What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89

I am thinking of getting one. How does it perform on the neck area.? I have been looking on the Bay for a used one but, the price comes close to a new one. Any DE89 fans out there or should I look for some other razor that shaves like the DE89.?

I started with a DE89 and now have two, knurled handle and laser cut black handle plus a Muhle R89 with a rose gold handle. They all are great razors. I find they work best with a sharp blade and give a great shave.

Check Amazon, the Bay and they are carried on many shaving shops like Maggards, West Coast Shaving, etc. Or go direct to Edwin Jaggers site as they often have sales.

In my opinion you will not regret a DE89. Technique is the key to a great shave with it. Of course prep, the soap/cream and the blade make it all happen. Many say it’s a mild razor, and I agree with that statement, but I still can get a BBS shave with it.

TJ Maxx and/or Marshalls were clearing out Art of Shaving razors made by Muhle. They were R89 heads with a slightly different handle for about $15. Amazon has the EJ DE89 on sale from time to time for about $25.

aos-89.png
You can get a great shave with the R89 or DE89 with a sharper blade such as Feather or Nacet.

I am thinking of getting one. How does it perform on the neck area.? I have been looking on the Bay for a used one but, the price comes close to a new one. Any DE89 fans out there or should I look for some other razor that shaves like the DE89.?
If you search "Edwin Jagger Kelvin" on Amazon - the short handled EJ's are sometimes available for around $20. If you have flat lying neck hairs, you might want a little more efficient yet still mild/smooth razor like the Razorock MJ-90A. A number of internet retailers carry it as well as Italian Barber.

Edwin Jagger DE89 is my first DE razor and remains one of my best. Highly recommended.
There's a 10% sale for all razors now at The English Shaving Company aka Edwin Jagger. Go for it!

Theyre a good razor. Mild but not too mild. If you can afford it, Id upgrade to the EJ 3One6 though. It has all the good things of the DE89 but is better in every way. It costs $120 though...

It is a great razor and good technique will deal with any tricky area like the chin or neck. Not worth buying second hand as they are quite reasonably priced new.

My first razor. I stopped using it for years and recently went back to it and have been getting great shaves. One of my tops razors. Nice, smooth shaves. Highly recommended. Handle is a bit slippery, that is my only complaint. Great looking razor too.

Similar options are Occam's SS DE razor around $50, razorock MJ90, and the EJ 3 one 6.

I bought a Gillette Heritage which is reportedly a Muhle/EJ 89 head on a chromed knurled handle, and with knurled SS Maggard’s handle is perfect everywhere (incl. neck) with most blades, especially sharpish coated blades like Russian Gillettes. On Amazon some EJ 89 Razors are cheaper though. It shaves like my favorite Merkur Razors (34c,Progress)because of the way the head bends the blade. It is the mild head/sharp blade combo that works for me.

The EJ89 series are fine razors in the ‘mild/moderate’ range! Great shaver if you pair it with a sharp blade.

:a29: :a29:(At least IME!)

My EJ DE 89 is my favorite daily shaver. The keys for a BBS shave for me are:
- Angle of razor on skin, all razors have an optimum cutting angle, when you find and maintain it the razor cuts very close
- Sharper blade - use a blade on the sharp end of the spectrum... Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.
- Use a thinner lather - either pick a formless like Cremo orTrader Joe’s, or use less soap or more water to get a slick but thin coating on the skin.
- Lastly I cannot get a BBS without three passes and touch ups
Smooth shaving, relatively inexpensive razor, my desert island choice.

My EJ DE 89 is my favorite daily shaver. The keys for a BBS shave for me are:
- Angle of razor on skin, all razors have an optimum cutting angle, when you find and maintain it the razor cuts very close
- Sharper blade - use a blade on the sharp end of the spectrum... Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.
- Use a thinner lather - either pick a formless like Cremo orTrader Joe’s, or use less soap or more water to get a slick but thin coating on the skin.
- Lastly I cannot get a BBS without three passes and touch ups
Smooth shaving, relatively inexpensive razor, my desert island choice.
Are Nacet blades sharper than Silver Blues or Gillette Platinums?

I started with an EJ89LBL, and have, in the past 7 years, used it as my daily driver, with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. Over that time, I've carefully curated a very small collection of 14 razors, both Vintage Gillettes like an Old Type, NEW SC and LC, Tech, Super Speed, and modern razors like the Timeless .95, Karve B, AS-D2, and Rex Envoy. Each of these razors has supplied me, albeit with some practice, with BBS shaves. All of them have shaved me as close as the EJ89, but none of them has shaved me closer. If I didn't enjoy the variety and fun of using the different hardware, I could sell every other razor and be perfectly satisfied with my trusty EJ89. I recommend getting one and mastering it. Then, if you want, Branch out and explore. The skills you gain with the EJ89 will give you an appreciation for the differences between razors, and shorten the time required to adapt to another razor as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It was my first razor, and a fine one. It worked great on my neck, but you don't have my neck, my water, or my technique, so I think you'll need to find out for yourself. I can't imagine why it wouldn't do a good job.

The DE89 razor is a classic for good reason. I rate it about a 4 out of 10 in terms of mildness/aggression. When paired with a sharp blade like a Nacet or 7 O'clock Yellow, I get about as perfect a shave as I can get.

Top Bottom