What's new

Edwin Jagger Synthetic brushes - probably/maybe the best synthetics out there

I have been on the search for the beat synthetic brush out there and I have tried a bunch of different brushes and have come to the conclusion that Edwin Jagger makes the best synthetic brushes out there. Now performance wise, the Men-U premier brush is up there too but the handle is cheap and nasty. Here are the EJs that I have:

I have included the Muhle in there because it's a Jagger head.

Now the reason for this post is a bit of a warning - not all these brushes are created equal.

The majority of the brushes have a white bristled head with a very soft feel. Two of them have darker brown bristles which feel thicker and don't always end in soft tip making them pokey and uncomfortable in use.

Here's a pic of the heads:

The head on the left is the good one, the one on the right which is more yellow in colour is the poorer one.

Now Edwin Jagger does not tell you which head is going to be on your brush, they are all labeled as synthetic. Price doesn't help either as the good bristles are on the cheap travel brushes as well as the most expensive. The crappy bristles are on the mid priced stand brush also.

I'm going to contact Edwin Jagger and find out if there is a pattern to which types of bristles are used on their brushes but I suspect it's a bit of a lottery. I'm particularly disappointed that the rubberized handle brush has the crappy bristles as the handle is wonderful...

Interesting.

I've just purchased the ivory brush with the stand, to me the bristles seem quite stiff and pokey, which is quite anoying.

I'll be keen to hear what EJ have to say........

Just had an email from EJ, they admit that several of their brushed had the old sythetic fibre, the darker one.

They have now updated their website to include information regarding the type of sythetic fibres used in each brush. They have also offered to exchange my brush for one of the new type.

A big thumbs up for The English Shaving Company customer service :thumbup:

I too got a reply from TESC. Their customer service certainly is excellent and now is an excellent time to take advantage of the weak £ and spend your $!!

They also mentioned that they saw the review here on B&B! Good to see that the vendors are watching forums like this to get feedback on their products!

Here's the story:
The original Edwin Jagger synthetic fibre has very recently been replaced with a newly developed fibre. All the new Edwin Jagger synthetic brushes are being filled with this fibre.

The rubberised handle brush is not an Edwin Jagger manufacture brush and as such cannot be filled with the new synthetic fill. These brushes are now discontinued in the Edwin Jagger range in favour of the new fill.

The majority of the former Crabtree and Evelyn stock brushes have been filled with the New Synthetic fibre but some, which were already filled, have gone out with the former version.

Edwin Jagger is happy for us to return any brushes for exchange.

Now here is the real news.
The C&E brushes are on sale at 50% off. You can get what I think is the best synthetic brush head on the market for the bargain price of $25. This blows the Men-U offering out of the water!

I don't see them on the website. Are they in the stores where you are?

Never mind! I went to the C&E website and didn't see that you had linked it already.

How does your travel brush compare to the other brushes? Is it too light and too small for everyday use?

Last edited:
How does your travel brush compare to the other brushes? Is it too light and too small for everyday use?

The ivory travel brush is just as good as a regular brush. It's great - I used it this morning.

The black travel brush has the same head and performs just as well as the others. I just find the handle a little small for my pudgy fingers! It builds good lather I'm just more likely to drop it!

Oh, the temptation!

I have a sintex that albeit isn't luxurious, whips up great lather from either soaps or creams. The only time I face lather is when I'm traveling.

Great Report Siv!!

is there a knot size or loft size to look out for?
or is the only difference between the alibaba handle and the travel brush the handle style?

and

where is the promo code?!?! TE0109
edit: found it Here

Last edited:
Looking at the brushes, the (new fill) all have the same size head with the exception of the black travel - it seems to have a smaller head.

Of course, this is based on only my eye...

edit:

Did research, figured it out. So, basically the reason synthetics exist is because people don't want to kill badgers?

Last edited:
Now Edwin Jagger does not tell you which head is going to be on your brush, they are all labeled as synthetic. Price doesn't help either as the good bristles are on the cheap travel brushes as well as the most expensive. The crappy bristles are on the mid priced stand brush also.

I'm going to contact Edwin Jagger and find out if there is a pattern to which types of bristles are used on their brushes but I suspect it's a bit of a lottery. I'm particularly disappointed that the rubberized handle brush has the crappy bristles as the handle is wonderful...

Now Edwin Jagger does not tell you which head is going to be on your brush, they are all labeled as synthetic.

After seeing this thread they have now changed their website. All the ones with the new fill have "new" in the description.

After seeing this thread they have now changed their website. All the ones with the new fill have "new" in the description.

i ordered one, but only with siv's help as the website is NOT easy to navigate considering the promotion. however, it did specifically specify the "New Synthetics"

Siv, I've been considering buying a couple of EJ sythetics, the little black travel brush and the Chatsworth, except in black. My question, how do they perform when face lathering?

The ivory travel brush is just as good as a regular brush. It's great - I used it this morning.

The black travel brush has the same head and performs just as well as the others. I just find the handle a little small for my pudgy fingers! It builds good lather I'm just more likely to drop it!

Are both travel brushes and tubes the same height, and how tall are they?

Last edited:
i ordered one, but only with siv's help as the website is NOT easy to navigate considering the promotion. however, it did specifically specify the "New Synthetics"

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to get one for $25 and just gave up. Are you guys getting these for $25 delivered? If not, how much does shipping add to the deal?

~Jeff

To read about the promotion etc and how to get it to work, see this thread. The post by DavidCar is the one you want.

The EJ synthetics are far superior to the Body Shop ones - they are far softer on the face, easier to make lather with and the handles are much higher quality.

I wouldn't buy the black travel - get the ivory travel. The head is bigger on the ivory, the handle more substantial and the tube size is the same.

I put one in the basket and this is the cost breakdown:
Basket Total $25.44
Total Tax $3.32
Carriage $7.16
Total $32.60
Total to Pay $29.27 (Tax has been deducted from this export order)

So basically just under $30 and if you buy more, the incremental shipping is not that much.

Did I answer everyone's questions?

Great post, thanks for sharing. I thought about picking up a synthetic just to have one in my den. I'll be checking back here when I do.

Top Bottom