What's new

Edwin Jagger Synthetic brushes - probably/maybe the best synthetics out there

To read about the promotion etc and how to get it to work, see this thread. The post by DavidCar is the one you want.

The EJ synthetics are far superior to the Body Shop ones - they are far softer on the face, easier to make lather with and the handles are much higher quality.

I wouldn't buy the black travel - get the ivory travel. The head is bigger on the ivory, the handle more substantial and the tube size is the same.

I put one in the basket and this is the cost breakdown:
Basket Total $25.44
Total Tax $3.32
Carriage $7.16
Total $32.60
Total to Pay $29.27 (Tax has been deducted from this export order)

So basically just under $30 and if you buy more, the incremental shipping is not that much.

Did I answer everyone's questions?

Wow, talk about jumping through hoops. :w00t: I failed to get it to work with the discount again last night, but managed to place an order this morning. Thanks for finding this for us. I look forward to trying the brush.

~Jeff

I ordered one up (with a stand) yesterday with some soaps, I was able to get the discount (with some effort). Looking forward to using this brush as I am not a fan of badger or boar.

I'm wondering how this brush will compare with the synthetics made by Muhle? I'd like to order up a Muhle R89, and have thought of trying one of their Vegan synthetic brushes as well.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how this brush will compare with the synthetics made by Muhle? I'd like to order up a Muhle R89, and have thought of trying one of their Vegan synthetic brushes as well.

The last Muhle I bought had exactly the same head as the new EJ.

Josh, you got the same travel brush that I'm about to get. Have you tried it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Major props to the ESC - Mine showed up in less than a week (and that includes overseas shipping)!

As for the brush, I love it. Super soft, creates great lather and looks snazzy to boot. I'm a vegetarian and try to limit my use of animal products, so it's great to have a premium-quality brush like this available.

Through some twist of fate, I have procured both a the EJ synthetic and EJ best badger.

I am incredibly impressed with the quality of the synthetic! Its stiff, but the tips are really soft! It works up lather really good and gosh darn it, it holds water good too. Well worth the price tag.

However, I got my BB brush today and used it. Besides the stink of badger, it outperformed the synthetic in all respects. Holds more water, much softer on the face; especially if you face lather. And the quality of the lather was much better.

Caveat: I am no expert at whipping up lather, esp. with a synthetic, but...I'm sorry little badgers, you make too good of a brush.

Caveat: I am no expert at whipping up lather, esp. with a synthetic, but...I'm sorry little badgers, you make too good of a brush.
Well for those that will only use synthetic, it is a moot point. :)

I have been using a EJ synthetic going on 3 weeks and have learned to make an exceptional lather with it. So when my EJ silvertip arrived, I tested the two side by side.

The silvertip does outperform the synthetic, obviously, but not by that much. It does whip up lather faster, using less soap, than the synthetic, but the quality of the lather is pretty close. I'd say I can create a lather with the synth that is around 90-95% of the quality of the silvertip.

Personally, I think 90-95% of a quality lather is technique and soap, the other 5% is the brush. YMMV.

I still love my EJ synthetic, and will still be using it on a regular basis, especially for creams.

C

coffeguy

I just bought one of the new fibre synthetic brushes, best brush I have ever tryed. I use the the soap also Aloe vera Nice lather
Take a look on Ebay this seller sells some Edwin Jagger products

Thanks for the good info. Maybe my GF will get one of those travel brushes for me, since she makes such a sad face when I talk about badgers these days.

good colection man and thanks for the advice.I wanted to buy a Omega one but after seeing the EJ ones I think that I want to try them.what about the Muhle?how does it performs?

I use the Body Shop synthetic my wife got me. It whips up a good, lucious lather. You just have to use a painting kind of motion to get it on your face. I use Tabac in the bowl most of the time but also use the Body Shop Maca Root cream shave, which my wife also gave me, and am able to lather this on my face. This is a really inexpensive brush, $11, and my other brush is an old boar bristle. I like it, too, but it is on its last leg. I prefer to use a synthetic because only synthetics had to die for me to shave. I like that they dry quickly because I can take this one on the road with me and not have a wet brush in my bag. I use the toilet paper tube brush holder. Very sophisticated. All in all, probably not as good as a nice badger, but works in spite of it. But I now want one of the EJ brushes. Damn AD.

Last edited:
Try Jack Black.
Don't. Waste of $85 if you ask me. Mine is just an expensive shelf ornament.

good colection man and thanks for the advice.I wanted to buy a Omega one but after seeing the EJ ones I think that I want to try them.what about the Muhle?how does it performs?
The Muhle is great - it has the same head as the EJ.

By the way, the large Omega synthetico brushes have a pretty decent head also. If you want a larger soft and floppy knot (relative to the EJ) then an Omega 346235 is a good choice.

Well for those that will only use synthetic, it is a moot point. :)

I have been using a EJ synthetic going on 3 weeks and have learned to make an exceptional lather with it. So when my EJ silvertip arrived, I tested the two side by side.

The silvertip does outperform the synthetic, obviously, but not by that much. It does whip up lather faster, using less soap, than the synthetic, but the quality of the lather is pretty close. I'd say I can create a lather with the synth that is around 90-95% of the quality of the silvertip.

Personally, I think 90-95% of a quality lather is technique and soap, the other 5% is the brush. YMMV.

I still love my EJ synthetic, and will still be using it on a regular basis, especially for creams.

Completely agree, quality of the lather is the same. I still think its a great brush no matter its faults.

Completely agree, quality of the lather is the same. I still think its a great brush no matter its faults.
I tried going back afterward and editing that last sentence out but too late. Oh well. Honestly, I end up using the EJ synthetic more than the silvertip, and am getting ready to buy a second synthetic. It is quite a versatile brush, and actually uses a little less soap then the silvertip (but the silvertip is 3x the volume).

Personally, I blame my SBAD all on Siv . . . If he had not posted up this thread, I would have ended up with a Men-u or some boring Shavemac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom