What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89

I have the Muhle R89. It gives a as good a shave as razors costing 10X as much. Great with a sharp Feather or Astra SP. Highly recommend!

TJ Maxx and/or Marshalls were clearing out Art of Shaving razors made by Muhle. They were R89 heads with a slightly different handle for about $15. Amazon has the EJ DE89 on sale from time to time for about $25.

View attachment 1081715
You can get a great shave with the R89 or DE89 with a sharper blade such as Feather or Nacet.

[mention]fast shaver [/mention] I have one of these new in the box I picked up at TJ Max for $3. It’s the same 89 head. I didn’t really need it but couldn’t pass up for that price. I’d let go of it for $10 just to cover my $9.30 priority mail cost. I’m not into visiting the counter these days. PM me if you’d like it and it’s yours.

If you can find the DE89 razor from Mühle or EJ otherwise for below $20, I could not recommend it more. For me it was my first razor until I went head first into the rabbit hole. At that price, hunt around for a SS handle and you should be set for a while. In my experience, it can also take a wide variety of blades.

The EJ gave me a very comfortable shave. However, the screw column broke and stuck in the handle. I believe if you buy direct from them, they will replace the razor. They are superb value, and flawless finish,

No brainer...pull the trigger, you will not have regrets with the 89, a lot of people deem the EJ89 as a newbie razor, but experience gets the most out of this one IMO, top tier in my list!

I am thinking of getting one. How does it perform on the neck area.? I have been looking on the Bay for a used one but, the price comes close to a new one. Any DE89 fans out there or should I look for some other razor that shaves like the DE89.?

It's a great razor and ideal for those new to de shaving looking for a fresh shiny and fantastically functional razor or those stepping out from the vintage razor sect!

It was the first new razor I bought as I had previously only ever used vintage ones and not only does it look good, it shaves well and the chrome plating is fantastic. It makes the chrome job on my Muhle look like that of a hot wheels toy car lol.. ok the Muhle finish isn't bad by any means but the EJ de89 chrome really is that good. The better the plating the longer it'll protect the alloy underneath! The grande handle is ideal for new comers too, it's long enough for control without being so heavy it lends to over pressure and bad form.

I also bought one for a friend who hadnt shaved with a de razor ever nor with a cartridge razor for about a decade so was as new as they come. He flew through his copper wire beard in two passes (with and against the grain) with an astra sp blade without so much as a scratch. I was quite shocked he wasnt a blooded mess so clearly his face is made of boot leather or his technique was flawless, I'm guessing the first one.

You will likely buy another razor and the de89 will inevitably get put aside but not because its flawed, but because wet shaving is enjoyable and relaxing and like magpies we are drawn to shiny objects. ;)

Funny, it's so easy to get caught up in the upgrade cycle that you forget how good that "starter" razor really was.
Getting my DE89 back in the rotation...............

The DE89 was my second DE razor after the Wilkinson Sword Classic. I’ve been so satisfied with it that I’ve used it at least 90% of the time for the past 7 years. It’s certainly helped stave off an addiction to buying lots of DE razors despite how great they look. I only own 5 other DE razors.

Good call on the EJ89. It was my first and only razor for about 5 years. I learned how not to destroy my face with that excellent mild/moderate razor. I echo the Nacet and GSB recommendations, they always performed well with the EJ89. The EJ89 only left my rotation in year 9 because I’m a big clumsy ox and broke it. Enjoy your new razor and many great shaves.

Hardcore EJ89 fan here. Pairing with Personna. Or Feather when I feel really confident. I own one for home use with really expensive, and really well made handle - just to pamper myself, and one simple chrome for travel - sadly not being used at the moment as all travel suspended in light of recent developments.
Check out TESC for good selection (not affiliated, nevertheless recommend wholeheartedly).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A Jagger DE3D14 has been my primary razor for several years now. The thread is now looking a little grim on the original top cap, but it has done the vast majority of my shaves for the last 6 or 7 years, so I've certainly had my money's worth from it.

I recently bought some spares for it to be sure I can keep it running for many years to come. A complete head is £13.50 with a free pack of Feather blades, and top cap alone is £7.50, again with a free pack of Feathers. I got both, so should be all set for another 10-15 years at least.

A Jagger DE3D14 has been my primary razor for several years now. The thread is now looking a little grim on the original top cap, but it has done the vast majority of my shaves for the last 6 or 7 years, so I've certainly had my money's worth from it.

I recently bought some spares for it to be sure I can keep it running for many years to come. A complete head is £13.50 with a free pack of Feather blades, and top cap alone is £7.50, again with a free pack of Feathers. I got both, so should be all set for another 10-15 years at least.

+1! Tough to beat that value proposition!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom