What's new

Ehrenfriedhof Dörenther Klippen

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last year of WW2, there was harsh fighting in the Teutoburger Wald, between British and German troops. The Teutoburger Wald is an old mountain range with many rock formations, through which the British could only advance very slowly. German soldiers, many of them not even 18 years old, fought a meaningless battle there, in a war that was lost anyway.

Along the Hermannsweg, there is a small war cemetery, called Ehrenfriedhof Dörenther Klippen. It consists of small and simple limestone crosses, and a copper plaquette which tells how the men laying there came to their end:

"Die Engländer stürmen mit hochstehenden Flammenwerfern vor. Während die Artillerie in direktem Beschuß oder mit hochgezogenen Luftkrepierern die Deutschen in Deckung zwingt, brechen die Flammenwerfer im gleichen Augenblick in die Stellungen ein. Ihr Strahl ist 40 m lang und etwa einen Meter breit. Das war das Ende!“

In a few words; the men in hiding were burnt to death by British troops with flame throwers.

I didn't know about this cemetery, but I was overcome by emotions when I found it, and read the above text. Yes, I know they were the "bad guys", but they also were young men who lost their lives in a terrible way, and must have been out of their mind with fear and pain.

proxy.php

That's a nice picture and a very nice background of it. I've never heard of it before, yet it definitely shows the atrocity that is war. Thank you for sharing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes, out of their minds with fear and pain.
At least they had the option of surrendering.

$th.jpg

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
And unlike those unfortunate souls who surrendered to the Germans or Japanese, they would have been met with justice and mercy.

And unlike those unfortunate souls who surrendered to the Germans or Japanese, they would have been met with justice and mercy.
They would probably have been killed by their own officers. And were heavily indoctrinated.

Last edited:
I think it is fair to say that the regime for which they fought was evil. Whether the individuals in this cemetery were good or evil is known only to God and God alone will be their judge. As to the photo, it is extremely well done and captures the scene perfectly. Nice job and thank you for sharing.

I think it is fair to say that the regime for which they fought was evil.

Yes, they were part of an evil regime. But they were kids too. Several of those who were buried there were only 16 or 17 years old, according to the plate with names.

I don't think that these kids were responsible for the atrocities of the Nazi system, even if they were part of it.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Feeling good about yourself now?

I'll feel much better when people stop glorifying or sympathizing with Nazi's, no matter how young.

Read the autobiography of German General Kurt Meyer (the youngest documented commander on either side) who commanded the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitler Youth, and the stories of fanatical devotion to their duties these "young innocents" displayed. There are some pretty graphic and shocking incidents related about these youths and to what lengths they personally went to try to win.

No, I have no sympathy for these young men who had a choice, and the path they chose was theirs.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/56/a2289756.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/65/a2289765.shtml

On April 2nd 1945, the 3rd Monmouths began what were to develop into repeated — and costly — attacks on the thickly wooded ridge of the Teutoburger Wald.
This symbolic forest was being held by a fanatically dedicated force of German officer cadets and their instructors from the Officer School in Hannover, who were making a last stand.

For a short time the fanatical German officer cadets and their instructors had been within sight of the Battalion headquarters, but with the aid of the carrier and anti tank personnel who played the role of infantry they were forced back (map ref 956060).

The 3rd Monmouths suffered many casualties, nearly all their officers who took part in the attacks were killed. Several other ranks were captured and taken prisoner and the wounded of both sides lay unattended on the forest floor, or in the quarry, the escarpment of which had halted part of the 3rd Monmouths attack and where they were ambushed.

The fighting continued until late on the 3rd April when reinforcements from the 2nd Battalion the Devonshire Regiment, a full brigade of infantry, cleared the area, taking over 100 German prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom