What's new

EJ 3ONE6 or Muhle Rocca V4. A tentative comparison.

1st shave with the Rocca V4. I have the R96 I think with the black handle. I'm going to compare it against the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 throughout because they are similar, plenty folks have asked on Forums how they compare, and there's few if any direct comparisons. I must point out right here that I have used the 3ONE6 a lot, and this is my first impression of the Rocca V4, so my findings can be considered tentative and subject to change.

First off the two razors feel quite different in the hand. Regardless of specs (I believe both heads weigh 30g but don't have scales to confirm that), the 3ONE6 feels lighter and more nimble. It feels sports car like. Not that the Rocca is heavy or cumbersome. It is not. Build quality is very nice on both. The Rocca handle feels very nice on the 3ONE6 head so I will shave with that combo at some point. The 3ONE6 handle is thin and although fit for purpose, just feels wrong. Visually at least, the Rocca has less blade gap. Visually blade exposure is hard to compare.

The shave. I found the Rocca easy to shave with right out the box. No problems with weight of shave angles. With only 1 shave in, I found the razor felt best at the neutral angle, and had no dramas experimenting either side of that, shallow or steep. The 3ONE6 requires more attention. It is capable of smooth shaves but come off the 'just right' and it either losses efficiency, gets rough as hell, or it can bite big time. Get skin in that big gap and puckering of anus will occur rapido. Get it right and the 3ONE6 can shave smooth and comfortable against the grain.The Rocca had no such drama. It also felt that it would not shave as smooth as the 3ONE6 against the grain, although it's not painfully rough at all. I'd say for smooth and comfortable ATG the 3ONE6 has the edge, with the caveats mentioned above.

The Rocca is plenty efficient sitting between the R89 and R41, but closer to the R41. It feels like it has more blade exposure than the 3ONE6 but to me the 3ONE6 is more efficient. The Rocca feels more aggressive though. This smooth/rough thing, which is very subjective...The Rocca sounds rougher than it feels, if that makes sense. The 3ONE6 sounds smoother, and to me feels it when the stars align.

I'm sitting here thinking the 3ONE6 is the one I will keep. It has some strange character that I wouldn't normally tolerate, but somehow find the 3ONE6 rather charming because of them. The Rocca feels more generic and less interesting but not a bad razor. It is efficient, a fairly big step up from the R89, well made and fairly smooth. I'd say anyone who loves the end result using a R41 but couldn't handle the roughness, may well like this razor.

I acknowledge once more that this is my first use of the Rocca and my findings might change over time. One more thing, again tentatively. Muhle claim the V4 is CNC produced. I'm not disputing that but it looks and feels to me very much like a MIM stainless head. I'm wondering if the head is MIM made and then ''trimmed'' to spec on a CNC machine. Is that even possible or financially viable? I have no idea.

1st shave with the Rocca V4. I have the R96 I think with the black handle. I'm going to compare it against the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 throughout because they are similar, plenty folks have asked on Forums how they compare, and there's few if any direct comparisons. I must point out right here that I have used the 3ONE6 a lot, and this is my first impression of the Rocca V4, so my findings can be considered tentative and subject to change.

First off the two razors feel quite different in the hand. Regardless of specs (I believe both heads weigh 30g but don't have scales to confirm that), the 3ONE6 feels lighter and more nimble. It feels sports car like. Not that the Rocca is heavy or cumbersome. It is not. Build quality is very nice on both. The Rocca handle feels very nice on the 3ONE6 head so I will shave with that combo at some point. The 3ONE6 handle is thin and although fit for purpose, just feels wrong. Visually at least, the Rocca has less blade gap. Visually blade exposure is hard to compare.

The shave. I found the Rocca easy to shave with right out the box. No problems with weight of shave angles. With only 1 shave in, I found the razor felt best at the neutral angle, and had no dramas experimenting either side of that, shallow or steep. The 3ONE6 requires more attention. It is capable of smooth shaves but come off the 'just right' and it either losses efficiency, gets rough as hell, or it can bite big time. Get skin in that big gap and puckering of anus will occur rapido. Get it right and the 3ONE6 can shave smooth and comfortable against the grain.The Rocca had no such drama. It also felt that it would not shave as smooth as the 3ONE6 against the grain, although it's not painfully rough at all. I'd say for smooth and comfortable ATG the 3ONE6 has the edge, with the caveats mentioned above.

The Rocca is plenty efficient sitting between the R89 and R41, but closer to the R41. It feels like it has more blade exposure than the 3ONE6 but to me the 3ONE6 is more efficient. The Rocca feels more aggressive though. This smooth/rough thing, which is very subjective...The Rocca sounds rougher than it feels, if that makes sense. The 3ONE6 sounds smoother, and to me feels it when the stars align.

