What's new

Efficiency Preference

Guys, I am wondering one question. Would you choose a more efficient or less efficient razor? Suppose they are both fun to shave with.

Shaving with more efficient razor means less pass (could be 1 or 2 pass). On the other hand, shave with less efficient razor means more pass (typical 3 pass or even touch up).

Since shaving with DE razor is mainly a hobby (I think, because that's me 😂) rather than get the job done. Would you rather spend your lovely time shave longer with less efficient razor for the sake of it? Also, a more efficient razor might means you don't need to shave the next day if you have slow facial hair growth, would you sacrifice your opportunity to daily shave with more efficient razor?

I like to shave daily so my preference is for a milder razor with good efficiency (ex Henson Ti22, Yates M, Windsor). It really depends on the razor though. I have a couple that are a little more aggressive but still enjoy them since they are smooth and don't irritate my skin (ex Nodachi, Blackbird, Lupo 95). I guess for me it boils down to comfort along with efficiency. I do enjoy the shaving experience.

I value efficiency as I dislike the feeling of stubborn leftover stubble after a fresh shave. However I also do not like the burning irritation I inevitably feel with a more aggressive razor. The Henson Al and Karve C plate are the sweet spot for me. Extremely comfortable (there is another thread stating "I could shave with a Karve "K" plate) but also give me the highest probability of achieving BBS without extra buffing/effort. I absolutely love the Edwin Jagger 3one6, but my neck feels a little raw every time I use it.

I fall in line with @gdawg55 and @ewk. I enjoy my shaves, but I'm also shaving to achieve a goal. I take my time over three passes, every day, and while I don't chase BBS I certainly do enjoy it. I admit that falling around a SAS is disappointing for me, but 9 times out of 10 I'm in for a solid DFS or DFS+ . . . with my new Henson I'm only at 4 shaves thus far but each one BBS without the irritation. So I'll go with efficiency; I enjoy the lathering phase a bit more than the shave phase, but to use a less efficient razor and stand there and shave for four-plus passes is pushing the limits for me.

Daily shaver, so avoidance irritation almost equal in priority to close shave. Generally use a mild razor, DE89, Progress on 2.5-3, Rockwell #4 plate, Timeless SS .68 scallop. but occasionally like to pull out R41 load with a Feather and enjoy the difficulty of getting an irritation, blood-free shave with that setup.

Daily shaver here. Through trial and error I have found that it is easier for me to get a very close shave with a milder razor and multiple passes (with a smooth blade) without experiencing irritation than it is for me to use an aggressive razor with fewer passes. I think everyone's experience is different. Different faces, different beards etc. Aggressive razors = irritation in my experience. Timeless SS .68 SB is my weapon of choice.

Daily shaver here. Through trial and error I have found that it is easier for me to get a very close shave with a milder razor and multiple passes (with a smooth blade) without experiencing irritation than it is for me to use an aggressive razor with fewer passes. I think everyone's experience is different. Different faces, different beards etc. Aggressive razors = irritation in my experience. Timeless SS .68 SB is my weapon of choice.

+1.

I fall in line with @gdawg55 and @ewk. I enjoy my shaves, but I'm also shaving to achieve a goal. I take my time over three passes, every day, and while I don't chase BBS I certainly do enjoy it. I admit that falling around a SAS is disappointing for me, but 9 times out of 10 I'm in for a solid DFS or DFS+ . . . with my new Henson I'm only at 4 shaves thus far but each one BBS without the irritation. So I'll go with efficiency; I enjoy the lathering phase a bit more than the shave phase, but to use a less efficient razor and stand there and shave for four-plus passes is pushing the limits for me.

The fact you can achieve a 3 pass shave daily is a feet in its own right. My skin would scream at me if I did that and I am someone who grows enough facial hair where if I shave in the morning I have a 5 o'clock shadow by the time I get home form work XD.

To answer OPs question I use the most efficient razor possible because I am unable to shave daily because my skin simply cannot handle daily shaves. So I need to achieve BBS every time I shave which is typically every 3 days or so.

I have not shave daily because it would be time consuming. And I am happy to shave every two days. I do typical 3 pass to achieve BBS. Today I tried to do 2 pass WTG XTG using Rockwell 6C @ 5, but it is not efficient to do that. I will try to do 2 pass again with plate 6 and see how. The main problem is that my mustache area is more sensitive to ATG, and also my skill is sucks still (2 months into wetshaving now). I can get irritarion free ATG on mustache area, but I have to be careful and light touch ride the cap. But I always feel like the blade is digging into my mustache area, and sometimes this cause nicks and weepers. Other part of my face has no problem at all.

Main objective of my post is to figure out which direction I want to go with my next razor purchase. Should I go with Blackbird and do 2 pass shave. Or go with milder Tatara combo and do typical 3 pass shave.

Thanks for all the comments before this :D

I prefer the higher end of the efficiency spectrum and enjoy more blade feel. I have fairly coarse stubble that goes fairly quickly, so the efficiency is nice to have a smooth face most of the day. I typically shave daily. I enjoy blade feel, the blade feel keeps me honest from applying too much pressure. Mild razors with minimal blade feel typically results in pressure and overshaving for me.

I prefer the higher end of the efficiency spectrum and enjoy more blade feel. I have fairly coarse stubble that goes fairly quickly, so the efficiency is nice to have a smooth face most of the day. I typically shave daily. I enjoy blade feel, the blade feel keeps me honest from applying too much pressure. Mild razors with minimal blade feel typically results in pressure and overshaving for me.
Hey, actually what does overshave mean? I don't really understand that haha.

I have not shave daily because it would be time consuming. And I am happy to shave every two days. I do typical 3 pass to achieve BBS. Today I tried to do 2 pass WTG XTG using Rockwell 6C @ 5, but it is not efficient to do that. I will try to do 2 pass again with plate 6 and see how. The main problem is that my mustache area is more sensitive to ATG, and also my skill is sucks still (2 months into wetshaving now). I can get irritarion free ATG on mustache area, but I have to be careful and light touch ride the cap. But I always feel like the blade is digging into my mustache area, and sometimes this cause nicks and weepers. Other part of my face has no problem at all.

Main objective of my post is to figure out which direction I want to go with my next razor purchase. Should I go with Blackbird and do 2 pass shave. Or go with milder Tatara combo and do typical 3 pass shave.

Thanks for all the comments before this :D
To get efficiency and a smooth ATG pas your best option might be an adjustable, or to switch base plate for the last pass.

To get efficiency and a smooth ATG pas your best option might be an adjustable, or to switch base plate for the last pass.
Yeah, before this I tried progressive reduction. I use plate 2 for last ATG pass and it feels good. But I am lazy to switch the plate, an adjustable razor would be useful in that.

Top Bottom