What's new

EJ 89lbl versus gillette fatboy adjustable in todays shave off

So I put my EJ against my Gillette fatboy. Here were the fairly unscientific terms. I like the EJ just slightly better with the feather but I can get by with an astra just fine. The fatboy works fine with the astra. I decided to give them both fresh blades with gillette getting the astra and EJ getting the feather and do the full face prep and do back to back passes with one razor doing a pass in an area that is next to the other razor pass. I alternated each razor 4 times and did the rest with the fatboy. It seemed to be the winner.
Next I want to try this with the same brand blades so Ill drop a fresh astra back in the EJ tomorrow. I thought this back to back would eliminate some variables. I also alternated which razor started where on each side of my face. For example I started the EJ under my left ear and alternated and started the fatboy under the right and alternated. The Fatboy worked so well I ended my experiment and did the chin and mustache with the fatboy.

other info: used razorock xxx, parker badger and had the gillette set to 5.

The contenders in the lather bowl:

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you.

Yes that setting was part of my attempt to even the playing field. I just added a little photo as well. I'm especially curious now whether the blade switch will make me realize I like the fatboy or if it will change my mind on whether I like the feather in the EJ more than the astra.

Oddly wishing the hair would grow back sooner now!

Liked my fatboy but not more then that.
Until today when I dialed to 9 and with a Astra. Like a whole different razor!

I like mine at 5-6 but i may have to push it up a notch or two later. I was trying to keep it even for the comparo

Unless you can accurately measure the blade gap and blade exposure of both razors it's not a fair comparison. A couple of thousandths of an inch can make a difference yet you probably cannot see it with the naked eye. I have both razors and love them both. I can get BBS shaves from each one. I usually set the FatBoy on 6 because that's all I need for a BBS shave. In the end it's all about how it performs for you.

I measured the gaps on my Fatboy & DE89.
My D4 Fatboy weighs 85g & has a blade gap of 0.85mm @5
My DE89 weighs in at 74g & has a blade gap of 0.75mm
The Fatboy @5 should seem more aggressive, but I really can't tell the difference between the two. At 6 it does, and the blade gap there is 0.91mm on mine.

Unless you can accurately measure the blade gap and blade exposure of both razors it's not a fair comparison. A couple of thousandths of an inch can make a difference yet you probably cannot see it with the naked eye. I have both razors and love them both. I can get BBS shaves from each one. I usually set the FatBoy on 6 because that's all I need for a BBS shave. In the end it's all about how it performs for you.

What's not fair? The difference in blade gap is part of the charachter of each razor that makes them different. He's familiar with each. Used them (as far as I can tell from the original post) in the way they work the best, and used them closely enough together to see which he likes better, taking prep and lather out of the picture as possible confounding factors.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm just trying to eliminate variables and may find where adjustments can be made. I have just compared what I thought was working best for each individual razor and will continue to tweak the variables to see what changes. I will measure some of the specs. They do have different feels and I was just winging it this morning during the shave. The gillette seemed more comfortable so far.

zygalski would a setting of 4 on the gillette be near the same gap on the EJ in your case? Just curious. What did you use to measure it?

4 is 0.75mm on my Fatboy.
I used a feeler gauge:
proxy.php

Oh and sounds like a 4 is a good place to start to even the blade gaps if I wanted to do that. My original test with dissimilar blades and different blade gaps was just intended to be best of each versus each other. Not necessarily exact specs for bench racing but what works in practice. If my measurements are similar then it sounds like the gillette with more aggressive blade gap is still more comfortable? Guess I'll know soon.

I should explain the method.
You put a used blade in, then run the feeler gauge along the gap. Select the correct total thickness of gauge fingers so that they pass stacked one on top of the other(s) along the entire length of the gap with a feeling of very slight resistance. If you have to force them into the gap or it feels difficult to run along the gap then the total thickness of gauge is too great.
You want one of the gauges with many increments, like the one in my photo. They cost virtually nothing.

Im familiar with adjusting valves on old 911s so Im familiar with the slight drag and Ill probably use the same used blade in both to get measurements. Thanks for the info again.

Unless you can accurately measure the blade gap and blade exposure of both razors it's not a fair comparison. A couple of thousandths of an inch can make a difference yet you probably cannot see it with the naked eye.
Somewhere, maybe in the ShaveWiki, I've seen a database that lists blade gaps for most of the DE razors. A quick check of that chart should provide quantitative answers to this important variable.

I went looking for the chart, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can dig up the link, and then we'll know the blade-gaps in question, and we can properly compare apple to apples.

These were my go to razors for a long time. Put a Bulldog handle on the DE89 and sold the FB. The slimmer head of the EJ works better for me and the added weight of a good handle made it perfect.

why dont you shave half of your face with the 89 and the other half with the fatboy. Do your normal routine and see which side feels better and is smoother?

Ill try that now. I was alternating in case when I shave with my left hand my technique is weaker. Since I alternate hands on the sides.

Yeah, I'm primarily right handed but use my mouse on the computer at work as left handed and various other tasks I can be ambidextrous. I only shave the mustache area right handed and then seem to split the left and right for the rest. I'm reminded how different it is for folks when they want to try and use my computer to show me something they found online and cant get the mouse to work.

Top Bottom