise of cutting, then just keep going. Seems the weight of it helped me ride the blade with no pressure. I think the audible feedback is reassuring and a good indicator you are in the sweet spot.

I found I got very little audible feedback from the DE89. I could only pick it up when close to my ears.

The greater the blade exposure, the greater the window from when cap and blade are on skin together, to when comb and blade are on skin together. So yes, it takes more precision to get a close smooth shave with a milder razor, but there's less chance of getting bitten hard.

On that topic, if you've managed to nick yourself or get a weeper with the Jagger, you've got it to cut below skin level. If you can get it to cut below, you can get it to cut AT skin level. The sound may well change when you get it right.

If you've not already seen it (or even if you have), take a gander through the first four posts of this thread. It should help you get a little more understanding of the mechanics.

I will stick with just the tea from Yorkshire 🍵
View attachment 1155939

That is a good idea but you do have razor options. Get yourself a nice vintage straight. Some of the biggest names out there were made with Sheffield steel.

In the DE world, try the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 instead of the DE series. It’s a stainless steel razor that will cut much more effectively than the DE89. I’ve had both. Did not like the DE at all. Far too mild. The 3ONE6 works much better for me, and it might for you also.

In the DE world, try the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 instead of the DE series. It’s a stainless steel razor that will cut much more effectively than the DE89. I’ve had both. Did not like the DE at all. Far too mild. The 3ONE6 works much better for me, and it might for you also.

I was thinking of getting the 3one6 instead of getting the DE89 at the start. I ended up going on the side of caution, getting the milder and cheaper DE89. I also contemplated the 34C, with the shorter and heavier handle.

May get a 3one6 later, as I can buy direct from Edwin Jagger plus they remove the VAT on the price for overseas sales . So it makes it a bit cheaper.

However at the moment I really like the weight, balance and feel of the futur. So I might just stick with that as my main razor.

I like the EJ89, my first DE since... well I don't know when, I must have used one when I started to shave.
I find that I get a great shave, though I don't use it all that often as I have 30 straights to work my way through.

Top Bottom