What's new

Edwin Jagger or Merkur Vision

I've posted this question already at SMF under the Trumper or Vision folder. Chris Fisher suggest an EJ razor instead and I've looked at them and really like what I've seen. Does anyone here have any opinion on the Edwin Jagger razor or the Vision. Just wondering as I have to get one of them for my upcoming b-day. I'm leaning more to the EJ as I already have a Futur, but would be interested in anyone's thoughts nonetheless.

Even though I haven't much expertise on the matter I couldn't resist replying to a fellow Sox fan.

I'm working in Geneva, Switzerland and decided to try a safety razor again. I went into the local shop and, after much to-ing and fro-ing, decided to take the Jagger instead of the Merkur. It seemed to have bit more heft to it, like the kind of bat Manny would use. I like it. Can't really comment on the differences between the two.

xcubbies said:
Even though I haven't much expertise on the matter I couldn't resist replying to a fellow Sox fan.

I'm working in Geneva, Switzerland and decided to try a safety razor again. I went into the local shop and, after much to-ing and fro-ing, decided to take the Jagger instead of the Merkur. It seemed to have bit more heft to it, like the kind of bat Manny would use. I like it. Can't really comment on the differences between the two.
I have been eyeing the light-horn handled Chattsworth for an eon, but just can't bring myself to buy one. (Note: I have five Merkurs, a 48 year-old Gillette Adjustable and a 60 or 70 year old Schick injector. Do I need another razor?:yesnod: ) I've been waiting for Randy to post a picture of his Jagger Razor, which I am sure would push me over the edge.. (No pun intended of course) If I understand it correctly, the head is a Merkur HD or Classic head that has been chromed and affixed to a more stylish handle.
Anything you can type to give me an excuse (thereby becoming an enabler) appreciated.:lol1:

As you said, the head appears more or less identical to the Merkur. The handle is stocky, not exactly ornate, but with some columns and ziggles. The most significant difference, as I noted, was with the weight. I had some second thoughts about it just after I bought, imagining my arm too fatigued to surf the web all day. But now I find the weight pleasing, and perhaps I'm less likely to get lost thinking about baseball lineups while I shave.

guenron said:
I have been eyeing the light-horn handled Chattsworth for an eon, but just can't bring myself to buy one. (Note: I have five Merkurs, a 48 year-old Gillette Adjustable and a 60 or 70 year old Schick injector. Do I need another razor?:yesnod: ) I've been waiting for Randy to post a picture of his Jagger Razor, which I am sure would push me over the edge.. (No pun intended of course) If I understand it correctly, the head is a Merkur HD or Classic head that has been chromed and affixed to a more stylish handle.
Anything you can type to give me an excuse (thereby becoming an enabler) appreciated.:lol1:

Well, Ron, fear not. I plan to fire up the camera tonight and take those pics of the EJ for you!

xcubbies said:

xcubbies, You must have bought the Chatsworth line. I understand the razor has quite a bit of heft to it. I went with the faux ebony handled DE. It's a very nice razor, but the handle is plastic and consequently weighs considerably less than my Merkur Futur. Still though, I wouldn't trade my EJ DE for anything. It just has a look that screams class.

rschul2 said:
xcubbies, You must have bought the Chatsworth line. I understand the razor has quite a bit of heft to it. I went with the faux ebony handled DE. It's a very nice razor, but the handle is plastic and consequently weighs considerably less than my Merkur Futur. Still though, I wouldn't trade my EJ DE for anything. It just has a look that screams class.
I must admit, I am actually excited! RAD stand behind me.:drool:

Well boys, here it is--the Edwin Jagger Faux Ebony Chatsworth DE. Ok Ron, you can start your drooling.

full

Here is the razor again next to my Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super. It's a wonderfully dense brush, but the damn ink on the handle is already coming off.

full

Ron, I've looked at the imitation horn-handled Chatsworth--man what a beauty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy:

I too have been eyeing one of those for the last 6 months. It is an elegant looking razor. Ron, hurry up an order one so I can look at it!:smile:

Jerry

My razor is definitely not the Chatsworth. It's all stainless steel, could be nickel, simple design with teeth, short handle. The box in which it came had no name.

xcubbies, got a name? The name Chatsworth is the design, not the particular metal or plastic in this case. There is the Chatsworth lined (metal) and another model that is metal that I can't remember right now. There is also the Chatsworth line that has a faux ivory, ebony, and horn. I imagine that these three models have a plastic handle, but the EJ razor I posted above is indeed a Chatsworth. Check out this page to see all of the models offered. http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi/@cTraditional Safety Razors@b

Yes, Rshul2, mine is the first traditional razor shown on the link you provided. Seems like a may have paid a bit more than I should, but what the hey. I'm enjoying using it and haven't scarred myself in several weeks. I'm currently playing around with several locally made (French) olive oil based artisanal soaps with considerable satisfaction. They're enormous and relatively inexpensive. The odor, well, I guess I'd have to say like olive oil on a freshly tossed salad.

Top Bottom