I'm sitting here thinking the 3ONE6 is the one I will keep. It has some strange character that I wouldn't normally tolerate, but somehow find the 3ONE6 rather charming because of them. The Rocca feels more generic and less interesting but not a bad razor. It is efficient, a fairly big step up from the R89, well made and fairly smooth. I'd say anyone who loves the end result using a R41 but couldn't handle the roughness, may well like this razor.

I acknowledge once more that this is my first use of the Rocca and my findings might change over time. One more thing, again tentatively. Muhle claim the V4 is CNC produced. I'm not disputing that but it looks and feels to me very much like a MIM stainless head. I'm wondering if the head is MIM made and then ''trimmed'' to spec on a CNC machine. Is that even possible or financially viable? I have no idea.
Great review!

The 3ONE6 handle is thin and although fit for purpose, just feels wrong.
Is that the stainless steel handle or aluminium handle; maybe they are the same diameter?
I think Edwin Jagger were saying both types of handle were 12mm diameter which is quite substantial.
What diameter is the Rocca handle?

Last edited:
Is that the stainless steel handle or aluminium handle; maybe they are the same diameter?
I think Edwin Jagger were saying both types of handle were 12mm diameter which is quite substantial.
What diameter is the Rocca handle?

My EJ aluminium handle is 11mm.
The Muhle is 14mm.

Third shave with the Rocca V4. This time I used the supplied Muhle blade and had the smoothest shave yet. That said the Muhle blade isn't the sharpest.

All things considered I'll be selling this razor on. It's easier to use than the 3ONE6 but not as comfortable against the grain, and that's the clincher for me when deciding which one to keep. I was only ever going to keep one.

The Rocca has more blade but despite that I find the 3ONE6 more efficient. It gives one of those deep clean feeling shaves, which I am not feeling with the Rocca. Don't get me wrong I've just had a blinding shave. It doesn't do what the 3ONE6 does though, or the R41 for that matter.

It's not a bad razor and I'm not knocking it. I just prefer the more efficient 3ONE6 with its lesser blade exposure, better comfort ATG, and deeper end result. Nothing but good to say about the handle. The rolled brass tube with press fitted SS top and end caps, and a friendly 14mm diameter makes it a winner in my book and would compliment a large variety of razors, for anyone wanting a handle lighter than solid SS. I think if Muhle sold them separately they would be popular.

Left Muhle Rocca V4 - Right Edwin Jagger 3ONE6

1593180251676.png

1593180337341.png

1593180391143.png

1593180442801.png

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you. Please don’t apologize. I’m the person who saw the flat-bottomed Rocca baseplate and didn’t assume it would have the flatter profile.

Your smoother ATG results with the 3one6 run contrary to what I pretended I knew and it’s intriguing.

The 316 is my favorite DE. Its an excellent razor that unfortunately doesn't get the attention it deserves because its constantly compared to its older sibling, the DE89. It seems many DE89 fans were hoping for a stainless version of the mild 89 and were disappointed to find a mid-aggressive razor in the 316.

I suspect the 316 will never be a wildly popular razor not only because of the unfair comparison to the DE89 but also the price point. In the EJ DE family both of those factors seem to have pushed the 316 into the misfit category.

I have a feeling the 316 will be one of those razors that is never fully appreciated until it reaches unobtanium status. I love mine and will continue using it for years to come.

The 316 is my favorite DE. Its an excellent razor that unfortunately doesn't get the attention it deserves because its constantly compared to its older sibling, the DE89. It seems many DE89 fans were hoping for a stainless version of the mild 89 and were disappointed to find a mid-aggressive razor in the 316.

I suspect the 316 will never be a wildly popular razor not only because of the unfair comparison to the DE89 but also the price point. In the EJ DE family both of those factors seem to have pushed the 316 into the misfit category.

I have a feeling the 316 will be one of those razors that is never fully appreciated until it reaches unobtanium status. I love mine and will continue using it for years to come.

I agree with all of that. I also think the handle choice had a negative impact.

I've been enjoying my Edwin Jagger 3one6 lately. It wasn't the best start but the last few shaves with a Polsilver have been excellent.
From the top of my head, it also works great with Astra SP, Gillette 7'Oclock Super Platinum and ASCO Orange.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

Thanks for the very nice review and comparison, two razors I find interesting to me.

I haven't tried the 3ONE6, but I am a big fan of the Rocca. From what I've read here, I may give the 3ONE6 a try one day, but for now I'm not looking for a new razor. I think that @snowman is correct when he says that the 3ONE6 will probably never be a very popular razor, but I would add that I think the same is true of the Rocca. RazoRock seems to dominate the lower price range stainless steel razor market due to their currently unbeatable price/performance ratio. Folks looking to move up in price (at least from what I read in these forums) are going to the "artisan" manufacturers, like Timeless, Blackland, Charcoal Goods, etc. These two razors are mired in that middle ground.

Top Bottom