What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L

I received my Edwin Jagger DE89L in the post yesterday and tried it for the first time this morning.

All I can say is what a lovely razor this is, beautifully finished with fantastic build quality, nice weight and balance. The shave quality is very impressive and although the head is a little different from my Gillettes and Merkurs it gave a really comfortable, close and irritation free shave.

I get the impression that this razor gets a little overlooked in favour of the Merkurs and vintage Gillettes, but to my mind it is up there with the very best razors available.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts, would be great to see what the general view is of the DE89L.

S

siouxsie

It doesn't get overlooked, maybe you just haven't seen the posts. It is viewed very favorably in general.

I'm nervous of the grip on the EJ 89's, L or unL. The Mühle R89 fixes that, but for a premium. Either way, highly regarded as an excellent shaver.

Congrats! :thumbup1:

The handle is the only part I don't like-I do find myself wiping it off on a towel during passes. I'm debating about buying an after-market one, but the provided handle does look nice sitting on the sink...

It doesn't get overlooked, maybe you just haven't seen the posts. It is viewed very favorably in general.

Yeah, it seems like every day there is a new thread extolling the virtues of the EJ DE89L or one of its unlined brethren.

I have one BTW, and it is awesome.

The handle is the only part I don't like-I do find myself wiping it off on a towel during passes. I'm debating about buying an after-market one, but the provided handle does look nice sitting on the sink...

I had the same problem with the 89L -- I loved the way it shaved but I found that I had to wipe off my hands too frequently when shaving with it. I found the solution for this in a handle (an "Improved" handle) made by Cooncatbob. (If you are not familiar with his work, you can look up his member information on B&B and/or do a google search for "Bob's Razor Works.") The new handle and 89 head are such a great combination that I use this razor about 99% of the time now.

I really like my R89 and DE86.

With the free shipping at TESC, I may also wind up with one or two others in the Muhle line. :biggrin1:

I had the same problem with the 89L -- I loved the way it shaved but I found that I had to wipe off my hands too frequently when shaving with it. I found the solution for this in a handle (an "Improved" handle) made by Cooncatbob. (If you are not familiar with his work, you can look up his member information on B&B and/or do a google search for "Bob's Razor Works.") The new handle and 89 head are such a great combination that I use this razor about 99% of the time now.

+1. I put one of Bob's XL Ultra Lite anodized black aluminum handles on my DE89 and haven't looked back!

The EJs are great. I had the unlined one and had no problem with grip. And the shaves are outstanding. You made a wise choice.

I have the EJ DE87 (faux ivory handle) and love it! I've been shaving with it every day for the past 2 or 3 weeks and I haven't really had any issues with the handle being slippery.

I bought mine from BST and there was a slight gap between the faux ivory section and the chrome knob at the end. I put a small rubber ring onto the end of the handle to see if that would help to keep gunk out of the gap. While I don't know if it is accomplishing its intended purpose it has helped to give me a little more grip or at least a non-slippery ridge at the end of the handle.

I just ordered a DE89L today! I can't wait for it to arrive. I've heard it's a RAD killer, although I'd like to think I'm already in remission. No, never mind. The fact that I bought a razor today pretty much undoes that whole "remission" business, doesn't it?

You bought yourself one fine razor. The DE89L is one of the best I've used, and I have a number of vintage Gillettes, Goodfella, Futur, Vision, Mergress, Pils, and Feather Stainless. All of them are quite good, but the DE89L is wonderful.

The handle is pretty good and doesn't get too slippery when I use it. However, I have been thinking about slipping a few dollars to Cooncatbob for a nice knurled handle. That would make it just about perfect.

Well, second day of using the DE89L and still no irritation and close to a BBS shave.

I haven't found the handle difficult to grip when wet, but I can see how opinons can vary on this.

Overall I just can't fault this razor:thumbup:

The DE89L is definitely one of the better razors available today. I own its close relative, the DE86, and think it's a great razor.

Top Bottom