What's new

Edwin Jagger soaps

Hey all, happy holidays!

Among my Christmas gifts was a 3-pack of EJ soaps, one each of Sandalwood, Sea Buckthorn, and Aloe Vera scents. What are yall's thoughts on these? How easily do they lather? How well do they perform?

In my experience they work a lot better in a bigger bowl or turned into a stick. Use a healthy amount of product and they take a lot of water. They all are scented great, especially the sea buckthorn and perform pretty good. I have also perceived an outer layer that I had to get through initially.

I have the aloe version, and really like it. I face lather, using a Muhle HJM black fibre (fairly small synthetic) brush and I have somewhat hard water. There are threads and a YouTube video on how to lather it; some people report problems lathering it. You need to wet the soap's surface--which is quite hard, at least initially--for a few minutes. You can use either the drier or wetter brush approach. It may require 60 seconds or more of loading (something like MWF). The resulting lather is, for me, rich and moisturizing.

I have the sea buckthorn which is a great soap, however it is tricky to lather. Use a stiff brush, start drier and face lather, this is what works for me.

I have a puck of the EJ Aloe Vera in my EJ apothecary mug (seemed fitting.... literally it fit perfect). The scent is divine. Aloe vera doesn't sound like much but the scent is heavenly. My problem was when I first started using it I could not get it to lather using my badger brushes. They are very hard soaps and need softened up with water and time. Then I got my boar brushes and started using the EJ soap to do test lathers to break them in. Now I can get a great lather out of this soap and it's looking like it might be the first puck of soap that I get completely through. Anyway, moral of the story is that I can get a great, slick lather out of this soap with a nice boar brush and some time with a little water on the puck prior to loading.

Ben

Top Bottom