What's new

Edwin Jagger for Crabtree and Evelyn

Several years ago when I was returning to classical wet shaving, I went to Crabtree and Evelyn to see what they had in their nearby store. To my delight they had a selection of Edwin Jagger brushes made especially for Crabtree and Evelyn. I bought a Best Badger as I liked the shape of the handle and the price was very reasonable (center brush below). Somewhere in the back of my mind the issue of a smaller, stiffer brush being more effective with hard soaps came forward and this became the perfect brush. Shortly after starting back on the only true path to shaving grace, I had to take a trip to the east coast and decided that this was the perfect excuse to buy the little Edwin Jagger traveler's brush in Pure Badger (leftmost brush below). Both brushes have proven themselves to be worth their weight in gold. Finally, a couple of weeks ago the twin siren songs of Brush Acquisition Disorder and Save 20% came together and I scored the Super Badger on the right of the picture.

full

All great brushes. They do the job of building lather well and are not especially expensive. If you have always wondered about the difference in efficacy or feel presented by the different grades of badger, here is a reasonable way to satisfy your curiosity and get great lather generators in the bargain.:badger:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

Great looking side by side comparison pic.

I've been looking to get another decent quality brush on the cheap. I didn't even consider C&E while that 20% off was still good...

-Nick

I have the Super Badger shown on the right. Although I have not used a lot of other brushes, this one works perfectly for me. I very rarely have a problem generating lather. Works well on both soap and cream.

What makes it even better is the price I paid for it. When I was getting into wet shaving I was scouring e-bay and found this brush being offered by a new seller with zero feedback. $25 (shipped in Canada) later and I owned a Super Badger brush. One of the best deals I have ever gotten online.

I just took delivery of a silver tip badger from Ems Place. Although it was not cheap, it was well worth it. The feel is heads above the Vulfix that I previously had, and the lathering is better. I believe her brushes are from Shavemac and if you visit the Shavemac web site, you can order a custom made brush.

water said:
I have the Super Badger shown on the right. Although I have not used a lot of other brushes, this one works perfectly for me. I very rarely have a problem generating lather. Works well on both soap and cream.

What makes it even better is the price I paid for it. When I was getting into wet shaving I was scouring e-bay and found this brush being offered by a new seller with zero feedback. $25 (shipped in Canada) later and I owned a Super Badger brush. One of the best deals I have ever gotten online.
The gods of lather smiled on you that day! I think that a more apt term than deal would be steal! Normally that is an $85 (US) brush! Hopefully that helps you enjoy it even more.:smile:

Very nice Ron!
Alas I must shamefully admit to only owning one brush. My coveted ShaveMac special. :redface:

Rik said:
Very nice Ron!
Alas I must shamefully admit to only owning one brush. My coveted ShaveMac special. :redface:
Variety is the spice of life! And sales make it possible!:w00t:

Gents
Quite a few of you seem to like these brushes. Please commment on the stiffness of the bristles and the softness of the tips of the Super badger (the brush on the right in Ron's picture), and whether you think this brush is better suited for a hard soap or a cream.
Thanks,

Mahesh, it is of the soft and floppy school of brushes. Very luxurious. I find myself using it for creams more.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I got the travel brush this summer right before heading off to te beach for a week. I got the large one a few weeks ago at the 20% off sale but since it's a present I have not tried it yet. I also got one of their boar bristle brushes with the brown handle.

I still have a 15 year old CE badger/bristle combination brush I like very much but...........I am almost embarassed to say I still reach for my Burma Shave brush 5 out of 7 days <g>.

Tony Miller

Tony:

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on your new large C&E brush after you get a chance to use it. It will feel totally different than the travel brush or the Burma shave brush. Try it on a cream first if you can. It's very soft and luxurious.

Enjoy

Jerry

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Jerry,
I plan to use it tomorrow. We do our Christmas celebration this evening where I can finally play with the brush <g>. I have a tube of CE Nomad creme too to try it with.

Full report tomorrow. I do find the travel brush very floppy but then again I have always been a bristle/hard soap guy and expect a firm brush. The sample tube of Nomad openned my eyes to other choices and there maybe a less than firm brush may be ideal.

Tony Miller

Tony,

Nomad will be in my next odor from C&E. I have their Sienna and Almond, both are great, but the almond has a scent that heats up the room!!! I passed on my Taylor's almond and kept the C&E.

Randy

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Okay,
I now one test is not enough to rate a brush but, I find this one to be very floppy too. It does feel really nice against my face but with so many bristles and such a wide spread I don't feel like I am in control of the lather. I have this image in my head of one of those big floppy mops at the car wash, covered with lather and I am trying to put my cheek up against it.

I can already tell you I should have purchased the one pictured in the middle instead. The Nomad though was a winner.

Tony

Gents,

Just wanted to pass on my extreme satisfaction with the C&E Travel brush. I picked it up a few weeks ago for my travel kit. That combined with the Nomad shaving cream in a tube is a hands-down winner. Nomad smells great The badger brush is pure badger, so for those used to silver tip, this will feel quite a bit coarser

Top Bottom