What's new

EIGHTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2017 Edition

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your
blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

As usual, I'm going to offer a couple of Personna 74 blades in exchange for a donation to Sue Moore's fund. I'll post them today or tomorrow. They'll be $10.00 each. As always, I don't profit...you'll make the donation directly to Sue's fund and I'll send out the blade to you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Friends Don't Let Friends Shave with Williams.

I'm in for the challenge again this year! :001_cool:

I plan to use a Brazilian-made Gillette Platinum-Plus. It's a very fine blade, but I have no idea if it will last for 28 shaves.

$platinum plus.jpeg

This will be my first time to join. I could play it safe with a GSB since I put 29 shaves on one or I might stretch the comfort zone a little.

I'm in, this will be my first time trying to use a blade over 7 days. I'll likely use my typical Red Personna blade.

-Stephen

I am, of course, in. I've been using a Gillette 7 Oclock Blue for an unknown number of shaves, but conservatively it's at least 75-80 at this point. Should make it easily to the end of February.

$rusplat.jpg

I'm in again! Gotta think of a combination that might be challenging. I'll have to 'audition' a blade/razor combo or two for the next couple of weeks.

I'm in. I haven't quite decided on my combination yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be a Rapira or Ladas blade I'm going to try. Probably going to use my Maggard Slant as the razor.

I'm in again this year, but I've decided to turn it into a "One of everything" month. So for Feb 2017 I'll be using.

Merkur 15C OC razor
Feather Hi Stainless blade
SOC boar brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat soap
Nivea Men aftershave

I plan on at least trying to shave every day. Will be interesting; I've never used a feather blade for more than 4 shaves.

I just happened to have a Red Personna Platinum that I got in a couple weeks ago with several other blades I've never used from try-a-blade that I will be giving a go with...

Question... [MENTION=22264]goby[/MENTION]

I know its a single blade challenge, but do I have to use only 1 razor or can I switch razors every couple days and just use the same blade between them? I didn't see anything like that in the rules, that according to Rule #4 - There are no rules!!

I shall start with a 37C / Personna Red Platinum / 3017'd Club Willy...

Hi,

I am in again as well. I will keep it all the same until the blade falls off. I will be using my usual US-made Personna Lab Blue blades. First off, it will be in a Gillette NEW Short Comb. Once the blade falls off in the SC, I will load a new blade into a Long Comb NEW. So, it will be a test more between the SC and the LC than anything else. ;)

Stan

I'm in! :biggrin1:
$PolsilverSI-5pack+blade.jpg
I intend starting a new Polsilver SI on the first. I've only ever trialled one before, in November 2015 near the (re)start of my DE journey, and I enjoyed it.

My intention is to use four razors, one for each week of February. Starting with my beloved 1945 Knockout:
$K11_Bright30.jpg :001_wub:

I'd really like to enter and if I am at home I will definitely give it a go. There is a chance I might going away for some of February which will mean I will be unable to use a DE/wet shave.

If I am around for all of February, I will use one Gillette Nacet in a Wilkinson DE. I'm intrigued to see how I can keep going with one blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom