What's new

Effect of Draw on Strop Performance

So, how exactly does draw effect strop performance anyway - or does it? On balance, does a slower draw align those teeth any better than one with a lighter draw?

My current 'go to' strop is a real nice piece of horse with a relatively light draw, but with some nice feedback. A real good feel. I generally keep a light touch and generate some quality laps at ~good speed. There is a noticeable bump in the edge keeness as well as smoothness of the shave. On another strop with much more draw, I don't get quite the same bump.
Does the draw itself really effect the edge, or is this just something about how the draw changes the way that we interact with the strop? Or (C), should I bring my lunch or just walk to work? :letterk1:

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I think different razors respond to different amounts of draw. Some seem to do well with light draw strops, other do well with more draw. For the most part I simply choose a strop based on how it will feel in use. On a heavy wedge I feel like I want more draw to slow down the stropping....kind of like putting the brakes on the operation. On really light, full hollow grinds I like a really light draw so the razor just glides along.

In the end I am not sure we can say that a certain draw, heavy or light works better with the most razor types. Much is personal preference, how much pressure we use and variation in even the same type of leather cut from different individual hides.

Tony

Legion

Staff member
I agree with Tony. The strop I use has two different types of leather, one with a light draw and one a bit heavier. Depending on the razor grind and width I can choose which side I want to use, or use both in combination. They both work, but it is more a tactile "this seems to be the right tool for this job" kind of thing.

I think different razors respond to different amounts of draw. Some seem to do well with light draw strops, other do well with more draw. For the most part I simply choose a strop based on how it will feel in use. On a heavy wedge I feel like I want more draw to slow down the stropping....kind of like putting the brakes on the operation. On really light, full hollow grinds I like a really light draw so the razor just glides along.

In the end I am not sure we can say that a certain draw, heavy or light works better with the most razor types. Much is personal preference, how much pressure we use and variation in even the same type of leather cut from different individual hides.

Tony

Though I'd never heard it conjugated this way, it does make a lot of sense; nothing I've used seems to work as well on extra hollows as those cordovan shell pieces (wafer thin and slickest thing I've stropped upon), but if someone buys a Le Grelot it hardly feels like the strop that works best. This would explain why wedges and latigo hides are my least favorites; they're ideal together.

I have developed a natural preference to hollow ground razors, and also to strops with less draw. Maybe that is the connection.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think effectiveness doesn't always accompany satisfaction...meaning a strop with draw that you prefer will allow you do a better job. If you don't like a heavy draw, I can't imagine that you will strop as well as on a something with a lighter draw that you love. I prefer a heavier draw, to the point I am looking for ways to increase the draw on one of my strops....

Top Bottom