What's new

Efficiency of the morning shave

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share opinions on efficiency of your early morning shaves. Typically, we wake up, jump under the shower and then shave, brush teeth etc... However, I found that immediately after waking up my facial skin is ever so slightly swollen and the whiskers sink into the skin a bit. It takes about half an hour or so for my skin to recede and a warm shower doesn't help that. If I shave in this state, after the skin recedes, my whiskers are exposed, which leaves the impression of not so close of a shave.
Lately, I started doing something different: The first thing after wake up is to splash my face 2-3 times with cold water. This seems to help to reverse this skin swell. After that I can shower and shave.
So, have you observed something similar? I remember my granddad was doing the same thing. The very first thing he would do after going out of bed was to splash his face with cold water. I never asked him why, but this could have been the reason.

Lucky you. I seldom have the luxury of time in the morning. I start work at 7:30 AM (mostly to avoid traffic), so my first coffee for the day is usually at my desk.

My breakfast during work days is usually in the form of a cup of coffee or tea and a couple of cookies in the office kitchen or at my desk. My first serious meal for the day is at 11:30 AM.

I guess, we went a bit off topic here. My question was, do you experience this slight swelling of the facial skin immediately after going out of bed, and how it is affecting the efficiency of your morning shave in the cases when you don't have the time to wait for it to recede.

So my work schedule changes/ flip flops every week.

One week I work early days and shave right out of bed at 0430.

The next week I work evenings about 2-10pm. When I work evenings I wake up around 8am have breakfast get a workout in and then shower and shave before lunch.

Then the next week back to early mornings. You get the idea.

The point is, I find no difference in the efficiency of my shaves right out of bed, or quite a few hours later.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wouldn't really know as I don't shave immediately after getting out of bed. I first need at least one cup of tea before shaving with a SR.

I suppose I could drink a cup of tea in bed before getting out of bed and immediately shaving. Tomorrow is Sunday so I might give it a go and see what happens.

On board the ship, my shift starts at 0400
I wake up 0330 and brush my teeth while soap blooms, and then I shave
At home, it' similar, I wake up around 0600 and brush my teeth and shave after
I found that if I shave like this, it's best shave for my face
Any ither time (even after shower) causes neck iritation

Sorry I've never experienced any facial puffiness that wasn't associated with a broken tooth or a black eye. I get up , go straight to the shower, then brush teeth and shave. Now I am a cold water shaver year round so maybe this helps me with any puffiness I haven't noticed.

I guess, we went a bit off topic here. My question was, do you experience this slight swelling of the facial skin immediately after going out of bed, and how it is affecting the efficiency of your morning shave in the cases when you don't have the time to wait for it to recede.
I have the same issue. I will try the cold 🥶 water thing.
I shave every day (morning after a shower), usually with a straight razor. Sometimes, especially if I did not sleep well I usually have some swelling. Cold splash before I strop my razor maybe. It helps to be more alert when handling sharp objects.

Top Bottom