What's new

Edwin Jagger teasing new Razor

Makes no odds to me. My technique doesn't need more rigidity than their standard head currently provides. My zamac Jagger is still my No.1 razor.

Your technique is where only the blade edge (don't use either the cap or baseplate as a guide) touches the skin? Think another user mentioned it to me. Wish I loved my DE89 as much as you do. It's probably one of the bigger mistakes I made in wetshaving.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Your technique is where only the blade edge (don't use either the cap or baseplate as a guide) touches the skin? Think another user mentioned it to me. Wish I loved my DE89 as much as you do. It's probably one of the bigger mistakes I made in wetshaving.

Yeah, I try to keep between cap and comb, and use a featherlight touch. So I'm aiming for blade only, even though both cap and comb do both make contact throughout the shave, a bit like stabilisers on a kids bike.

Yeah, I try to keep between cap and comb, and use a featherlight touch. So I'm aiming for blade only, even though both cap and comb do both make contact throughout the shave, a bit like stabilisers on a kids bike.

That works OK for fine hair or if you have time for extensive prep.

I think those of us who need to shim the DE89 have coarse facial hair. For example, I need to shave twice-daily, and if I let my beard grow out for a few days, I can scour dirty pots and pans with it.

Still, I like my DE89, and shimming is only a minor hassle. I’ll be interested to see what this is.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That works OK for fine hair or if you have time for extensive prep.

I think those of us who need to shim the DE89 have coarse facial hair. For example, I need to shave twice-daily, and if I let my beard grow out for a few days, I can scour dirty pots and pans with it.

Still, I like my DE89, and shimming is only a minor hassle. I’ll be interested to see what this is.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say you're wrong, I personally don't put a lot of credibility in the blade rigidity thing. The reason I say that, is that I don't see the blade in a Jagger razor flexing more than the blade on a hollow ground straight razor.

While there are safety razor users who swear by blade rigidity, you don't see straight razor users insisting on using wedge grinds, and in fact wedges are/were not the most common razors by a long stretch. That says to me that straight razor shavers are doing something different to safety razor shavers.

When I first moved to straight, aside from having to hold it in the "wrong" place, I took to it quite quickly, and it was many shaves before I drew blood. Within a dozen shaves, I was getting reasonably close shaves, with minimal irritation. This suggests to me, that my safety razor technique was similar to how I need to use a straight.

My Jagger shaves me fine. My straights shave me fine. I don't do extensive prep (though I do prep longer for straight), and don't consider I have fine hair either. My handling just works well with those tools on my face.

That doesn't of course mean that this would work for everyone, but it's not necessarily the case that those who are successful in getting great shaves with DE razors that aren't hard clamped, have easy faces to shave.

Top Bottom