What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Best bang for buck. I’d have to do a search to see when I bought mine, but it has been many happy years now.

Next up for me is a Henson AL13 which I just ordered a few minutes ago.

The EJ DE89 is one of the most successful double edge razor designs of all time for a reason. It works very well for many shavers. While Zamak isn’t as durable as stainless steel, with proper care the razor should last a very long time. I imagine that you will still be able to buy another one at an affordable price if it should fail 20 or 30 years from now.

I used a DE89 for 10 years before I started having trouble with the screw, the usual point of failure. I've read that they're now using brass for the screw. If that's true, the problem is solved. If that's false, just put some silicone grease on the threads each time you change blades. A great, great razor.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Among modern razors the "89" Series is unquestionably my all-time favourite. Currently, in my den I have the following:

- Edwin Jagger DE89 Knurled
- Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley
- Edwin Jagger Kelvin
- Mühle R89
- Gillette Heritage Inspired

The above shavers all feature the same excellent mild head and provide a clean, close and efficient shave. Truly love them all.

I think the attitudes towards zamak are more emotional than honestly practical. If the very idea of 316L stainless steel gives you a warm tingly feeling then go for it, but I'm not sure it's worth trying to claim a razor that costs 3-4 times as much but could theoretically provide good service to your grandchildren is necessarily better value.

I already own a Percy nobleman safety razor, which I believe is a copy of the Muhle r106. I love it so much I Just ordered an EJ de89 lined chrome handle.
The Gillette Heritage is on my Christmas list as well.

Top Bottom